Hi.  LA Times.com just sent out 'live, non-stop Oscar coverage'
Before, During and After the event.  My favorites are previewing
the red carpet fashions BEFORE with Elizabeth Snead through
her hits and misses AFTER.  Actually, as a born and bred LA
kid with a career on the fringes of the insanity, I remain fascinated
and marvel when collective Hollywood reaches down deep and
honors something actually great.  And I'm happy to use the focus on
celebrity, as the Chicks here provide, for themselves and as intro to
the powerful accounting and analysis of country music which follows.
Sandy Carter's knowledge of Country music and Blues is about as
deep and wide, and old and new as you can get, with a writing style
to match.  It's long, but as timeless as the subject and definitely one
to save.  Maybe curl up with it During the red carpet saga.
And I'm rooting for Queen and Helen Mirren.
Ed

* Dixie Chicks Among Esteemed Outlaws
by Ashley Sayeau (Philadelphia Inquirer)

* Wild And Blue: The Politics Of Country
By Sandy Carter (Z Magazine)

==========

Dixie Chicks Among Esteemed Outlaws
by Ashley Sayeau

Philadelphia Inquirer - February 16, 2007

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/editorial/16709871.htm

On Sunday night at the 49th annual Grammy awards, the
Dixie Chicks took home five awards, including best
album, record and song of the year.

It was a long road, indeed, for the Chicks, whose
enormous fan base and ticket sales famously plummeted
in 2003 after lead singer Natalie Maines remarked on
the eve of the Iraq war that the group was "ashamed the
president of the United States is from Texas." Within
days, radio stations were refusing to play their music,
and fans were demanding refunds. Death threats were
later issued.

Throughout the ordeal, the group remained admirably
unapologetic, insisting that dissent is (or at least
should be) a vital liberty in America. They further
maintained this position in their album Taking the Long
Way (which won the Grammy for best album) and
especially in the song "Not Ready To Make Nice," in
which they directly addressed their critics: "It's too
late to make it right/ I probably wouldn't if I could/
Cause I'm mad as hell/ Can't bring myself to do what it
is/ You think I should."

Despite the group's successes, the grudge has held,
particularly among the Nashville music establishment.
The Country Music Association completely snubbed the
Chicks at its awards ceremony in May.

Such an affront on the part of country music is not
only cowardly, but also quite antithetical to the
genre's history. For, while country music today is
often equated with pickup trucks, rebel flags, and men
with mullets, it also has a brave and, dare I say,
liberal streak in its closet.

Take Johnny Cash, for instance. Not only did many of
his most famous lyrics center on "the poor and the
beaten down," including a poignant attack on this
country's treatment of American Indians, but also Cash
was a vocal critic of the Vietnam War, as in his famous
song "Man in Black": "I wear the black in mourning for
the lives that could have been/ Each week we lose a
hundred fine young men."

And then there is Willie Nelson, who on Valentine's Day
2006 released a love song about gay cowboys, titled,
"Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each
Other)." Perhaps more seriously, he has been an avid
supporter of presidential hopeful Dennis Kucinich, who,
while arguing for universal health care and a swift
withdrawal from Iraq, is probably the furthest left of
any Democratic candidate.

Women in country music - like the Dixie Chicks - have a
long tradition of being particularly bold in speaking
out against some of the very conventions their record
labels and conservative fan base celebrate. Back in
1933, the Carter Family, which consisted of A.P.
Carter; his wife, Sara Doughtery Carter; and her
cousin, the groundbreaking guitar player Maybelle
Addington Carter, sang about a young woman who chose to
commit suicide rather than marry. In Sara's sorrowful
croon, we hear her say, "I never will marry/ I'll be no
man's wife/ I expect to live single all the days of my
life." Needless to say, she later divorced A.P.

Perhaps most memorable are some of Loretta Lynn's
lyrics, particularly from the 1960s and 1970s. Released
in 1966, her song "Dear Uncle Sam" was an early anti-
Vietnam protest song. And though she once feigned
dozing off while listening to feminist advocate Betty
Friedan speak as a fellow guest on The David Frost
Show, Lynn was a pretty controversial women's advocate.
In "I Wanna Be Free," she wrote of the liberating
effect of divorce: "I'm gonna take this chain from
around my finger/ And throw it just as far as I can
sling 'er." She did the same thing for birth control in
"The Pill": "The feelin' good comes easy now/ Since
I've got the pill."

As daring as some outlaw artists have been, the country
music establishment has often proved even more dogged
in its conservative views. Lynn has purportedly had
more songs banned than any other country music singer.
And Cash, never completely at home in the country music
world, once said that "the very idea of unconventional
or even original ideas ending up on 'country' radio"
was "absurd." No wonder, then, that in his gay cowboy
song, Willie Nelson lamented that "you won't hear this
song on the radio/ Not on your local TV."

