Happy birthday to two of my favorite people ~

S. Brian Willson (on right) & Ron Kovic, Author of Born On the 4th of
July

(Frank left out Change Links editor John Johnson, also plobbed into this world
July 4)

 HYPERLINK "http://www.addictedtowar.com/Ron Kovic and S. Brian
Willson.jpg"

What the Flag Means To Me

by S. Brian Willson
July 4, 2000

I was probably seven years old before it really sunk in that everybody
in my town was not celebrating my birthday on July 4. It was an exciting
day with parades, picnics, fireworks and, in my case, special birthday
parties and gifts. I lived much of my young life with the extra boost of
having been born on the day that our earliest political framers signed
the Declaration of Independence, an historical act of defiance against
monarchial colonial rule from distant England. I remember proudly
carrying the U.S. American flag in one of the July 4th parades in my
small, agricultural town in upstate New York. And for years I felt
goosebumps looking at Old Glory waving in the breeze during the playing
of the national anthem or as it passed by in a parade. How lucky I was
to have been born in the greatest country in the history of the world,
and blessed by God to boot. Such a blessing, such a deal!

It wasn't until many years later, while reading an issue of the armed
forces newspaper Stars and Stripes in Vietnam, that I began thinking and
feeling differently about the flag and what it represents. There was a
story about an arrest for flag burning somewhere in the United States. I
had recently experienced the horror of seeing numerous bodies of young
women and children that were burned alive in a small Delta village
devastated by napalm. I imagined that since the pilots had
"successfully" hit their targets, they were feeling good and probably
had received glowing reports that would bode well in their military
record for promotions. I wondered why it was okay to burn innocent human
beings 10,000 miles from my home town, but not okay to burn a piece of
cloth that was symbolic of the country that had horribly napalmed those
villagers. Something was terribly wrong with the Cold War rhetoric of
fighting communism that made me question what our nation stood for.
There was a grand lie, an American myth, that was being fraudulently
preserved under the cloak of our flag.

It took me years to process this clear cognitive dissonance between the
rhetoric of my cultural teachings and the reality of my own personal
experiences. I had to accept that, either there was serious distortion
in how I was interpreting my personal realities, or the cultural
rhetoric was terribly distorted. Hmm. A dilemma! If I accepted the
former, I could relax and feel good about being an "American." If I
accepted the latter, I would experience a serious identity crisis,
perhaps a nervous breakdown. But no matter how hard I tried, I could not
ignore what my own conscience was continually telling me.

I began a serious reflection that included careful study of U.S. and
world history. When I was a teenager living near Seneca Indian
reservations in western New York State I occasionally heard Seneca
acquaintances utter "jokes" about how the "White man speaks with forked
tongue." We thought it funny at the time. But then I discovered how my
country really was founded. There were hundreds of nations comprised of
millions of human beings--yes, human beings--living throughout the land
before our European ancestors arrived here in the 1600s. The U.S.
government signed over 400 treaties with various Indigenous nations and
violated every one of them. And over time these original peoples were
systematically eliminated in what amounted to the first genuine American
holocaust.

When I reread the Declaration of Independence I noted words I hadn't
been aware of before: "He [the King of Great Britain] has excited
domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavored to bring on the
inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian savages, whose known
rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes
and conditions." Honest history reveals that the very land upon which
our founding fathers began this new experiment in freedom had been taken
by violence and deceit, ironically using the same diabolical methods the
framers accused of those already living here. It became obvious after
extensive reading that my European ancestors did not believe that
Indigenous Americans were human beings worthy of respect, but
despicable, non-human creatures, worthy only of extermination. The
pre-Columbus population of Indigenous in the Western Hemisphere is
estimated to have been at least 100 million (8-12 million north of the
Rio Grande). By 1900 this population had been reduced to about 5 percent
of its former size. An Indigenous friend of mine, a Seneca man who had
served the U.S. military in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, and then
after retiring, discovered his ancestral roots as a native American,
once remarked to me: "I call the American flag 'Old Gory,' the red
representing the blood, and the white, the bones, of my murdered
ancestors."

When adding to our first holocaust the damage done to African cultures
through forcefully seizing human beings to be slaves in order to build
our early agricultural and industrial base, and the carnage from nearly
300 U.S. overt military and thousands of covert interventions in the
Twentieth Century to acquire access to markets and resources on our
selfish terms, we see there are actually three holocausts that have
enabled the "glorious American civilization" to be what it is today. It
is now estimated that Africa lost 50 million of its population to the
slave trade, at least two-thirds of whom were killed resisting capture
or died during the horrors of transit; an estimated 20 to 30 million
people in the Third World have been killed as a result of U.S.
interventions. Note that when other peoples all over the globe have
attempted to emulate the spirit of our Declaration of Independence (a
proclamation of self-determination), such as Vietnam explicitly did in
1945, our government not only has turned a deaf ear, but has done
everything in its power short of dropping Atomic bombs to destroy their
efforts to obtain independence. This is the foundation upon which we
have built "America." Quite the karma!

