Speaking of music (the first essay,) here are a couple of songs
and videos, delightful and serious infusing the airwaves, internet,
ears and minds of folks, old and (more importantly) young.  -Ed

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/decider.html

http://decider.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

http://bradblog.com/video/flvplayer/FlvPlayer.html?file=http://www.ameratsu.com/media/vid/misc/Neil_Young_Lets_Impeach_President_060428a_180x180.flv&width=180&height=180&OrigWidth=180&OrigHeight=180

Commentaries are sent to Sustainer Donors of Z/ZNet
To learn more, consult ZNet at http://www.zmag.org

Today's commentary:
http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2006-05/06peters.cfm

==================================

ZNet Commentary
Gonna Use My Imagination May 12, 2006
By Cynthia Peters

Today's Boston Globe (April 22, 2006), reports that Massachusetts is giving
$1 million to a faith-based organization to teach abstinence in the schools.
The same school kids, meanwhile, are subjected to multi-million dollar ad
campaigns that positively scream at them about sex, presenting mostly
passive sex objects whose cleavages, crotches, and botox-injected lips
reduce sex and sexuality to the sum total of certain consumable body parts.

Alternatively, if these same kids read deep into the same newspaper, they'd
see a "Dear Ann" column consoling a teenager that s/he shouldn't feel
ashamed of masturbating. The piece reads like an excerpt from a medical text
book, referring to blood rushing and muscles spasming, etc., delivering
potentially useful information, but not much of an affirmation of sexuality
or what a person might be feeling in the course of the blood rushing.

Then there's the radio. Flip it on, and you might hear the low rumble of
Bruce Springsteen's voice. "I got a bad desire. I'm on fire," he sings, in a
way that is tuneful, but also pretty close to a purely sexual moan. What's
the "fire" like for him? He explains it, "Sometimes it's like someone took a
knife, baby, edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley through the middle of
my soul. At night I wake up with my sheets soaking wet and a freight train
running through the middle of my head." And he implores his lover, "Cool my
desire."

Or check out Chrissie Hynde from the Pretenders, who shares the many ways
she plans to make her lover happy. "Gonna use my arms, gonna use my legs,
gonna use my style, gonna use my sidestep, gonna use my fingers, gonna use
my-my-my imagination." She's not just there to please him (or her), however.
She is as demanding as Bruce is, though a good bit more playful. "I've got
to have some of your attention. Give it to me!"

The radio waves are full of sexually explicit lyrics. Some are hateful,
homophobic, and/or derogatory toward women But you can find many of them are
positive, playful, and passionate. Marvin Gaye calls for "sexual healing."
Marianne Faithful reminds us, "It's not the meat, it's the motion." John
Prine laughs about "getting rug burns on his knees."

With all the negative, sexist, racist, exploitative images of sexuality in
the popular media, it's pleasantly surprising sometimes to notice that some
music (even popular rock and roll music) can be a place where sexuality is
expressed in a more or less healthy way. (I'm not too familiar with rap,
country, and other music styles, but I’m sure it has a similar mix of
positive and not-so-positive sex lyrics.) It's pleasantly surprising to
notice halfway decent message getting airtime in the otherwise barren
cultural context of a) the deafening noise of corporate-sponsored, sexist
objectification of sex and sexuality harnessed for buying power competing
with b) the deafening silence of abstinence-only and/or one-dimensional
body-part oriented approaches that explain sex and sexuality as the
functioning of genitalia.

Some radio stations bill themselves as avoiding the racier lyrics so as "not
to embarrass you in front of your kids." But what's really embarrassing is
how much we've let corporations and the right-wing dominate any public
conversation about sex.

We give kids (and ourselves) a few dots of information -- the medical text
book excerpt, the moralistic abstinence lesson, the onslaught of objectified
women in advertising -- and expect them to connect them and fill in the
enormous remaining white space in the picture. This is how they're supposed
to grow into a healthy sexuality?

What if progressives were to renew our efforts (admirably initiated by the
women's movement and the gay liberation movement) to put healthy sex and
sexuality at the forefront of our movements? What would say about it? What
is a healthy sexuality? Taking a hint from regular old commercial radio --
which, while dominated by corporate interests, seems to have elements of it
that escape that particular stranglehold -- we could start by trying to
simply and unabashedly celebrate passionate, non-oppressive, joy-inducing,
"healing" sexuality that embraces the whole body plus the imagination.

