I'm not sure if this will help the KVM camp at all but I have a very similar
situation. I have a Radeon 7970 and a Xonar DX which uses the same chipset and
pci-pcie bridge.

The best I could get passthrough to work in KVM was exactly the same as the
original poster's experience. I eventually got the 7970 working in the guest
but
it would not reset properly on guest restart or shutdown. After getting
frustrated with my experience I decided to try Xen. To my surprise both the
7970
and the Xonar DX worked perfectly on the first try and performance was
excellent.