<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPdsbPZJyIA&eurl=>I hope this isn't the
last word on the South Central Farm.  Here is another, online short
documentary about the wonderful place that is The Farm.  It is a crime
that in a city with such wealth, a small city farm cannot be saved.  One
would think that ONE of the rich Hollywood personalities might hand over
a small tithe of 5 million dollars, a small tithe, where one can make in
one film, more money than most of us would see in a life time.  I wonder
about this level of greed.  Couldn't some of Hollywood's wealthiest
actors, especially those who claim to be social activists (Tim Robbins,
Susan Sarandon, Julia Roberts, Martin Sheen, Vigo Mortensen) live on the
income of ONE FILM, for the rest of their lives and then use the rest of
their income to bring about the social agenda they claim to endorse?

Many of us struggle to get by in order to dedicate our lives to social
justice.  It is beyond my understanding how those with the resources to
really make a difference give little more than lip service to the task.

Emma Rosenthal
Cafe Intifada
Click the link below to view the film: The Place to Be:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPdsbPZJyIA&eurl=
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPdsbPZJyIA&eurl=>
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

REVISION       REVISION       REVSION
MEDIA ADVISORY   MEDIA ADVISORY   MEDIA ADVISORY   MEDIA ADVISORY

Contact:           Fernando Flores

                                                      (909) 605-3136

                                                    5/16/2006

L.A. City Mayor Villaraigosa Fails to Raise Matching Funds to Save 350
Poor Families in South Central Los Angeles From Brentwood Developer

For the last three years, 350 families have been fighting to preserve
the largest contiguous piece of open green space in South Central Los
Angeles. On April 22nd 2006, Trust for Public had negotiated a 30 day
buy option that depended on the city matching 5 Million put up by a
private foundation. It appears that the City of LA and the Mayor's
office will not match the money and the land will fall to Brentwood
Developer.

WHEN:           Friday, May 19th, 2006 @ 9:00 a.m.

WHO:                         South Central Farmers

WHAT:           Protest and Press Conference
In the week of May 15 2006 the community was informed that, "Mayor
Villaraigosa and his office would not be able to raise the matching 5
Million that he had promised to the community," stated Tezozomoc,
elected representative of the South Central Farmers. "The community is
in shock. Everyone thought that it was a done deal and now families face
a bleak future with the possible destruction of the community farm,"
stated Albert Tlatoa, farmer. According to the Los Angeles Superior
Court Brentwood real estate developer has already acquired the legal
right to deploy the Los Angeles Sheriffs department to remove 350
families from the largest urban farm in the U.S. This could happen as
soon as May 24th, 2006.     There will be only 3 days to Save the Farm!

WHERE:        Location Changed!
We will now be demonstrating at the intersection of S. Figueroa St.  and
W. Pico Blvd. in Los Angeles

WHY:             This is a unique opportunity to eliminate park poverty
in this highly urbanized, blighted and semi-industrial neighborhood.
This site is a singular opportunity to make permanent and public the
community and cultural benefits of the green oasis created by 360
families over the years as they continue to grow healthy fruits,
vegetables and medicinal plants to supplement their food budgets. This
urban garden, once purchased, will remain open space for generations to
come.

South Central Los Angeles, CA (SCFs) May 18, 2006 -- For three years 350
families have been fighting against the City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles
Port, and Brentwood real estate developer Ralph Horowitz to preserve 14
acres of contiguous open green space in the form of the largest urban
farm in the U.S. On March 6, 2006 the community of the South Central
Farm, located at 41st and Alameda, was served an eviction notice from
the Los Angeles Superior Court giving the Farmers 5 days to prevent the
eviction by the Los Angeles Sheriff's department.

The community rallied and organized themselves through the South Central
Farmers and went to court to prevent the eviction. In what was deemed
close to being a miracle when the Trust for Public Land, along with
Mayor Villaraigosa's office negotiated a 30 day buy option from
developer Ralph Horowitz.

This situation arose when the city erroneously settled a lawsuit in a
backroom deal without giving the community due process. "As citizens and
tax payers of the City of Los Angeles, we are outraged that the city of
LA settled a speculative lawsuit(BC272571 LIBAW HOROWITZ INVESTMENT
COMPANY VS CITY LOS ANGELES ET AL) with Mr. Horowitz." Even after Judge
W. Crispo had ruled three times against Horowitz, the city officials
conceded to give the land back to Horowitz for a mere 5.1 million
dollars, extremely under the fair market value, since in 1994 it had
been sold for 13.3 Million dollars.

"We are outraged that the community is now being asked to bear the
profit of 11 million dollars for the real estate developer. Further, we
address the primary decision maker regarding the land, Mayor Antonio
Villaraigosa, urging him to do more than suggest that the working class
community connected to the farm raise $16 million or more through
individual contributions."

"It is not necessary to destroy the community farm. Help us prevent the
destruction of this 14-year project that has become an asset to South
Central Los Angeles. We call upon you to reconsider the destruction of
the 14-acre community farm in South Central Los Angeles," says Fernando
Flores, Organizer of the South Central Farmers' Support Committee.

In the week of May 15 2006 the community was informed that, "Mayor
Villaraigosa and his office would not be able to raise the matching 5
Million that he had promised to the community," stated Tezozomoc,
elected representative of the South Central Farmers.

"The community is in shock. Everyone thought that it was a done deal and
now families face a bleak future with the possible destruction of the
community farm," stated Albert Tlatoa, farmer. According to the Los
Angeles Superior Court Brentwood real estate developer has already
acquired the legal right to deploy the Los Angeles Sheriffs department
to remove 350 families from the largest urban farm in the U.S. This
could happen as soon as May 24th, 2006.

The South Central Farmers will be holding nightly vigils at the Getty
House, the official residence of the Los Angeles Mayor. On May 19th,
2006 at 9 am the farmers and community supporters will be holding a
protest outside Los Angeles City Hall and a press conference at 10:00
am. They will make one last overture to the Mayor of Los Angeles and the
City Council who may be able to save the farm by stepping up to the
plate and displaying real leadership.

Discussions with elected representatives and grassroots supporters
centered on the disbelief that Mayor Villaraigosa was not able to raise
the matching funds and that he would so easily give up on the people
that he touts to represent. "If Villaraigosa can not wrestle 14 acres in
South Central, how does he hope to tackle a leviathan like LAUSD?" asked
Tezozomoc, elected representative of the South Central Farmers.

The community expressed a great desire to continue pressing the issue to
the press, city officials and people across the city.

For info on this media event please contact Fernando Flores (909) 605-3136.
www.southcentralfarmers.com <http://www.southcentralfarmers.com/>

--

"I must fight with all my strength so that the little positive things that my
health allows me to do might be pointed toward helping the revolution. The only

emma rosenthal is a disabled artist, writer, educator, activist and consultant,
living in southern california.

emma rosenthal
po box 1664
baldwin park, ca 91706
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

emma's web page:
http://home.earthlink.net/~emmarosenthal
emma's blogs:
  In Bed With Frida Kahlo
http://inbedwithfridakahlo.blogsource.com/
  Emma Rosenthal
http://emmarosenthal.blogsource.com/

The writing empowerment project
  http://home.earthlink.net/~theweproject
-educational and organizational consulting and dialogue.
cafe intifada
-art for social justice
  http://home.earthlink.net/~cafeintifada
  http://cafeintifada.blogsource.com/