A regularly updated list of Jan 27th anti-war events is posted on:
http://www.unitedforpeace.org , currently approaching 100 cities.
And Bush did not even MENTION Katrina/New Orleans recovery.
Ed

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/24/opinion/24wed1.html

The State of the Union

NY Times Editorial: January 24, 2007

The White House spin ahead of George W. Bush's seventh State of the Union
address was that the president would make a bipartisan call to revive his
domestic agenda with "bold and innovative concepts." The problem with that
was obvious last night - in six years, Mr. Bush has shown no interest in
bipartisanship, and his domestic agenda was set years ago, with huge tax
cuts for wealthy Americans and crippling debt for the country.

Combined with the mounting cost of the war in Iraq, that makes boldness and
innovation impossible unless Mr. Bush truly changes course. And he gave no
hint of that last night. Instead, he offered up a tepid menu of ideas that
would change little: a health insurance notion that would make only a tiny
dent in a huge problem. More promises about cutting oil consumption with
barely a word about global warming. And the same lip service about
immigration reform on which he has failed to deliver.

At times, Mr. Bush sounded almost as if he'd gotten the message of the 2006
elections. "Our citizens don't much care which side of the aisle we sit on -
as long as we are willing to cross that aisle when there is work to be
 done," he said.

But we've heard that from Mr. Bush before. In early 2001, he promised to
bring Americans together and instead embarked on his irresponsible tax cuts,
a divisive right-wing social agenda and a neo-conservative foreign policy
that tore up international treaties and alienated even America's closest
allies. In the wake of 9/11, Mr. Bush had a second chance to rally the
nation - and the world - only to squander it on a pointless, catastrophic
war in Iraq. Mr. Bush promised bipartisanship after his re-election in 2004,
and again after Hurricane Katrina. Always, he failed to deliver. He did not
even mention New Orleans last night.

When Republicans controlled Congress and the White House, Mr. Bush's only
real interest was in making their majority permanent; consultation meant
telling the Democrats what he had decided.

Neither broken promises nor failed policies changed Mr. Bush's mind. So the
nation has been saddled with tax cuts that have turned a budget surplus into
a big deficit, education reform that has been badly managed and
underfinanced, far-right judges with scant qualifications, the dismantling
of regulations in order to benefit corporations at the expense of workers,
and a triumph of ideology over science in policy making on the environment
and medical research. All along, Americans' civil liberties and the
constitutional balance have been trampled by a president determined to
assert ever more power.

Now that the Democrats have taken Congress, Mr. Bush is acting as if he'd
had the door to compromise open all along and the Democrats had refused to
walk through it.

Last night, Mr. Bush also acted as if he were really doing something to help
the 47 million people in this country who don't have health insurance. What
he offered, by the White House's own estimate, would take a few million off
that scandalously high number and shift the burden to the states. Mr. Bush's
plan would put a new tax on Americans who were lucky enough to still have
good health-care coverage through their employers. Some large portion of
those are middle class and represented by the labor unions that Mr. Bush and
the Republicans are dedicated to destroying.

Mr. Bush's comments on Iraq added nothing to his failed policies. He did, at
last, propose a permanent increase in the size of the Army and Marines that
would repair some of the damage he has done to those forces. But that would
take years, and it would do nothing to halt Iraq's spiral. Mr. Bush failed
to explain how he would pay for a larger force, which would almost certainly
require cutting budget-busting weapons programs. That would mean going up
against the arms industry and its lobbyists - something Mr. Bush has never
been willing to do.

Mr. Bush almost certainly didn't intend it, but his speech did reinforce one
vital political fact - that it's not just up to him anymore. There was a big
change last night: the audience. Instead of solid Republican majorities
marching in lock step with the White House, Congress is controlled by
Democrats. It will be their task to give leadership to a nation that
desperately wants change and expects its leaders to work together to deliver
it. The Democrats' challenge will be to form real coalitions with willing
Republicans. If they do, Mr. Bush may even be forced, finally, to
compromise.