Sexuality makes up a major part of what people think about and act on in
their daily lives. Despite having to function in a corporate-dominated,
profit-driven, sexist, racist, anti-participatory environment, positive
aspects of sexuality still manage to surface.

Sex and sexuality are fundamental to who we are. Although they are spheres
of life where people have experienced enormous pain and victimization, they
also have found many powerful and beautiful expressions. Unlike economic and
political structures, which are harder to imagine, we could actually fairly
easily access some decent ideas about sexuality just by looking around,
seeing what we like, noticing our own desires, noticing what others like,
and caring enough to imagine what it would take to cause these things to
thrive in a way that felt fun, freeing, rewarding, and non-oppressive.

What is healthy sexuality?

1. Healthy sexuality is a powerful and necessary form of expression in which
we act independently and inter-dependently, and which is fundamental for
every human being.

Sex is both a need and a want. It doesn't enrich anyone; it doesn't
impoverish anyone; it doesn't create ownership or disenfranchisement.
Instead, it's a place you go to just be or to experiment with your being or
to experiment with what it means to be close to another being. Often, it's a
process more than an event, but maybe sometimes it is just an event. In any
case, sex is where you claim your needs/wants either alone or in conjunction
with others. In the process, you express some part of your deepest self --
partly because you have to and partly because you *want* to, and claiming
that want is empowering and life-affirming.

2. Healthy sexuality includes a wide spectrum of behaviors and feelings --
from genital-oriented sex acts to other activities that are erotic, sensual,
or sexual, such as dancing, singing, touching, and playing.

If sex and sexuality are where we pursue pleasure, a sense of self, and a
sense of belonging and connection to others, then we must put a lot of care
into the forums where it is carried out and where it is learned. It is a
precious part of ourselves and an integral part of being human, so it
deserves utmost care and attention.
Parents and families must get great quantities of support so that they can
pass on great quantities of the same to their children who will need it so
that they can be loved unconditionally, their bodies treasured and kept
safe, their minds allowed to roam but also seek guidance, their desires
affirmed, reflected on, and never shamed. Schools and community centers must
offer engaging, empowering education around sex and sexuality. Adults must
have access to a wide range of cultural venues and supports for diverse
sexuality and wide-ranging emotions and issues connected to sexuality, such
as gender identity, etc.

3. Healthy sexuality is powerful, but it does not victimize. It is always
safe, even if it sometimes causes pain.

When I was in college, my politically correct lesbian friends used to joke
about how they tried to have politically correct sex. They took turns, each
getting five minutes "on top." But sex isn't like a political meeting, where
everyone should have an equal opportunity to talk or a balanced job complex
where everyone does similar amounts of empowering and disempowering work. It
seems to me, sex is a place you go to work out deep, pleasurable, and even
painful feelings about vulnerability, power, being in control and not.

Maybe you're a lifelong "bottom" who's found a devoted "top" as a soul mate,
and you discarded the stop-watches a long time ago. Maybe hovering along the
line between pleasure and pain is exactly what turns you on the most, and
you and your partner have communicated well about this and so sometimes you
feel pain (exquisitely), but you are not a victim.

4. Healthy sexuality is learned in families and in societies and cultures
that embrace diverse feelings and expressions, but also constantly reinforce
the need to balance rights and responsibilities.

We could do a lot to nurture healthy sexuality by having a more caring, less
cutthroat political, economic, and cultural climate. What if our society
threaded solidarity and support through its institutions? I imagine that
practicing and experiencing those qualities in public would translate into
private renditions of the same. You wouldn't need to go to your sex life to
find ways to act out (or work through) the harshest elements of what you
experience publicly -- shame, oppression of various sorts, etc.

5. Healthy sexuality takes a certain amount of work (for lack of a better
word). Or let's call it intentionality.

I think we live with a certain myth that sex and sexuality spring unbidden
from deep biological urges (mostly) in men or are tied to romantic swoons
(mostly) in women. Sure, sex has something to do with biology and sexual
pleasure can be tied to love, but it's okay to be a little more
*intentional* about it as well! (Maybe that's why these myths persist -- to
*save* us from being intentional about our sexuality.) Chrissie Hynde sings
about her intentions, leaving us all wondering exactly what she plans to do
with her imagination.

