Hi.   I just quickly scanned today's LA Times and see two stories on
the front page of the California section that relate.  One, a just-passed
Assembly bill changing electoral votes to the national popular vote, and
the other, also front page: "Mayor, Foes Scrap Again Over Schools,"
relating to yesterday afternoon's mailing on Elena Popp's campaign.  I
strongly recommed close reading of both.  Here's today's emailing:
Ed

Thanks to your thousands of calls and letters, we took a major step forward
this week in the fight for Internet freedom.

A bipartisan majority on the House Judiciary Committee yesterday passed the
"Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act" -- a good bill that would use
antitrust law to protect Network Neutrality. Special thanks to those of you
who called the key members who cast the deciding votes.

The question before us is simple: Will the Internet remain in the hands of
users and innovators? Or will a handful of telephone and cable companies
determine which Web sites you see and which you don't? Yesterday's vote -- a
milestone for our movement -- would have been unthinkable just three weeks
ago.

But we've shown once again that organized people can defeat powerful
corporations.

Our opponents spent untold millions on high-priced lobbyists, slick ad
campaigns and fake grassroots groups. But the voices of hundreds of
thousands of citizens -- your voices -- made the difference.
The SavetheInternet.com Coalition led by Free Press now boasts nearly 700
groups that span the political spectrum, including MoveOn.org, the Christian
Coalition, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Gun Owners of
America, Consumers Union, and the American Library Association. Thousands of
blogs have taken up our cause. Yesterday, the coalition's petition drive
surpassed 750,000 signatures.

Our top priority is increasing the number of people who know about this
threat to Internet freedom.
One thing you can do right now: Get five friends to join the fight

http://action.freepress.net/ct/_dNIY9n1Zup2/

The struggle in Congress isn't over. The full House will take up the
bipartisan Judiciary bill (H.R. 5417) -- as well as the massive rewrite of
the Telecom Act -- after they return in June. The Senate is also considering
major legislation that currently fails to protect Net Neutrality, though a
bipartisan group of Senators are lining up behind the excellent Snowe-Dorgan
bill (S. 2917).

Our work is not done. But momentum is on our side.
We couldn't have done it without you.

Onward,
Josh Silver
Executive Director
Free Press
www.freepress.net

You can do more:

1. If you haven't done so already, sign the SavetheInternet.com petition
http://action.freepress.net/ct/_1NIY9n1ZupN/   and send a message to
Congress.

2. Check out the latest news on the <SavetheInternet.com blog .
http://action.freepress.net/ct/A1NIY9n1Zupx/

3. Learn the facts. Read our new report: Why Consumers Demand Internet
Freedom . http://action.freepress.net/ct/_pNIY9n1Zups/

***

Bush 'planted fake news stories on American TV'

By Andrew Buncombe in Washington

The Independent                 05/29/06

Federal authorities are actively investigating dozens of American television
stations for broadcasting items produced by the Bush administration and
major corporations, and passing them off as normal news. Some of the fake
news segments talked up success in the war in Iraq, or promoted the
companies' products.

Investigators from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) are seeking
information about stations across the country after a report produced by a
campaign group detailed the extraordinary extent of the use of such items.

The report, by the non-profit group Centre for Media and Democracy, found
that over a 10-month period at least 77 television stations were making use
of the faux news broadcasts, known as Video News Releases (VNRs). Not one
told viewers who had produced the items.

"We know we only had partial access to these VNRs and yet we found 77
stations using them," said Diana Farsetta, one of the group's researchers.
"I would say it's pretty extraordinary. The picture we found was much worse
than we expected going into the investigation in terms of just how widely
these get played and how frequently these pre-packaged segments are put on
the air."

Ms Farsetta said the public relations companies commissioned to produce
these segments by corporations had become increasingly sophisticated in
their techniques in order to get the VNRs broadcast. "They have got very
good at mimicking what a real, independently produced television report
would look like," she said.

The FCC has declined to comment on the investigation but investigators from
the commission's enforcement unit recently approached Ms Farsetta for a copy
of her group's report.