With the November election, particularly with strong
Democratic gains in Virginia and Missouri, Republican
politicians may have to rethink their long-standing
Southern strategy. Similarly, with last Sunday night's
awards, country music should embrace the fact that its
greatest assets have never been scared of controversy
or doing the right thing.

To quote the great Dolly Parton - who has sung a few
feminist, antiwar, and progressive anthems herself -
"You'll never do a whole lot unless you're brave enough
to try."

[Ashley Sayeau is a freelance writer currently living
in Buffalo, N.Y., was raised in Tennessee, and has
written on women and politics for a variety of
anthologies and publications, including The Nation,
Salon and Dissent.]

© 2007 Philadelphia Inquirer

==========

Wild And Blue: The Politics Of Country
By Sandy Carter

Z Magazine - September 1994

http://zena.secureforum.com/znet/zmag/articles/sept94carter.htm

Some of the fondest memories of my west Texas childhood
are linked to the lonesome moan of the pedal steel
guitar and the soulful honky tonk voices of Hank
Williams, Lefty Frizzell, and Ernest Tubb. In the
1950s, as I was entering grade school and gaining some
awareness of the world around me, these sounds served
up essential clues to my sense of time and place.

A few years later, however, I perceived that some
considered country music inferior to other forms of
popular music. Southern accents, nasal voices, and bad
grammar, I learned, were the most visible signs of this
inferiority. So I became self conscious about my drawl
and with some vigilance and discipline began modifying
my twang according to standards I took to be more
enlightened.

But the full arsenal of Southern stereotypes was not so
easy to escape. In my 20s, as I began living and
working in other parts of the country, I came to
realize that people outside the South, particularly
politically progressive people outside the South,
judged white Southerners and nearly all aspects of
their cultural heritage as backward. And this snobbery
often found its most candid expression in mocking and
ridiculing country music.

The elitist views that define popular prejudices about
the country tradition greeted the music at its
commercial birth. In the 1920s, when country music
first felt the pressures of commercialization, rural
traditions of all kinds were experiencing tensions and
challenges brought on by industrialization. Country
sounds suggesting older and more settled ways seemed
inherently at odds with rapid social and technological
change. The music expressed a longing for stability and
order and deep-seated fears of the temptations of the
modern world. At the same time, the music could not
help but reflect hopes of escaping the hardships
associated with traditional rural life.

Conflicted feelings also derived from the Southerness
of the music. While the music of Stephen Foster and the
writings of Mark Twain fueled romantic notions of the
South as an exotic land of enchantment, the region also
evoked images of slavery and the Civil War, the Scopes
monkey trial, and the Klan. Thus for many, country
music, regardless of its subject matter, was nothing
more than the sound of ignorance and racism. Retaining
a stubborn self-consciousness of its white, rural,
Southern, working class origins, country music today
continues to attract and repulse listeners by stirring
the same opposing images. Nonetheless, in a span of 70
years, country music has grown from regional to
national and international popularity. And presently,
the music is cresting at a commercial high-water mark
justifying marketing claims that country is now
"America's pop music."

With mass popularity, however, some of the most
distinctive qualities of country music have been
diluted. Listening to the musical styles dominating
country radio, one hears a generic McDonald's styled
product so stripped of "hayseed" connotations that it
virtually erases the line between country and various
forms of easy listening white pop and bland 1970s
styled corporate rock. While harder and more
traditional country sounds have not disappeared, the
market driven industry bias toward an urban-suburban
contemporary sound has certainly muddled the definition
and origins of the musical idioms known as country.

Like other music forms of our culture, country music is
an amalgam of influences. Its sound, song structure,
and lyrical text reveal a heavy debt to African
American musical styles, particularly blues and gospel.
Rhythmically, country draws most on the dance meters of
English and European country dance tunes. As to lyrics
and narrative style, country storytelling has roots in
Southern Protestant sermonizing, barroom banter, front
porch story swapping, and the general character of
regional oral traditions. Other distinctive
characteristics relate to the way the music is
performed. Unlike many pop performers, country singers
write much of their material bringing a subjective,
direct voice to their performance. Like blues singers,
they aim for intimacy more than technical
sophistication. In the singer's voice and story lay the
central appeal of country music.

