please come!!!  please forward far and wide!!!!!!!!

F O R    I M M E D I A T E   R E L E A S E

COLLECTIVO TONANTZINÂ’S RESPONSE TO ARREST OF
COYOTL TEZCALIPOCA AT COSTA MESA CITY COUNCIL

On Tuesday, January 3, approximately 100 people,
including members of the
Tonantzin Collective, converged upon the Costa Mesa
City CouncilÂ’s decision
to train city police to enforce immigration law. The
measure was approved
by the Council on December 7, 2005. Costa Mesa will be
the first city in the
United States to merge police and immigration duties.

The proposal raises concern among Mexicans and Central
Americans
throughout Orange County. Brown-skinned people will be
subject to racial
profiling, based on appearance and surname. The
measure will also erode
relations between immigrants and police, as immigrants
will fear reporting
crimes. Furthermore, vigilantism may increase, as
residents may attack
and harass people they believe to be undocumented.

During the last council meeting, Coyotl Tezcalipoca, a
member of the
Tonantzin Collective, was arrested during public
comments. After innocently
requesting the audience to stand up in support of
immigrant rights,
Mayor Allan Mansoor cut him off before his time was
up. Before he had a
chance to leave the podium, several police officers
surrounded him and
forcefully took him into custody, violating his right
to free speech and
assembly. Video footage taken by a Spanish language
television station shows
a police officer kicking him while on the ground. On
the other hand, supporters
of the MayorÂ’s proposal were not subjected to the same
kind of treatment
when they did the same thing.

A press conference will be held today at Costa Mesa
City Hall:

WHEN: Thursday, January 05, 2006

TIME/WHERE: Press conference begins at 6 PM at the
Costa Mesa City Hall
77 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa

Speakers will address the following issues: 1) the
re-opening of the day labor
Site, 2) the withdrawal of the vote that will give
power to certain police officers
to enforce immigration laws, 3) the recall of city
council members who
voted for the closure of the day labor site and the
proposal that will give power
to police officers to enforce immigration laws, and 4)
that all criminal charges be
dropped against Coyotl Tezcalipoca.

Press contacts:

Coyotl Tezcalipoca (714) 235-0801
Humberto Caspa (949) 929-7353
Rosalinda Ramirez (714) 458-8233

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Clean water saves lives.  Help make water safe for our children.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/CHhStB/VREMAA/E2hLAA/7gSolB/TM
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>