For progressives to start trying to define, celebrate, and go after healthy
sexuality, the imagination is not a bad place to start.

***

Come join the No New Jails Coalition in a Mother's Day Action at
Century Jail in Lynwood!

WHEN: Sunday, May 14, 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
WHERE: Century Regional Detention Facility
(map & directions
http://www.lasd.org/divisions/correctional/crdf/crdf_location-map.html

WHAT: We will be taking a HUGE Mother's Day card to the jail. We will
ask people waiting in line to visit loved ones in the jail to sign the
card and attach a polaroid picture of themselves, if they want. We will
then deliver the signed card to the Governor, demanding that 4,500 women
be released from state prison.

WHY: We will hand out fliers asking what do women REALLY want for
Mother's Day? and explaining the background: a bill in
Sacramento has proposed moving 4,500 women from state prison into
smaller privately-run facilities, many of which will be located in Los
Angeles County. The bill would move "nonserious, nonviolent female
offenders," acknowledging that they do not need to be in prison. We are
demanding that these 4,500 women be released, rather than building 4,500
new private beds. This would reduce the women's prison population by 40%.

Come join us!

Organizations: if you can send a minimum of three people for a two-hour
shift, you can be listed as a co-sponsor. There are three 2 hour time-slots:
9-11am; 11-1pm; 1-3pm.  Please email [EMAIL PROTECTED] to coordinate.
Individuals are welcome at any time.

For more information: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 323-238-0596.

*****************************

What do mothers really want this Mother's Day?  Though a little
different for everyone, the answer is simple and obvious:
Mothers want to be free to be with their loved ones.

Background:  The Bills

Gov. Schwarzenegger has proposed releasing 40 % of the women in
California prisons.  Two bills now before the legislature (AB 2066 &
AB 2917; bills & analysis at
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/acsframeset2text.htm)
propose moving 4,500 women (40% of the women incarcerated in
the CA state system) out of prison.

The bills target "nonserious, nonviolent female offenders,"
acknowledging that they do not need to be in prison.  But these
measures would put the women in new community facilities, called
"Community Corrections Facilities."  These would simply be smaller
prisons.  Basically these bills would build up to 4,500 new cells for
women prisoners. The governor's plan will create more cells.

Experience shows that when the state builds more cells, it fills them.  ·
This plan will let the state lock up more women and men, not fewer.·
The governor's plan shows that he understands that 40 percent of the
women in California prisons don't need to be there.

Facts:  Women in Prison

There are 11,615 women locked in California prisons (as of April 2006).·
This is an increase of 7.8 percent in the last year alone.  Forty
percent of this figure is almost exactly the number of new lockdown beds
proposed in one of the pending assembly bills (AB 2066).  Coincidence?

Solution:  Let them go home!

These 4,500 women should be released, rather than building 4,500 new
private beds.  This would reduce the women's prison population by 40%.·
Instead of wasting money expanding our dysfunctional prison system by
building and staffing more prison cells, we should put those funds into
more programming and more services for paroled women.  Putting women
into locked "treatment centers" is not releasing them. It is not sending
them home. It is not helping them to reenter society.·

Building more prisons is a waste. Public or private, larger or smaller,
closer to home or further away, prison wastes the lives of prisoners.  It
wastes the lives of their families. It wastes taxpayer money that could be
used to get them back on their feet. It wastes an opportunity to make real
changes in our broken prison system before it wastes the lives of another
generation. Bringing 40 percent of women prisoners home is a good first
step to reverse the course of our prison system that for the last 25 years
has grown like a cancer and destroyed so many lives.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY?  IT DEPENDS ON US!
Brought to you by No New Jails, a coalition of social  justice
organizations.

Co-sponsors of this event:  Critical Resistance, the Labor Community
Strategy Action Center, Global Women's Strike/LA, Adelante!, the CSULA
Peace & Justice Coalition, CA PMP, LACAN, the Youth Justice Coalition,
United Coalition East Prevention Project, & others.  For more information
please email [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call 323-238-0596.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>