From: Anton Akhmerov <anton.akhmerov...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 8:41 AM
To: Joseph Weston (Aquent LLC - Canada) <v-jos...@microsoft.com>
Cc: kwant-discuss@kwant-project.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Kwant] Stability of the retarded Green's function
calculation

Hi Joe,

Computing the Green's function or the self-energy of the lead fails when a
terminated lead has a bound state at the energy we're looking at (so there's an
exact pole). For example a lead made out of a topological superconductor always
has this problem at zero energy. At the same time the mode solvers face no
singularities in this case. In linear algebra terms computing a self-energy
corresponds to partially fixing the order of Gaussian elimination, while the
most general case may require pivoting incompatible with this order.

That's what concerns stability. The speed difference is, I think,
insignificant: the number of right hand sides is smaller with the modes solver
since we use one per incoming mode, not one per degree of freedom. However in
practice obtaining the LU decomposition causes the largest slowdown.

Cheers,
Anton