This has been by far one of the most interesting reports I have read yet
especially, knowing that this came from a US. Senator ( who is showing
Spine) Please read.

Published on Thursday, January 18, 2007 by The Nation
<http://www.thenation.com>

An Impartial Interrogation of George W. Bush

by George McGovern

Senator George McGovern delivered these remarks at the National Press Club
January 12. They are published here as part of Moral Compass, a series
focusing on the spoken word.

I'm glad to be back at the National Press Club. Indeed, at the age of
eighty-four, I'm glad to be anywhere. In my younger years when the subject
of aging came up, trying to sound worldly wise, I would say, "It doesn't
matter so much the number of years you have, but what you do with those
years." I don't say that anymore. I now want to reach a hundred. Why?
Because I thoroughly enjoy life and there are so many things I must still do
before entering the mystery beyond. The most urgent of these is to get
American soldiers out of the Iraqi hellhole Bush-Cheney and their
neoconservative theorists have created in what was once called the cradle of
civilization. It is believed to be the location of the Garden of Eden. I
mention the neoconservative theorists to recall Walter Lippman's observance,
"There is nothing so dangerous as a belligerent professor."

One of the things I miss about my eighteen years in the US Senate are the
stories of the old Southern Democrats. I didn't always vote with them, but I
loved their technique of responding to an opponent's questions with a
humorous story. Once when Senator Sam Ervin of North Carolina had to handle
a tough question from Mike Mansfield, he said, "You know, Mr. Leader, that
question reminds me of the old Baptist preacher who was telling a class of
Sunday school boys the creation story. 'God created Adam and Eve and from
this union came two sons, Cain and Abel and thus the human race developed.'
A boy in the class then asked, 'Reverend, where did Cain and Abel get their
wives?' After frowning for a moment, the preacher replied, 'Young man--it's
impertinent questions like that that's hurtin' religion.'"

Well, Mr. Bush, Jr. I have some impertinent questions for you.

Mr. President, Sir, when reporter Bob Woodward asked you if you had
consulted with your father before ordering our army into Iraq you said, "No,
he's not the father you call on a decision like this. I talked to my
heavenly Father above." My question, Mr. President: If God asked you to
bombard, invade and occupy Iraq for four years, why did he send an opposite
message to the Pope? Did you not know that your father, George Bush, Sr.,
his Secretary of State James Baker and his National Security Advisor General
Scowcroft were all opposed to your invasion? Wouldn't you, our troops, the
American people and the Iraqis all be much better off if you had listened to
your more experienced elders including your earthly father? Instead of
blaming God for the awful catastrophe you have unleashed in Iraq, wouldn't
it have been less self-righteous if you had fallen back on the oft-quoted
explanation of wrongdoing, "The devil made me do it?"

And Mr. President, after the 9/11 hit against the Twin Towers in New York,
which gained us the sympathy and support of the entire world, why did you
then order the invasion of Iraq, which had nothing to do with 9/11? Are you
aware that your actions destroyed the international reservoir of good will
towards the United States? What is the cost to America of shattering the
standing and influence of our country in the eyes of the world?

Why, Mr. President did you pressure the CIA to report falsely that Iraq was
building weapons of mass destruction including nuclear weapons? And when you
ordered your Secretary of State, Colin Powell, to go to New York and present
to the UN the Administration's "evidence" that Iraq was an imminent nuclear
threat to the United States, were you aware that after reading this
deceitful statement to the UN, Mr. Powell told an aid that the so-called
evidence was "bullshit"?

Is it reasonable to you, President Bush, that Colin Powell told you near the
end of your first term that he would not be in your Administration if you
were to receive a second term? What decent person could survive two full
terms of forced lying and deceit?

And Mr. President, how do you enjoy your leisure time, and how can you sleep
at night knowing that 3,014 young Americans have died in a war you
mistakenly ordered? What do you say to the 48,000 young Americans who have
been crippled for life in mind or body? What is your reaction to the
conclusion of the leading British medical journal (Lancet) that since you
ordered the bombardment and occupation of Iraq four years ago, 600,000 Iraqi
men, women and children have been killed? What do you think of the
destruction of the Iraqi's homes, their electrical and water systems, their
public buildings?

Read the Full Report Here: http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0118-26.htm

"Untainted" News on "Real" World Issues

On 90.7 FM KPFK Or 98.7 FM Santa Barbara

http://www.kpfk.org/ <blocked::http://www.kpfk.org/>

http://www.commondreams.org/ <blocked::http://www.commondreams.org/>

Ara

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>