On 07/24/2013 04:39:59 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

On 24.07.2013, at 11:35, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:21:11AM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
>>> Are not we going to use page_is_ram() from e500_shadow_mas2_attrib() as Scott commented?
>>
>> rWhy aren't we using page_is_ram() in kvm_is_mmio_pfn()?
>>

> Because it is much slower and, IIRC, actually used to build pfn map that allow
> us to check quickly for valid pfn.

Then why should we use page_is_ram()? :)

I really don't want the e500 code to diverge too much from what the rest of the kvm code is doing.

I don't understand "actually used to build pfn map...". What code is this? I don't see any calls to page_is_ram() in the KVM code, or in generic mm code. Is this a statement about what x86 does?

On PPC page_is_ram() is only called (AFAICT) for determining what attributes to set on mmaps. We want to be sure that KVM always makes the same decision. While pfn_valid() seems like it should be equivalent, it's not obvious from the PPC code that it is.

If pfn_valid() is better, why is that not used for mmap? Why are there two different names for the same thing?

-Scott