On 25.02.2013, at 01:59, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 04:58:54PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
>> This is probably a stupid question, but why the
>> KVM_SET_IRQCHIP/KVM_SET_GSI_ROUTING interface is not appropriate for
>> your purposes?
>>
>> x86 sets up a default GSI->IRQCHIP PIN mapping on creation (during
>> KVM_SET_IRQCHIP), but it can be modified with KVM_SET_GSI_ROUTING.
>
> So, I see Scott already answered from the point of view of his MPIC
> emulation stuff, but I'll answer too from the point of view of my XICS
> emulation code.
>
> My understanding, possibly imperfect, is that in a real system the
> routing of GSIs to IOAPICs would either be hardwired or set up by the
> BIOS, described in ACPI tables, and not modified by the operating
> system.  Is that correct?  So my belief is that the GSI routing is
> fundamentally distinct from and handled differently from the routing
> of interrupts to CPUs, which is fully under the control of the OS.

It's a different layer. I guess there's really some confusion on names here :).
I'm always confused when I read "sources" and you apparently get confused when
you read about GSIs.

GSIs are an ACPI concept. It's not x86 specific, it's also not APIC specific.
It's just a global name space for IRQs.

Imagine you have 2 MPICs in your system. But you only want to use a single
token / numer to access any IRQ on any chip. That's where GSIs come into play.
They map different irqchip IRQs onto a flat number space. To speak with x86
names:

Virtualization perspective:

  QEMU -> GSI -> IOAPIC -> LAPIC -> CPU

Device perspective:

  Device irq line -> IOAPIC -> LAPIC -> CPU

The "IOAPIC" is the piece of hardware that interrupt lines get attached to. You
connect a pin on it to an irq pin of your device. That talks to the LAPIC to
actually schedule interrupts on target CPUs. The LAPIC then fetches interrupts
and pulls the CPU's interrupt line.

Of course, things are slightly more complicated in the x86 world, as everything
behind the IOAPIC also carries a payload defining which pin actually got
triggered, but you get the idea.

So really just consider GSIs as a "global flat number space" for irqchip pins.

Alex