Though country music is a vocal music above all else,
its instrumental sound is unique and immediately
identifiable. It begins with the guitar and is filled
out with fiddle, banjo, mandolin, dobro, bass, pedal
steel guitar, and harmonica. The distinctive country
sound comes from the way the musicians play these
instruments with flat picks, finger picks, bottlenecks,
and bow. In contrast to the smooth, melodic approach of
pop and classical music, country players, again showing
an African American influence, favor a rough-edged
attack with strings popped, scraped, hammered, and
frailed. Mirroring the unadorned vocal sound,
instrumental solos and fills are deliberately
"unrefined." The emphasis is on sounds that
counterpoint the social and emotional realism conveyed
by the singer and the song. Accordingly, country sounds
are harsh, rowdy, romantic, humorous, and rousing. Most
of all, they are mournful.

Did you ever see a robin weep When leaves begin to die

That means he's lost the will to live I'm so lonesome I
could cry

--Hank Williams

Historically the most dominant and unmistakable quality
of the country sound is sadness. One of the great
stereotypes plaguing country music is the cry-in-the-
beer loser drowning the pain of romantic loss in some
dark tavern. But the heartbreak in country music runs
deeper than cheating, drinking, and divorce. The sad
tale country music has to tell goes back to the
devastation the region suffered during the Civil War,
the loss of rural identity, and the great migration of
Southerners to urban centers in the Midwest and West
during the 1940s and 1950s. Understandably, country
music is homesick music, permanently colored by
feelings of longing and lost innocence.

The loss at the heart of the country song has been
expressed through two divergent impulses. When the
Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers came to Bristol,
Tennessee in August 1927 to perform before record scout
Ralph Peer and a Victor Talking Machine, they brought
with them distinct bodies of material representing
seemingly contradictory themes and values. In the
Carter Family's huge repertoire of traditional songs
resided the morally decent old-time virtues of work,
family, humility, and Christian fellowship. By
contrast, Rodgers, an ex-railroad brakeman from
Meridian, Mississippi, wrote tunes with roots in blues
and jazz, folk and cowboy songs, work gang hollers and
pop. Though Rodgers wrote his share of songs glorifying
the home and family, his work also celebrated the lives
of hell-raisers, hoboes, wayward lovers, criminals,
rounders, and ramblers.

Both approaches proved immediately popular. By 1933,
the year of his death from tuberculosis, Jimmie Rodgers
had become country's first crossover success and in the
South his status was near mythic. And by the time the
Carter Family disbanded in 1943, their music was well-
known throughout the United States, as well as parts of
Canada, Mexico, England, Ireland, and Australia. Aside
from establishing the commercial viability of country
music, the breakthroughs of Rodgers and the Carter
Family gave the shared musical culture of the white
South coherence. Though commercialization accelerated
the homogenization of sounds, by documenting the
diversity of local and regional styles it also helped
Southerners gain a fuller sense of their common
cultural heritage. The music labeled "hillbilly"
dramatized what they suffered, survived, and left
behind. It offered solace and understanding, realism
and escape. But most of all, it was music that
responded to change with a reassertion of tradition.
The Carter Family's religious tunes and sentimental
ballads and Jimmie Rodgers' chronicles of the rambling
man, in different ways, mapped the boundaries of
tradition and the dire consequences of its breakdown.

Because of this emphasis on Southerness and tradition,
country music has long been associated with all that is
reactionary. However, while country music generally
expresses a conservative outlook, the view of country
as an exclusively white, male-dominated, right-wing
tradition is unfair and one-dimensional. At no point in
its history has country music expressed a consistent
political ideology. Although performers such as W. Lee
O'Daniel, Jimmie Davis, and Roy Acuff have run for
political office and many country musicians have
endorsed candidates and aired opinions in public, the
music resists easy ideological labeling. Every hard-
headed patriotic diatribe like "Okie From Muskogee" can
be matched by songs like Waylon Jennings's
multicultural, egalitarian anthem "America" and James
Talley's ode to populist rebellion "Are They Gonna Make
Us Outlaws Again?":

Now there's always been a bottom

And there's always been a top

And someone took the orders

And someone called the shots

And someone took the beatin', Lord

And someone got the prize

Well, that may be the way its been

But that don't mean its right

More importantly, since country music has always been a
voice for small farmers, factory hands, day laborers,
the displaced and unemployed, its harsh portraits of
work and everyday life carry an implicit critique of
capitalism. Instead of overt political protest, country
songs prefer to deliver social criticism through
poignant descriptions of economic hardship and family
sacrifice. Some of the best examples of this style of
protest are Merle Haggard's "Mama's Hungry Eyes," Dolly
Parton's "Coat Of Many Colors," and Loretta Lynn's
"Coal Miner's Daughter."

