On 01/11/2013 09:42:55 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

On 11.01.2013, at 02:10, Scott Wood wrote:

> struct kvm_device_attr {
>    __u32 device;

This needs some semantic specification. Is device a constant value? Is it the return value of CREATE_IRQCHIP?

As proposed, it's up to the architecture to provide that specification. In theory this could be used for things other than IRQ chips. We could still say that device creation functions return a valid device ID (if the device has any attributes), as well as have other architecture-specific ways of describing device IDs (static enumeration). Or we could have non-architecture-specific static enumeration. Or just require that all devices be explicitly created by something that returns the ID.

Do you have a preferred approach?

-Scott