Say what you will about the flaws and shortcomings of the two-party system.
After six years of the Bush presidency, at least we know it's a lot better
than the one-party system.

***

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20070123_the_world_agrees_stop_him/

Truthdig: January 23, 2007

The World Agrees: Stop Him

By RobertSheer

Stop him before he kills again. That is the judgment of the American people,
and indeed of the entire world, as to the performance of our president, and
no State of the Union address can erase that dismal verdict.

President Bush has accomplished what Osama bin Laden only dreamed of by
disgracing the model of American democracy in the eyes of the world.
According to an exhaustive BBC poll, nearly three-quarters of those polled
in 25 countries oppose the Bush policy on Iraq, and more than two-thirds
believe the U.S. presence in the Middle East destabilizes the region.

In other words, the almost universal support the United States enjoyed after
the 9/11 terrorist attacks has been completely squandered, as a majority of
the world's people now believe that our role in the entire world is
negative.

"The thing that comes up repeatedly is not just anger about Iraq," said
Steven Kull, the director of the Program on International Policy Attitudes
at the University of Maryland, which helped conduct the global poll. "The
common theme is hypocrisy. The reaction tends to be: 'You were a champion of
a certain set of rules. Now you are breaking your own rules, so you are
being hypocritical.' "

More depressing, that judgment is shared by those who know us best: our
allies in Britain, the only country still willing to share our sacrifices in
Bush's once ballyhooed "Coalition of the Willing." Despite British Prime
Minister Tony Blair's dogged support of his American chum, fully 81 percent
of Britons told the BBC they are opposed to U.S. actions in Iraq, while a
scant 14 percent still believe the United States is a stabilizing force in
the Mideast.

But it is not just our failure in that all-important region that disgraces
us. Those around the world who still believe we play a positive global role
has dropped to a miserable 29 percent, strikingly similar to Bush's overall
performance numbers at home, according to the most recent CBS poll. So it's
true: Bush is "a uniter, not a divider"-uniting people across the world in
their opposition to his policies.

With a whopping 71 percent saying in an ABC-Washington Post poll that the
country is seriously off track, the Post called it "the highest such
expression of national pessimism in more than a decade." And that's at a
time when the economy, presumed to be the all-important bellwether, is in
halfway decent shape.

It's the war, stupid, and ending it is the major concern of most Americans,
while all other issues are in single digits of importance to them.

In a shocking twist, Americans are now turning to the Democrats in Congress
for leadership on foreign policy. "Three in 5 Americans trust congressional
Democrats more than Bush to deal with Iraq, and the same proportion want
Congress to try to block his troop-increase plan," reported the Post. That
is a mandate the Democrats ignore at their own peril.

Even an increasing number of congressional Republicans, most recently Sen.
John Warner of Virginia, have made it clear that ending this disastrous
adventure is vital to their electoral future. Warner, along with several
moderates in both parties, proposed legislation on Tuesday opposing Bush's
sending of 21,500 additional troops to Iraq.

In fact, it seems as if everyone gets it except the president and those
still hunkered down with him in the White House. "They've backed themselves
into a tough corner," GOP pollster Tony Fabrizio told the Post, "and the
problem is his continued insistence for the troop increase, which flies in
the face of what 70 percent of Americans want."

He added that it makes Bush seem to say, "I'll listen to you, but I'll do
what I want anyway." Hardly the message that the leader of the world's
greatest experiment in representative democracy should be sending to the
world. It is a message voters in the midterm election soundly rejected,
along with the association of this great country with torture and chicanery,
and it is the basis of what the Post calls a mainstream America "honeymoon"
with the Democrats.

Americans understand in their gut that the long-term consequences of
disillusionment with democracy, here and abroad, would be disastrous. In the
same way Congress repudiated an out-of-control president three decades ago,
the House and Senate must show the world today that our celebrated system of
checks and balances is not just a fanciful mirage.

Spreading the ideal of democracy throughout the world remains a compelling
obligation of those who enjoy freedom, making this an excellent occasion to
demonstrate that we still possess a system capable of holding a deceitful
and egomaniacal leader accountable.

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>