Bush's Disastrous Troop Plan

In Iraq there are no good options, but President Bush's plan
to expand the armed forces appears inclined to the worst.

By Christopher Dickey
Newsweek

Dec. 21, 2006 - Not so very many years ago, Baghdad thrived with
intellectuals and artists, a few of whom survived even during the
decades of Saddam Hussein's single-minded tyranny. The poets considered
T.S. Eliot something of a god, and his iconic work, "The Waste Land" a
kind of scripture. They found hope in the notion that love and
sacrifice might triumph over the despair and sterile devastation of
their own "cracked earth."

Today, those I knew in Baghdad who remembered Eliot and wrote about him
have died or, long since, abandoned a city that has become the
epicenter of a widening civil war. But as I watched President George W.
Bush give his press conference yesterday, I couldn't help thinking of
another Eliot poem. In "The Hollow Men," there is that line about
"paralysed force, gestures without motion," and the famous conclusion
about the world ending "not with a bang but a whimper." And there was
Bush: trying desperately to contrive some way to claim a triumph in a
country he has turned into death's dream kingdom, pretending to have
strategies where none exist, ignoring realities and taking refuge in
willful ignorance even as he claimed to feel the pain of the dying.

What Bush appears to be talking about now is essentially an incremental
change masquerading as a bid to turn the tide of the conflict. He wants
to increase the size of the American armed forces, he said. But when he
was asked if he supported a proposed "surge" of 20,000 or more American
soldiers on the ground in Baghdad, he equivocated: "I haven't made up
my mind yet about more troops." He is listening to advice, he claimed,
and he doesn't want to give away the big announcements he's got planned
for January: "I'm not going to speculate out loud about what I'm going
to tell the nation, when I'm prepared to do so, about the way forward."
Apparently The Decider has decided not to explain to the public what
he's decided until he decides he's good and ready.

Decidedly, we've heard this kind of spin before. Four years ago, when
Bush knew damn well he was going to invade Iraq, he kept telling the
public he hadn't made any final determination. That's just his way. But
I hope I'm wrong. I hope the president really does listen to his
generals and to the Iraq Study Group and to others who are explaining
to him ever so patiently that the surge would be a bad idea. Maybe a
sports metaphor would work: this is like calling a quarterback sneak
for a final desperate push into the end zone -- when you're still back at
the 50-yard line.

"Operation Forward Together" in August and September, the last grand
plan to secure Baghdad by pouring in more troops (and cruelly extending
their tours at the last minute was a dismal failure. Insurgent attacks
increased 22 percent by October. A few thousand more Americans on the
streets aren't going to change such savage arithmetic. And, as the
skeptical generals keep asking, what function are those boots on the
ground supposed to serve? If their job is to separate Iraqi Shiite and
Sunni neighbors who've learned to fear and loathe each other since the
U.S. invasion, who now nourish ferocious vendettas, and who thoroughly
disrespect American grunts who share nothing of their language, faith,
culture or long-term concerns -- well, that's just not going to work. We
will have made our big push, our last-ditch drive, and come up short.

The surge is a surefire formula, in fact, for turning what still could
be called a retreat with honor into an outright defeat with
humiliation. That is just what America's enemies around the world would
like to see -- and it is just what the wise men and the sage woman on the
Iraq Study Group wanted to avoid. Their plan as of two weeks ago (it
seems so long already) was for "our" Iraqis to win the war, of course,
if such a thing were possible, but much more importantly for the Iraqis
to bear responsibility for losing it if they fail to get their act
together. It was a cynical strategy for shifting blame, and far from
ideal, but at least it wasn't built on a cheerleader's delusion that
more American muscle is what it takes to set the Iraqis straight.

Meanwhile, the chances to pursue diplomacy that could stabilize the
region are fast disappearing. Flynt Leverett, formerly a senior CIA
analyst and a National Security Council staffer in Bush's first term,
presented a powerfully argued paper at a Century Foundation conference
in Washington earlier this month advocating a "grand bargain" with
Iran. To help defuse the conflict in Iraq, stabilize Lebanon and
persuade Tehran to curtail its nuclear ambitions, the United States
would offer Iran solid security guarantees as well as economic and
technological cooperation. Why does Leverett think this would be
effective? Because he and his wife, diplomat Hillary Mann, were
involved with the secret negotiations the Bush administration conducted
with Tehran for a year and a half. His paper traces those talks -- and the
way the administration fumbled them, then sabotaged them -- step by step.
Now, Leverett warns that the window for any such agreement is closing
as Iran sees American power and prestige waning quickly, its own
strength growing and its nuclear centrifuges spinning.

The White House reaction to Leverett's ideas? He sought official
clearance to publish essentially the same material on The New York
Times op-ed page last week (as a former CIA man, Leverett has to do
this, and he already had gotten approval for the academic paper). He
was told the op-ed piece couldn't be published. It touched on material
that was too sensitive.

And so we go on: led by the hollow men toward a waste land of their own
making.

(c) 2006 MSNBC.com

***