The founding of our Republic was conducted in secrecy by an upper class
who insisted on a strong national government that could assure a
successful but forceful clearing of western lands, enabling the safe
settlement and economic development of previously inhabited Indigenous
territory. Our Founding Fathers did not represent the common people.
Some historians believe that if the Constitution itself had been
subjected to a genuine vote of all the people it would have been
resoundly defeated. Subsequently, what evolved is a political system run
by plutocrats who perpetuate an economic system that protects the
interests of those who finance their campaigns (a form of bribery). The
U.S. government is a democracy in name only. Never have we had a
government that seriously addresses the plight of the people, whether it
be workers, minorities, women, the poor, etc. Whatever has been achieved
in terms of rights and benefits for these constituencies, i.e., the
people, has been struggled for against substantial repression, and the
constant threat the gains will be subsequently lost. Intense pressures
are applied by the selfish oligarchy which seeks ever increased profits,
rarely, if ever, considering the expense to the health of the majority
of people, their local cultures, and the ecology.

What the West calls capitalism is nothing like what Adam Smith had in
mind with his views of decentralized networks of small entrepreneurs
working in harmony with the needs and forces of others in their own
communities. What we have is a savage system of centrally
institutionalized greed that is unable to generalize an equitable way of
life for the majority of people here in the U.S., or in the rest of the
world. It requires incredible exploitation of human and other natural
resources all over the globe with the forcible protection of military
and paramilitary forces financed or sanctioned by governments. It
thrives on its own sinister version of welfare where the public
financially guarantees--through tax loopholes, subsidies, contracts, and
outright bailouts--the profitable success of the major corporations and
financial institutions, especially, but not exclusively, in the
military-industrial complex. Additionally, our monopoly capitalism
defines efficiency by totally ignoring the true costs of its production
and distribution. It conveniently forgets the huge ecological and human
exhaustion costs (both being our true wealth). If these costs were
included, the system would be finished in a second. The reality, upon
honest examination, is that the economic system we call capitalism, now
neoliberal, global capitalism, is cruelly based on a very fraudulent set
of assumptions that justify massive exploitation. The reality, upon
honest examination, is that our political system was founded, and has
been maintained to this very day by substantive plutocracy, not
democracy.

So when I see the flag and think of the Declaration of Independence,
instead of the United States of America, I see the United Corporations
of America; I see the blood and bones of people all over the globe who
have been dehumanized, then exterminated by its imperialism; and I see a
symbol that represents a monstrous lie maintained by excessive, deadly
force. It makes me feel sick, and ashamed. And I know that my opinions
being expressed here will not be popular, even among some of my closest
friends. But I cannot ignore the reality as I now understand it. I
believe we are living one of the most incredible lies in history,
covered over by one of the most successful campaigns of public rhetoric,
ignoring empirical reality. It is truly amazing! I hope that one day we
will end our willful ignorance and be able to see our transgressions,
and beg, on our knees, for forgiveness, and then wail as we begin to
feel the incredible pain and anguish we have caused the world as well as
our own bodies, minds, souls, and culture.

Brian's web site is: HYPERLINK
"http://www.brianwillson.com"www.brianwillson.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brian's statement about ADDICTED To WAR

"Our original White ancestors possessed both a Eurocentric racism and a
religiously-based arrogant ethnocentrism that justified, and continues
to justify, a continuum of expansion, initially for land, then markets
and the drive for increased profits, and a way of life, i.e., the
American Way of Life (AWOL). In the early 1600's, Captain John Smith of
the Virginia Colony referred to the native inhabitants as 'sub-animals'
worthy only of extermination as rationalization for unilaterally
controlling the land and the inevitable associated guiding policies of
hegemony.

Through all the phases of U.S. "Manifest Destiny," from the Appalachian
Mountains and the Ohio River Valley to the Pacific Ocean, then to the
entire globe, the evolving "national interest" has increasingly, and
aggressively, sought for our "special deserving" one-twentieth of the
world's population, a disproportionate consumption of the globe's
resources that at times approaches one-half of what is available for all
the earth's inhabitants. Exploitation is a given! There is no
possibility for justice if this unfair formula persists.

This voracious, mindless materialism can only be achieved through the
use, or threat of use, of brute force. Thus, as we are addicted to AWOL,
we are necessarily Addicted to War.

This illustrated expose by Joel Andreas clearly lays out this pattern,
and severe problem, in the hope that people of the United States might
SEE that our addictions are rapidly leading toward destruction of much
of the life on our dear Mother Earth, including extinction of our
species, and of course, our own "civilization".

As Gandhi said, "There is enough for everyone's need, but not enough for
everyone's greed." Let us pray for an historic and radical alteration of
our consciousness, from that of selfishness to humble & sacred
ecological interconnectedness. That would be revolutionary!"

"The U.S., with 4.5% of the world’s population, arrogantly plunders
resources and cultures to support its American way of life.  Addicted to
War illustrates why the U.S. is necessarily  dependent upon war to feed
its shameful consumption patterns."

 HYPERLINK "http://www.brianwillson.com/"; \nS. Brian Willson
Vietnam Veteran For Peace

“Addicted To War is an extraordinarily important and powerful little
book.
Every American should read it.”

Ron Kovic,

Vietnam Veteran, author of "Born on the 4th of July"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Peace,

Frank Dorrel

Publisher