From: "Sunil Sharma/Dissident Voice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ed Pearl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: Disaster in Context

Thanks Ed, I also posted a few articles about the disaster on Dissident Voice.

My mother, who lives down in San Luis Obispo, and some of her sisters (all from
Sumatra) happened to be vacationing in Phuket, Thailand when the quake and
tsunamis hit. They're all okay. My mother was ill that day and stayed back at
her hotel rather than go to the beach as originally planned. Her sisters went
off instead. At the last minute, they decided to go to the beach later, when my
mother was feeling better and opted to go to James Bond Island (higher and
safer ground) instead, unbeknownst to my mother. The first two tsunamis took my
mother, as everyone else, by surprise. She grabbed as many children who were
separated from their parents or who had wandered in from the streets as she
could and went to the top of the four story hotel she was staying at. The
people who gathered there then learned a third tsunami was an hour away and
debated whether to stay put and hope the hotel could ride out the waves or make
for higher ground two miles away. She opted to leave and managed to get out
safely on the last bus. She made the right call -- the 3rd tsunami took out the
hotel. She doesn't know what happened to the people who remained. All the
while, she assumed her sisters had gone to the beach and were probably dead,
the sisters thinking the same of her as they watch from higher ground the
destruction that ensued in Phuket. They fortunately were reunited later that
afternoon. She is now in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, terrified of another quake and
shell-shocked. I was able to get her flight back to the US bumped up to January
1 rather than the original January 3rd arrival time. Her sisters will return to
Sumatra soon as well. They were all extremely lucky. The rest of my family in
Medan, the capitol of Sumatra, are okay. However one of the sisters who was
vacationing with my mother is from Aceh further up north, scene of the worst
devastation and killing thus far, and she has yet to hear any word of her
family there. Judging from the gruesome news coming out of Aceh, it doesn't
look good.

Best,

-- Sunil

***

Five million people in 11 countries lack the basic
requirements for life

By Cahal Milmo and Stephen Khan in Colombo

The Independent (UK)

The death toll from the south Asian tsunami is likely
to surpass 100,000, aid agencies warned yesterday as
the first consignments from the biggest relief
operation in history began to arrive to help survivors
in the devastated region.

The United Nations said at least £1bn in emergency aid
was needed after it calculated that the Boxing Day
disaster left up to five million people across 11
countries without access to the basic requirements for
life - water, food and sanitation.

Other aid agencies said that four days after the
earthquake deep under the Indian Ocean, it was clear
that the international community must now cope with
death on a vast scale.

Simon Missiri, head of the International Federation of
the Red Cross (ICRC) in the Asia Pacific region, said:
"We're facing a disaster of unprecedented proportion in
nature. We're talking about a staggering death toll."
Scenes in the remote areas such as the west coast of
Indonesia's Aceh province, closest to the quake's
epicentre, were apocalyptic. Authorities there said it
was now apparent that the entire population of some
towns had been lost.

A UN official warned that up to 80,000 people in the
province could have been killed amid reports of convoys
of trucks dumping 1,000 bloated bodies at a time into
open graves. Major General Endang Suwarya said: "The
damage is truly devastating; 75 per cent of the west
coast is destroyed and in some places it's 100 per
cent."

Officials at the United Nations in New York said an
appeal would be launched this weekend after relief
assessments had been completed across the disaster
zone.

In London, the British Government pledged £15m in
immediate aid while the US President, George Bush,
announced an international coalition with India, Japan
and Australia to co-ordinate relief.

Tony Blair said in a New Year statement from Egypt,
where he is on holiday, that Britain would do anything
it could to help the affected countries. "This New Year
the world is united in sorrow for those affected by one
of the biggest natural disasters in our lifetime," he
said. "Our thoughts are with those who have died, those
who have lost loved ones and friends and those whose
lives have been destroyed by this terrible
catastrophe."

Stung by criticism from one UN official that the
financial contribution of major nations was "stingy",
Washington said it was more than doubling its initial
donation to $35m (£19.4m).

Mr Bush said the eventual US response would far
outstrip that sum: "We will prevail over this
destruction," he said.

