On 23 August 2013 21:11, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> 1) What if we refactored the home page so it was all self-contained
> >> into these directories:   /scripts,  /styles,  /images and /en/?
> >>
> >> 2) Make the /en directory be pure content.  Only the stuff that needs
> >> to be translated.  It loads everything else, scripts, images, etc.,
> >> via URLs relative to the root, e.g.., in /scripts, /styles, etc.
> >>
> >> 3) Reduce or eliminate any embedded Javascript within pages.  For
> >> example, refactor the code in download/index.html so it is external
> >> and depends on JSON resource files for translated strings.  Aim so
> >> translators never need to touch script.
> >>
> >> 4) Ultimate goal is for someone to be able to jump start a new NL home
> >> page by simply requesting an svn copy of the /en directory, and then
> >> editing the resulting files.  No one should ever need to do what I'm
> >> doing with the "xx" pages.
> >>
> >> 5) Maintenance is far easier.  Most things like changing the scripts,
> >> is done in one place only.  But even changes to the HTML are easier.
> >> Since we then have a common branch point via the svn copy, when
> >> structural changes are added to the main /en HTML, these can be merged
> >> in more elegantly to the translated versions, using Subversion.
> >>
> >> 6) Via Apache redirects we can ensure that the default call to
> >> www.openoffice.org/ goes to /en/.  Conceivably we could also do locale
> >> detection and send requests automatically to the appropriate NL home
> >> page.
> >>
> >> A variation on the above would be to use Pootle, rather than svn
> >> copy/merge to maintain the translations.  But that would require the
> >> same refactoring work to enable it.  And it would require further
> >> investigation to identify a way of extracting and merging translation
> >> strings in MDText files as well as (X)HTML files.
> >>
> >> This is obviously more than a one-person task.  So I'd be interested
> >> in hearing what you think in general about this approach, whether
> >> there is a simpler alternative I've missed, and whether this is
> >> something you'd be interested in helping with.
> >>

> > I like a lot of your ideas, let me add my own experience.
> >

> Thanks.
>
> > If the our pages do not contain text, but that is totally outsourced in
> one
> > or more json objects, then translation becomes easy, and the pages
> themself
> > stay simple. when the url is called without arguments the "en-json" is
> > used, and if called with lang="xx" "xx-json" is used.
> >

> I like the idea of content/code separation.  We certainly do this is
> the code, for example.  But two challenges to taking this approach all
> the way with the  website.
>
> 1) If we do JSON everywhere then we have a Javscript dependency
> everywhere.  This has an impact for visibility of the pages to search
> engines, but there are workarounds.  But it may be a bigger issue for
> users who block Javascript.
>
> No we would do that solely on the server side, it would not be a good idea
to have JS retrieve the json objects.

We could eg. use php, that retrieved to correct json object, and
transmitted a finished page.

> 2) There may be cases where a translation requires direct access to
> the HTML or CSS.  For example, I think the Tamil translation needed
> access to specify a specific font.  And for some languages they might
> need to set text direction to RTL.   These kinds of things make almost
> any approach more complicated.

Look at e.g. our mwiki that handles those details all on server side.

And just as a suggestion, if we were to use wordpress, things like fonts
would be solved. WP also have a possibility (not json) for multi language,
which I could easy adopt in genLang (for translation).

> So the question we need to answer is how far we take this?   I think
> we have some examples where the code is so intertwined with the text
> that translation becomes very hard and risky.  For example, the
> generation of the "boxes" on the download page.   But then we have
> some other pages, especially the MDText pages, where I would be
> comfortable handing it directly to a translator and expect they could
> edit it without breaking anything.

We can always find examples where it becomes hard, but typically you can
reformulate the problem so it fits in a standard (boxes are no real
problem). The only problem I see is with JS, where are ask and get answers
e.g. YN.

> The Javascript dependency might be broken if we make this be a CMS
> build-time text replacement rather than a runtime/Javascript
> replacement.  So the CMS would detect when the Pootle files change and
> automatically generate new HTML pages from them.  But even then we
> still would need some runtime integration of strings, specifically on
> the download page where language and OS are determined at runtime
> based on browser request headers.

I would consider not to use cms, because we basically dont need it.

rgds
jan I.