Hi,

Razya is out for a few days, so I will try to answer the questions as well
as I can:

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <m...@redhat.com> wrote on 26/11/2013 11:11:57 PM:

> From: "Michael S. Tsirkin" <m...@redhat.com>
> To: Abel Gordon/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL,
> Cc: Anthony Liguori <anth...@codemonkey.ws>, abel.gor...@gmail.com,
> as...@redhat.com, digitale...@google.com, Eran Raichstein/Haifa/
> IBM@IBMIL, g...@redhat.com, jasow...@redhat.com, Joel Nider/Haifa/
> IBM@IBMIL, kvm@vger.kernel.org, pbonz...@redhat.com, Razya Ladelsky/
> Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
> Date: 27/11/2013 01:08 AM
> Subject: Re: Elvis upstreaming plan
>
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:53:47PM +0200, Abel Gordon wrote:
> >

> > Anthony Liguori <anth...@codemonkey.ws> wrote on 26/11/2013 08:05:00
PM:

> > > Razya Ladelsky <ra...@il.ibm.com> writes:

<edit>

> > That's why we are proposing to implement a mechanism that will enable
> > the management stack to configure 1 thread per I/O device (as it is
today)
> > or 1 thread for many I/O devices (belonging to the same VM).
> >
> > > Once you are scheduling multiple guests in a single vhost device, you
> > > now create a whole new class of DoS attacks in the best case
scenario.

> > Again, we are NOT proposing to schedule multiple guests in a single
> > vhost thread. We are proposing to schedule multiple devices belonging
> > to the same guest in a single (or multiple) vhost thread/s.
> >

> I guess a question then becomes why have multiple devices?

If you mean "why serve multiple devices from a single thread" the answer is
that we cannot rely on the Linux scheduler which has no knowledge of I/O
queues to do a decent job of scheduling I/O.  The idea is to take over the
I/O scheduling responsibilities from the kernel's thread scheduler with a
more efficient I/O scheduler inside each vhost thread.  So by combining all
of the I/O devices from the same guest (disks, network cards, etc) in a
single I/O thread, it allows us to provide better scheduling by giving us
more knowledge of the nature of the work.  So now instead of relying on the
linux scheduler to perform context switches between multiple vhost threads,
we have a single thread context in which we can do the I/O scheduling more
efficiently.  We can closely monitor the performance needs of each queue of
each device inside the vhost thread which gives us much more information
than relying on the kernel's thread scheduler.
This does not expose any additional opportunities for attacks (DoS or
other) than are already available since all of the I/O traffic belongs to a
single guest.
You can make the argument that with low I/O loads this mechanism may not
make much difference.  However when you try to maximize the utilization of
your hardware (such as in a commercial scenario) this technique can gain
you a large benefit.

Regards,

Joel Nider
Virtualization Research
IBM Research and Development
Haifa Research Lab

 Phone: 972-4-829-6326 | Mobile: 972-54-3155635          (Embedded image moved
to file:
 E-mail: jo...@il.ibm.com
pic31578.gif)IBM