Hi.  Many of you have asked for more information about
Ehren Watada, how to help and where to donate money.
There's now an official website, noted at the end of this story.
Ed

Military Officer Gains National Support for Resisting Deployment
by Sarah Olson

truthout.org - Thursday 08 June 2006
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/060806R.shtml

When 27-year-old US Army First Lieutenant Ehren Watada
announced his refusal to deploy to Iraq yesterday, he
did so surrounded by veterans, military family members,
and members of the religious and anti-war communities.
News of Watada's intent to refuse his orders to deploy
to Iraq has galvanized anti-war communities around the
country, many of which are already calling for a series
of demonstrations in support of Watada's actions. And
others they hope will be inspired to refuse deployment
to Iraq as well.

At a press conference in Tacoma, Washington, Watada
announced his view that the war in Iraq is immoral and
illegal, and his intent was to refuse to deploy to
fight that war. Watada said, "It is my duty as a
commissioned officer of the United States Army to speak
out against grave injustices. I stand before you today
because it is my job to serve and protect soldiers, the
American people and innocent Iraqis with no voice."
Watada went on to say that his participation in the
Iraq war would make him party to grave moral injustice
and war crimes.

While Watada may face a court martial for his decision
to refuse to deploy to Iraq, he has also received
significant support from veterans' organizations.
Members of Iraq Veterans Against the War, the War
Resisters League, and many chapters of Veterans for
Peace have all come to Watada's defense.

Ann Wright is a retired US Army colonel and US diplomat
who resigned her position in 2003 in protest of the war
in Iraq. She says that after spending 29 years in the
military she understands how significant it is for an
officer to disobey not just his direct orders, but also
everything he has been trained to do. Wright says the
entire military establishment is based on order and
discipline, and for an officer to defy this system
based on his personal beliefs takes an enormous amount
of bravery. But she also says it's important for
Watada, as a Lieutenant, to speak publicly. "People
need to know there are these brave young men and women
who are standing up and who are willing to go to jail
because of what they believe." She says people in the
US must understand that the military isn't united in
its support for the war in Iraq.

Camilo Mejia is an Iraq war veteran who spent more than
7 years in the Army. When his conscientious objector
status was denied in 2004, he spent nearly a year in
prison rather than return to Iraq. He says Watada's
public stand is admirable and should be commended. "The
Pentagon recently reported 8,000 cases of desertion.
These are people in the military who are saying 'no' to
their units and the war, but where are they? It takes a
special kind of individual to break the silence and
risk all for a bigger cause."

Mejia hopes Lieutenant Watada's stand inspires others
to refuse their orders as well. "It's going to take
regular people to realize that they don't have to be in
the army and refuse orders to make a difference," Mejia
said. "The stance Ehren is taking is inspiring, but
others need to take more responsibility and realize
that they have power, too, and then they have to use
that power."

Members of religious communities have long opposed the
war in Iraq on moral grounds. Jim Davis is a United
Methodist minister who attended Watada's press
conference yesterday to support his stand. Davis says
the war in Iraq violates traditional Christian just-war
principles and is an ongoing moral issue for all
Christian citizens in the United States. Davis calls on
people around the country to support Lieutenant Watada.

Davis wanted Watada to know that religious communities,
"Stand with you today in support of your act of
conscience as you have sought to do that which is
right. We solute you for your courage to take a moral
stance. We salute you for your compassion for soldiers
and families affected by this war and for your call to
bring the troops home."

While Watada is making a very personal stand against
the war, his family is supporting him through his
decision. Robert Watada told the Honolulu Advertiser,
"My son has a great deal of courage, and clearly
understands what is right, and what is wrong. He's
choosing to do the right thing, which is a hard
course."

Loren Watada is Ehren's older brother. He traveled to
Washington state Wednesday to support his brother
during his press conference in Tacoma. He says he
respects his brother's actions and is behind him one
hundred percent. He fails to see the crime that he is
committing. "What crime has he committed? They're
talking about incarcerating him in prison, but he's not
a criminal. There is no crime he has committed against
our society or our country. He's standing by his
beliefs and saying that the war is an illegal war. To
me, that's not a crime."

Anti-war organizations have launched a campaign to
thank Lieutenant Watada for his actions and to stand
with him in his resistance to what he says is an
immoral and illegal war. David Solnit, a long-time
organizer in the peace movement said, "There is an
umbrella of his family and friends that supports these
courageous actions to support our troops, the American
people and US international law." Many in the anti-war
movement see this as a much needed inspiration to those
who feel that nothing can be done to stop the Iraq war.

Family and friends of Lieutenant Watada have launched a
national campaign to support his actions and to
encourage other military personnel to do the same.
Anti-war activists are planning coordinated national
actions set to begin at the end of June in support of
Watada's anticipated refusal to deploy to Iraq. For
more information, visit the web site:
http://www.thankyoult.org.

Sarah Olson is a radio producer and independent journalist
based in Oakland, California.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

***

Cusack's latest film grew from Iraq grief

BY TARA BURGHART ASSOCIATED PRESS

Chicago Sun             June 9, 2006

John Cusack's motivation for his latest film grew out of something he did
not see--flag-draped caskets returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Pentagon policy bans media coverage of America's war dead as their remains
are returned. The Bush administration has strongly enforced the ban,
something Cusack describes as "one of the most shameful, disgraceful,
cowardly political acts that I've seen in my lifetime."

