Hi.  It's old-friends' Friday.  Here are two of them and this afternoon's
will be Bob Zaugh's trip to Angola prison and Gary Tyler.

Jeff just sent this.  I'd read Goldberg's column a few times when he
replaced Robert Scheer, but found his ideas so ignorant I skip them,
bemoaning how far the Times has fallen and shrunk, in every way.
Fortunately, for purposes of this mailing, he wrote this dilly, Thursday.

"http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-goldberg8feb08,0,5612072.column?coll=la-opinion-center

Global cooling costs too much
By Jonah Goldberg

LA Times Op-Ed: Thursday, February 8th, 2007

What would you prefer -- increase temperatures by less than a degree, or
give up all the world's wealth?
February 8, 2007

PUBLIC POLICY is all about trade-offs. Economists understand this better
than politicians because voters want to have their cake and eat it too, and
politicians think whatever is popular must also be true.

Economists understand that if we put a chicken in every pot, it might cost
us an aircraft carrier or a hospital. We can build a hospital, but it might
come at the expense of a little patch of forest. We can protect a wetland,
but that will make a new school more expensive.

You get it already. But let me just add that in the great scheme of
trade-offs in the history of humanity, never has there been a better one
than trading a tiny amount of global warming for a massive amount of
global prosperity."

...and so on.  Here's Jeff, taking on this potty brain and the bosses he
panders to.
Ed

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/47729/

Jonah Goldberg's Gambling Debt: Will Tribune Company Pay It?
By Jeff Cohen

Right-wing pundit Jonah Goldberg made a bet two years ago that by this time
Iraqis and Americans would agree the war was worth it. Time to pay up.
There are many shades of right-wing punditry in our country. Among the
shadiest is Jonah Goldberg. With arrogance seemingly matched only by his
ignorance, Goldberg was just being Goldberg when he offered this wager two
years ago:

 "Let's make a bet. I predict that Iraq won't have a civil war, that it will
have a viable constitution, and that a majority of Iraqis and Americans
will, in two years time, agree that the war was worth it. I'll bet $1,000
(which I can hardly spare right now)."

The two-year period comes due Thursday. Even Goldberg now realizes his
prediction was totally wrong -- with poll after poll showing most Americans
do not "agree that the war was worth it." (Not to mention what Iraqis think
of the war or Goldberg's boast that "Iraq won't have a civil war.")

So shouldn't Goldberg -- or somebody -- pay off the $1,000?

The bet was offered near the end of an overheated blogo-debate between
Goldberg (at National Review Online) and Dr. Juan Cole, the Middle East
scholar from University of Michigan. In proposing the wager to Cole,
Goldberg goaded: "Money where your mouth is, doc. One caveat: Because I
don't think it's right to bet on such serious matters for personal gain, if
I win, I'll donate the money to the USO."

Cole reacted to the proposed bet with disgust -- calling it symbolic of "the
neo-imperial American Right. They are making their own fortunes with a wager
on the fates of others, whom they are treating like ants." Wrote Cole: "Here
we have a prominent American media star ... betting on Iraqis as though they
are greyhounds in a race."

Just before Goldberg proposed his bet to Cole, the professor had fumed:
"Goldberg is just a dime-a-dozen pundit. Cranky rich people hire
sharp-tongued and relatively uninformed young people all the time and put
them on the mass media to badmouth the poor, spread bigotry, exalt mindless
militarism, promote anti-intellectualism, and ensure that right-wing views
come to predominate."

"Relatively uninformed" seemed accurate to me, but I wondered about the
"mindless militarism" charge -- although I knew Goldberg was one of dozens
of pundits who mindlessly cheered on the Iraq invasion (and suffered no
consequences). Then I saw a 2003 column in which Goldberg wrote of "bombing
Afghanistan forward into the stone age" and relished this anecdote:

  In the weeks prior to the war to liberate Afghanistan, a good friend of
mine would ask me almost every day, "Why aren't we killing people yet?" And
I never had a good answer for him. Because one of the most important and
vital things the United States could do after 9/11 was to kill people.

Since Goldberg felt compelled to tell us -- as he gallantly offered the
$1,000 bet -- that it was money he "can hardly spare right now," you may
wonder about his ability to pay. A look at his bio shows that Goldberg has
had a high-flying career in mainstream media -- from CNN contributor to PBS
producer to USA Today Board of Contributors. (Full disclosure: In 2000, he
and I wrote relatively friendly point/counterpoint columns for Brill's
Content.) One would think he could easily afford $1,000, especially for a
charity like the USO.

But who knows -- maybe Goldberg has racked up huge gambling debts from
ignorant wagers like the one tendered to Cole.

So I have a solution. Let the Tribune media conglomerate pay the $1,000. Not
only does Tribune syndicate Goldberg's column, it was Tribune's Los Angeles
Times that added the analytically impaired Goldberg to its columnist roster
in November 2005 -- at the same time it fired renowned columnist Robert
Scheer, whose Iraq analysis had been breathtakingly accurate.

Despite financial upheavals, the highly profitable Tribune Co. has plenty of
money, as it lays off journalists en masse and squeezes the life out once
proud newspapers like the L.A. Times.

Professor Cole may be right to dismiss Jonah Goldberg as a "dime-a-dozen
pundit." But it's time to hold media corporations like Tribune responsible
for elevating the Goldbergs and their reckless predictions -- as they
strangle newspapers and silence serious journalists like Bob Scheer.

===