The World Health Organisation said the number of
unburied bodies in the affected countries, from the
five-star resorts of Thailand to impoverished villages
of Somalia, along with the destruction of basic
infrastructure, had left millions vulnerable to
disease, which was likely to break out within three
days.

David Nabarro, the head of the WHO's health crisis
team, said: "Perhaps as many as five million people are
not able to access what they need for living. Either
they cannot get water, or their sanitation is
inadequate or they cannot get food."

UN officials warned the eventual total required in
relief funding was likely to outstrip the $1.64bn
(£911m) raised for Iraq last year.

But as pledges flooded in, there were signs of a large
gap between the requirement and reality. The total
pledged by governments around the world last night
stood at £126m.

Across the world, the public were also being implored
to dip into their pockets.

Today The Independent launches an appeal urging readers
to contribute to the vast amount of aid urgently
required. The appeal is backed by the Foreign
Secretary, Jack Straw, who said: "Whatever the
Government can do, there is always an important role
for personal donations and commitment."

The Independent appeal is being launched in association
with the Disasters Emergency Committee, a coalition of
12 British-based charities, which said last night that
£5m had been raised over 24 hours even before the
official launch. The charities under its umbrella are
ActionAid, the British Red Cross, Cafod, Care
International, Christian Aid, Concern, Help the Aged,
Merlin, Oxfam, Save the Children, Tearfund and World
Vision.

Yet the relief effort seems to have been slow in
coming. Across Asia, local volunteers were doing their
best to provide help for the estimated five million
left homeless while they waited for the much-needed
international assistance.

As the aid operation began to swing into top gear with
four plane loads of aid arriving in Sri Lanka from
Britain, Germany and Japan, the need for the relief in
this truly global disaster became ever more clear.

The official death count across Asia and Africa stood
at 76,682 but aid officials made it clear that number
would rise significantly as remote areas were reached,
including India's Andaman and Nicobar islands, where
one official said 10,000 were dead on one island alone.

Peter Rees, the ICRC's operations support officer,
said: "The figure's going to be absolutely enormous. I
would not be surprised that we are over 100,000 dead."

As the grim tally mounted, the Foreign Office said 26
Britons had been confirmed dead. That number was likely
to increase beyond 50 after the Thai authorities said
they were aware of at least 43 British nationals among
473 foreign tourists killed in its resorts.

Sweden, whose citizens have long viewed Thailand as a
winter refuge, said 2,000 of its nationals remained
missing. Germany said 1,000 tourists were unaccounted
for.

But it was those living around the Indian Ocean who
were dealing with the worst of the disaster.

According to ICRC estimates, there are 500,000 injured
people across the region, 200,000 with serious
injuries. In Sri Lanka alone there are a million people
without shelter.

One aid worker for Cafod described the scene in Banda
Aceh, the capital of Aceh province, as: "Corpses,
corpses and more corpses. Walking on foot in the
streets, it is all corpses. There is a rotten smell
everywhere. Because people drowned, their stomachs are
full and today they started to tear open.

"Right now there are many traumatised people. People
scream 'water, water' while running. But there is no
water. We can see people eating quietly next to dead
bodies that are rotten and smelly. Many people cry
hysterically."

The Indonesian government said one of its main
shortages was providing sufficient body bags to contain
the dead as the first aid supplies - 175 tons of rice
and 100 doctors - reached Aceh province.

In Thailand, the government admitted it had been ill-
prepared for the disaster and that it had been too slow
to provide search equipment and refrigerated containers
to store decomposing bodies to combat the spread of
disease.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=596807

***

The New York Times - December 30, 2004
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/30/opinion/30thu2.html

EDITORIAL

Are We Stingy? Yes

President Bush finally roused himself yesterday from his vacation in
Crawford, Tex., to telephone his sympathy to the leaders of India, Sri
Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia, and to speak publicly about the devastation
of Sunday's tsunamis in Asia. He also hurried to put as much distance as
possible between himself and America's initial measly aid offer of $15
million, and he took issue with an earlier statement by the United Nations'
emergency relief coordinator, Jan Egeland, who had called the overall aid
efforts by rich Western nations "stingy." "The person who made that
statement was very misguided and ill informed," the president said.

