Here's a bourgeois economics, but very sober and factual, assessment of the
sorry state of the US economy. Did people notice that California "created"
a net of 900 new jobs last month? This piece doesn't connect it to the
costs of the empire, the war and the greed of the imperialists, and it
doesn't even begin to look at the impact rising prices due to the oil price
will have.--MN

FALSE PROSPERITY

Present Economy Driven By Consuming Our Accumulated Wealth Not Income

By historical standards, our present economy is being driven by selling the
“family jewels” rather than measured consumption commensurate with actual
income.  In recent years, income growth after inflation has been at or near
zero percent.  Contributions to economic growth have been largely limited
to two factors: (1) rapid increases in asset prices (public equities during
the 1990’s and housing equity in the first part of the 2000’s) and (2)
inviting cheap overseas imports into the US produced at a fraction of the
amount it would cost us to produce.  As a result, we are now extremely
vulnerable as our industrial infrastructure has almost shut down (as our
cost to produce is uncompetitive) or sold out.  Now we can no longer
produce enough for ourselves to maintain our present strength and living
standards and have become dangerously dependent on imports.

According to a recent Bloomberg article, household wealth grew six times
faster than wages from 2001 to 2005 – the biggest gap of any five year
period in history.  Meanwhile, trade deficits have sent trillions of
dollars of US assets overseas during that time to finance the consumption
of foreign oil and other largely perishable goods.  Internal US government
budget deficits are now for the first time almost 100% financed by foreign
lenders.

If we were spending what we were actually making, US GDP would likely be
stagnant or receding.  The personal savings rate has for the first time in
decades turned negative meaning that we are consuming every dollar we make
plus spending trillions of dollars of accumulated wealth.  There is no
longer any cushion.

At present, this economic “joyride” has claimed the lower classes as
victims while leaving middle and upper classes with a false sense of
prosperity.  Those without significant assets are not able to participate
because their consumption and savings are largely composed of income from
stagnating wages.  They are condemned to live paycheck to paycheck.  Cheap
imports, offshore outsourcing, foreign insourcing, and the liquidation of
US industry are placing tremendous pressure on wages.  Goods producing
industries (typically the highest paying industries on average) are
shrinking rapidly while low-paying service industry positions (waitress,
retail, education) are not even creating enough jobs to keep pace with
population growth.

Ironically at this point, the standard of living of the lower income
population is being sustained by the same low-cost imports at discount
retailers that have destroyed their opportunity for economic
advancement.  We have lost our leverage.

History tells us that no country can continue indefinitely to sell its
wealth, borrow from other countries, and sentence its citizens to hopeless
servitude.  Pressure on the US dollar due to decades of outrageous foreign
borrowing is being temporarily offset by the rising US interest rates
(rising interest rates tend to buoy the value of a country’s currency for a
time).  Despite recent increase of over 4% points, the value of the US
dollar has still declined.  Furthermore, these rate increases are a huge
cost to the US – especially to those who do not benefit from the increased
yield on their investments because they have no investment!

The US government is now forced to raise rates or accept a lower dollar and
more expensive imports.  The only other vehicles available to the
government include taxation, subsidies, and perhaps default.  Any of these
options are going to cost all classes of this country.

Former Federal Reserve and Treasury officials, Nobel Prize-winning
economists, preeminent investors, and industry leaders have widely
acknowledged these imbalances for many years.  Those in power who must face
the music are looking for every reason to push the difficult decisions to
the “next guy.”  However, there is no hope of recovery without a plan – and
there can be no plan until there is at least an acknowledgement that the
problem exists by those who are in power!  Demand leaders who will address
these issues now even though it may be too late.

This article can be found at:
http://www.economyincrisis.org/showarticle.asp?ID=1008

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>