On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 09:16:25AM +0100, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 02:39:15PM +0100, Dave Martin wrote:
> > KVM_GET_REG_LIST should only enumerate registers that are actually
> > accessible, so it is necessary to filter out any register that is
> > not exposed to the guest.  For features that are configured at
> > runtime, this will require a dynamic check.
> >
> > For example, ZCR_EL1 and ID_AA64ZFR0_EL1 would need to be hidden
> > if SVE is not enabled for the guest.
>
> This implies that userspace can never access this interface for a vcpu
> before having decided whether such features are enabled for the guest or
> not, since otherwise userspace will see different states for a VCPU
> depending on sequencing of the API, which sounds fragile to me.
>
> That should probably be documented somewhere, and I hope the
> enable/disable API for SVE in guests already takes that into account.
>
> Not sure if there's an action to take here, but it was the best place I
> could raise this concern.

Fair point.  I struggled to come up with something better that solves
all problems.

My expectation is that KVM_ARM_SVE_CONFIG_SET is considered part of
creating the vcpu, so that if issued at all for a vcpu, it is issued
very soon after KVM_VCPU_INIT.

I think this worked OK with the current structure of kvmtool and I
seem to remember discussing this with Peter Maydell re qemu -- but
it sounds like I should double-check.

Either way, you're right, this needs to be clearly documented.

If we want to be more robust, maybe we should add a capability too,
so that userspace that enables this capability promises to call
KVM_ARM_SVE_CONFIG_SET for each vcpu, and affected ioctls (KVM_RUN,
KVM_GET_REG_LIST etc.) are forbidden until that is done?

That should help avoid accidents.

I could add a special meaning for an empty kvm_sve_vls, such that
it doesn't enable SVE on the affected vcpu.  That retains the ability
to create heterogeneous guests while still following the above flow.

Thoughts?

[...]

Cheers
---Dave