We beg to differ. Mr. Egeland was right on target. We hope Secretary of
State Colin Powell was privately embarrassed when, two days into a
catastrophic disaster that hit 12 of the world's poorer countries and will
cost billions of dollars to meliorate, he held a press conference to say
that America, the world's richest nation, would contribute $15 million.
That's less than half of what Republicans plan to spend on the Bush
inaugural festivities.

The American aid figure for the current disaster is now $35 million, and we
applaud Mr. Bush's turnaround. But $35 million remains a miserly drop in
the bucket, and is in keeping with the pitiful amount of the United States
budget that we allocate for nonmilitary foreign aid. According to a poll,
most Americans believe the United States spends 24 percent of its budget
on aid to poor countries; it actually spends well under a quarter of 1 percent.

Bush administration officials help create that perception gap. Fuming at the
charge of stinginess, Mr. Powell pointed to disaster relief and said the
United States "has given more aid in the last four years than any other
nation or combination of nations in the world." But for development aid,
America gave $16.2 billion in 2003; the European Union gave $37.1 billion.
In 2002, those numbers were $13.2 billion for America, and $29.9 billion for
Europe.

Making things worse, we often pledge more money than we actually deliver.
Victims of the earthquake in Bam, Iran, a year ago are still living in tents
because aid, including ours, has not materialized in the amounts pledged.
And back in 2002, Mr. Bush announced his Millennium Challenge account
to give African countries development assistance of up to $5 billion a year,
but the account has yet to disperse a single dollar.

Mr. Bush said yesterday that the $35 million we've now pledged "is only
the beginning" of the United States' recovery effort. Let's hope that is true,
and that this time, our actions will match our promises.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

***

>From S. Culver, in Santa Barbara:

today Rep. John Conyers announced that he will challenge the electoral
college vote in Congress on Jan. 6th! [see link at bottom of this message]
He needs a senator to stand with him.

the reason I am emailing is to invite you to a press conference being held
outside of Senator Boxer's office at 1700 Montgomery Street
in San Francisco this Monday January 3rd at noon.

A delegation representing signatories and concerned voters will hand deliver
the thousands of petitions we have gathered directly to Boxer's staff during
an arranged meeting noon Monday while participants outside listen to
evidence of  voter irregularities from respected leaders and activists in our
community.

Guest speakers include:

Dolores Huerta, the co-founder of United Farm Workers Union and civil rights
leader

Walter Riley, a labor and civil rights attorney from East Bay Votes

Margot Smith of the Grey Panthers

TIM PAULSON, Executive Director, San Francisco Labor Council, AFL-CIO;

Michael Eisenscher of the US Labor Against the War

Max Anderson from the Berkeley City Council

And Don Goldmacher from the Wellstone Voting Rights Task Force

Hawaii, Vermont and Oregon have taken statewide actions. Your presence
is a valuable message to Senator Boxer.  She is expecting us and we hope
to make a lasting impression, one that may result in her standing up on
January 6th to officially challenge this presidential election.  We have 12
members of the House who have commited to do so.  We need ONE senator!

Please join us at noon this Monday January 3rd at 1700 Montgomery Street
in San Francisco.  the cross-street is Chestnut, one block from
The Embarcadero street.

there is a flyer for the rally posted at http://www.usvip.org

If you care to research this issue, we suggest the following websites:

http://www.Nov2truth.org
http://www.Shadowbox.i8.com
 http://www.electiledysfunction.org/

 We hope you can make it.  If you are unable to participate in person,
perhaps you can call her office that morning at 1-415-403-0100.  Every
voice is a vote.  Let her office know that you are a California voter who
cares deeply about the legitimacy of our voting system.  Request that
Senator Boxer stand up for us on January 6th!

Peace and spread the word!

PS. If you want to meet with others and walk up to Barbara Boxer's office
from the Embarcadero BART station, people will gather there at 11 AM to
walk together and hand out flyers along the way. Alternatively, there is a
bus that goes up The Embarcadero and stops close to Chestnut.

PPS: Sunday 12/2, 2 pm in Berkeley: there will be a panel on the election
problems at Cedar & Bonita, Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists. Your
opportunity to ask questions

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>