So the actor started looking for a project that would illustrate "what
happens when the coffins come home."

The result is "Grace Is Gone," a small, independent film in which Cusack
plays a man whose wife, Grace, is killed in service in Iraq. Filming wrapped
last month; the movie's producers--who include Cusack--will be looking for a
distributor or film festival opportunities.

Cusack's character, Stanley, delays telling his two daughters about their
mother's death, instead taking them on a road trip while the former military
man sorts out his complicated feelings about the war.

While Cusack's motivation for taking the part are political, he insists the
movie is not. "It's kind of a spiritual story about grief and hopefully a
little bit of redemption," Cusack said recently.

The screenplay was written by James C. Strouse, who penned "Lonesome Jim,"
which was directed by Steve Buscemi and released earlier this year. "Grace
Is Gone" marks his directorial debut.

While "Grace" is set in a vague Midwestern city, most of the six-week shoot
took place in Chicago due to Cusack's influence. He grew up in suburban
Evanston and divides his time between homes in Chicago and Los Angeles.

Before shooting the scene of Grace's funeral in a Methodist church on the
city's North Side, Cusack, 39, folded his 6-foot-2 frame onto a pew for an
interview. Dressed casually in a gray T-shirt and blue cargo pants, with
sunglasses pushing his rumpled black hair off his forehead, Cusack spoke of
his feelings about the war, the film and what he has tried to accomplish
with his career.

Cusack got his start more than 20 years ago in teen comedies like "Sixteen
Candles," "Better Off Dead" and "The Sure Thing."

Unlike many of his Brat Pack contemporaries, Cusack easily made the
transition to adult parts, often as an underdog or unconventional hero. He
stood out as an underachieving kickboxer in Cameron Crowe's "Say Anything."
He was a con man in "The Grifters," an out-of-work puppeteer in Spike
Jonze's "Being John Malkovich," and a cheating playwright in Woody Allen's
"Bullets Over Broadway."

In the past decade, he has branched out into writing--co-writing "Grosse
Pointe Blank," about a hit man who returns home for his high school reunion,
and also "High Fidelity," in which he also starred as a record-store owner
who compiles lists of most everything in his life, including his top-five
breakups.

While "High Fidelity" was an adaptation of British author Nick Hornby's
London-based novel of the same name, Cusack moved the setting to Chicago.

"I always love to bring films here if I can," he said. "If you finish work
in time, you can go to a Cubs or Sox game."

Over the years, Cusack has balanced big-studio projects, like "America's
Sweethearts," "Con Air" and "Must Love Dogs," with smaller, more personal
films.

"One allows me to do the other. If I do the more commercial ones, then I can
leverage those into the smaller ones, which are harder to get made," Cusack
said.

One movie he often mentions is 2002's controversial "Max," in which Cusack
played a Jewish art dealer who befriends a young Adolf Hitler and encourages
his artistic ambitions. He also produced the film.

"I got that made, which took me three years and a was a real labor of love,
because I've done some romantic comedies. So that's just how it works, or
that's how I've figured out how to work it," he said. "But these are the
ones that kind of get me up in the morning."

Still, Cusack isn't a film snob. He said he enjoys some of the "great big
movie experiences" that Hollywood likes to release during the summer and
holidays, specifically mentioning the "Lord of the Rings" series and the
most recent "Harry Potter" installment.

Regarding his participation in "Grace Is Gone," director Strouse said when
he was writing the script, he and his wife--producer Galt
Niederhoffer--compiled a "dream list" of actors to play Stanley. Cusack was
at the top, and Strouse said that once he signed on filming started a month
later.

"John's kind of a gutsy actor. He likes to try different roles and I think
this was one that he hadn't really had a chance to play--a repressed
Midwesterner. I don't want to say loser, but a lot of times John plays these
very hyperarticulate, energetic, urban characters," Strouse said, "and this
guy is sort of 180 degrees from what you think of when you think of a
typical John Cusack character."

Strouse, an Indiana native, said he was glad to film in Chicago, and as a
first-time director, welcomed Cusack's more than 20 years of film
experience.

"At times he was like a mentor, but he was very respectful," Strouse said.
"He had a lot of suggestions, but he always deferred to me if I had a
different opinion. If we couldn't agree, we would try it both ways."

Meanwhile, Cusack praised Strouse as "a very poetic guy, a really talented
writer" who did a great job as a director.

The actor said he wonders if people reading about his political opinions
will keep some from seeing the movie. Others, he believes, will appreciate
the timeliness.

"I feel that people will be interested in seeing the story of the human cost
of this" war, Cusack said. "I think people are probably tired of being
manipulated endlessly on the reasons and realities of this
misadventure--political misadventure. I don't mean the soldiers fighting, I
mean the civilian leadership."

Whatever the case, Cusack said he does not dwell on how his movies are
initially received by the critics or public.

"I'm not worried about how it turns out in the first two months after it's
released. A piece of art takes a while to be appreciated or not--if it is a
piece of art. You try to make something that has some value and then in
three, four or five years, it will still be interesting or it will have a
pulse.

"Some things that you make, people say are terrific right away and they
don't really hold up," Cusack said. "You just sort of make it, and it's all
about the process of making it. Trying to do the best you can. And then you
have to wait for a long time to see if it has resonance anyway."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cusak09.html

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>