The range of VNR is wide. Among items provided by the Bush administration to
news stations was one in which an Iraqi-American in Kansas City was seen
saying "Thank you Bush. Thank you USA" in response to the 2003 fall of
Baghdad. The footage was actually produced by the State Department, one of
20 federal agencies that have produced and distributed such items

Many of the corporate reports, produced by drugs manufacturers such as
Pfizer, focus on health issues and promote the manufacturer's product. One
example cited by the report was a Hallowe'en segment produced by the
confectionery giant Mars, which featured Snickers, M&Ms and other company
brands. While the original VNR disclosed that it was produced by Mars, such
information was removed when it was broadcast by the television channel - in
this case a Fox-owned station in St Louis, Missouri.

Bloomberg news service said that other companies that sponsored the
promotions included General Motors, the world's largest car maker, and
Intel, the biggest maker of semi-conductors. All of the companies said they
included full disclosure of their involvement in the VNRs. "We in no way
attempt to hide that we are providing the video," said Chuck Mulloy, a
spokesman for Intel. "In fact, we bend over backward to make this
disclosure."

The FCC was urged to act by a lobbying campaign organised by Free Press,
another non-profit group that focuses on media policy. Spokesman Craig Aaron
said more than 25,000 people had written to the FCC about the VNRs.
"Essentially it's corporate advertising or propaganda masquerading as news,"
he said. "The public obviously expects their news reports are going to be
based on real reporting and real information. If they are watching an
advertisement for a company or a government policy, they need to be told."

The controversy over the use of VNRs by television stations first erupted
last spring. At the time the FCC issued a public notice warning broadcasters
that they were obliged to inform viewers if items were sponsored. The
maximum fine for each violation is $32,500 (£17,500).

Independent News

***

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/30/opinion/30tue1.html
New York Times
May 30, 2006

Editorial
Block the Vote

In a country that spends so much time extolling the
glories of democracy, it's amazing how many elected
officials go out of their way to discourage voting.
States are adopting rules that make it hard, and
financially perilous, for nonpartisan groups to register
new voters. They have adopted new rules for maintaining
voter rolls that are likely to throw off many eligible
voters, and they are imposing unnecessarily tough ID
requirements.

Florida recently reached a new low when it actually
bullied the League of Women Voters into stopping its
voter registration efforts in the state. The Legislature
did this by adopting a law that seems intended to scare
away anyone who wants to run a voter registration drive.
Since registration drives are particularly important for
bringing poor people, minority groups and less educated
voters into the process, the law appears to be designed
to keep such people from voting.

It imposes fines of $250 for every voter registration
form that a group files more than 10 days after it is
collected, and $5,000 for every form that is not
submitted - even if it is because of events beyond
anyone's control, like a hurricane. The Florida League
of Women Voters, which is suing to block the new rules,
has decided it cannot afford to keep registering new
voters in the state as it has done for 67 years. If a
volunteer lost just 16 forms in a flood, or handed in a
stack of forms a day late, the group's entire annual
budget could be put at risk.

In Washington, a new law prevents people from voting if
the secretary of state fails to match the information on
their registration form with government databases. There
are many reasons that names, Social Security numbers and
other data may not match, including typing mistakes. The
state is supposed to contact people whose data does not
match, but the process is too tilted against voters.

Congress is considering a terrible voter ID requirement
as part of the immigration reform bill. Senator Mitch
McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, introduced an
amendment to require all voters to present a federally
mandated photo ID. Even people who have been voting for
years would need to get a new ID to vote in 2008.
Millions of people without drivers' licenses, including
many elderly people and city residents, might fail to do
so, and be ineligible to vote. The amendment has been
blocked so far, but voting-rights advocates worry that
it could reappear.

These three techniques - discouraging registration
drives, purging eligible voters and imposing
unreasonable ID requirements - keep showing up. Colorado
recently imposed criminal penalties on volunteers who
slip up in registration drives. Georgia, one of several
states to adopt harsh new voter ID laws, had its law
struck down by a federal court.

Protecting the integrity of voting is important, but
many of these rules seem motivated by a partisan desire
to suppress the vote, and particular kinds of voters,
rather than to make sure that those who are entitled to
vote - and only those who are entitled - do so. The
right to vote is fundamental, and Congress and state
legislatures should not pass laws that put an
unnecessary burden on it. If they do, courts should
strike them down.

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change settings:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>