As to the issue of race, country music's sentimental
attachment to Dixie is often taken as an endorsement of
white supremacy and slavery. Country music's
glorification of the South, however, derives mostly
from an idealized notion of working the land and the
real life movement of millions off the land during the
years of the Great Depression and World War II. Not
surprisingly, hundreds of country tunes plead the case
of the farmer and celebrate the beauty of Southern
landscapes. By contrast, since the birth of the country
music industry in the 1920s, very few country songs
have offered direct commentary on race relations in the
South, and certainly no popular song has advocated a
return to the slave system. This doesn't mean, of
course, that white Southerners or the country music
industry are free of racism. Rather, it suggests that
the homesickness in country music is based primarily on
the erosion of rural identity.

Still, it is obvious that "whiteness" is dominant in
country music. Despite the tradition's enormous debt to
African American music and other ethnic music cultures,
non-white performers are still exceedingly rare in
country music. When voices of color have gained
popularity in the country field, it has generally been
through songs and styles evidencing only traces of
their racial origins. Nonetheless, in recent decades
Mexican-Americans such as Johnny Rodriguez, Freddy
Fender, Tish Hinojosa, and Flaco Jiminez and African
Americans such as Charlie Pride, Stoney Edwards, and
Big Al Downing have won acceptance with country
audiences. And occasionally, there are tunes like Bobby
Braddock's "I Believe The South Is Gonna Rise Again"
that break the mold:

The Jacksons down the road were black like we were

But our skins were white and theirs was black

I believe the South's gonna rise again

But not the way we thought it would back then

Some of the strongest stereotypes attached to country
music revolve around the social and sexual roles of
women. To many people Tammy Wynette's 1968 hit "Stand
By Your Man" typifies the passive, long suffering
mentality of the unliberated country woman. In truth,
the female perspective in country music is much broader
and far more assertive than this superficial stereotype
can allow. The richest and most authoritative evidence
of this reality can be found in Mary Bufwack and Robert
Oermann's Finding Her Voice: The Saga Of Women In
Country Music(Crown Publishers Inc., New York). This
541 page narrative tracing the lives and music of
country women from the late 19th century up to the
present, shows how country music has encouraged white
working class women in their struggles to survive and
resist "economic exploitation, sexual subjugation, and
limited opportunities."

Exploring the folk origins of country music, Bufwack
and Oermann argue that women were the primary
folklorists for early rural music, memorizing the tunes
and lyrics that provided the basic entertainment for
the family and community. And in their own original
ballads, women expressed sexual fantasies and
discontents in songs loaded with images of romantic
longing, promiscuity, violence, and death. Bufwack and
Oermann also reveal more active and socially oriented
resistance in the depression era songs of Sarah
Gunning, the composer of "I Hate The Capitalist
System," and Aunt Molly Jackson, who began making up
class conscious songs and walking picket lines before
she was ten.

It was not until the 1950s, however, that women in
country music began to gain commercial equality with
men. Following Kitty Well's surprising 1952 hit "It
Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels"--a woman's
retort to Hank Thompson's "The Wild Side Of Life--women
singers such as Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Dolly
Parton, and Tammy Wynette started achieving record
sales and stardom rivaling country men. The appeal of
the modern country female star, Bufwack and Oermann
note, in many ways mirrored general trends in country
music. Country tunes of the 1950s and 1960s still
focused on subjects of work, family, and religion. But
reflecting an audience that was now struggling to come
to grips with the realities of urban life and wage
labor, the music increasingly dealt with alcoholism,
infidelity, and divorce. Reacting to these problems
from a distinctly female point of view, country women
stepped forward with songs displaying tougher
attitudes. Sad songs of betrayal prevailed, but women
now would sing also of sexual freedom and nights on the
town. And in love songs, women would voice a
straightforward demand for relationships based on fair
play and an end to double standards.

Some of the purest samples of this new toughness came
in a string of popular tunes by Loretta Lynn. With a
basic hard country sound and a writing style favoring
down-to-earth blue collar bluntness, Lynn laid down the
law to men in songs such as "Fist City" and "Don't Come
Home A-Drinking (With Loving On Your Mind)." With her
singles "The Pill" and "One's On The Way," Lynn also
became the first popular country singer to publicly
advocate for birth control. These attitudes and Lynn's
reputation for gearing her shows to women, earned her a
legion of devoted, fanatical fans, including a large
lesbian following.

Although few country music women of the 1950s and 1960s
made music as self-consciously for women as Lynn, the
emergence of country women superstars put "the woman's
perspective" on substantially more equal terms with
that of the working man. By 1984 about one-fourth of
the top country singles and albums were by women. And
today's country and pop charts are overflowing with
country women--Reba McEntire, Wynonna Judd, Mary
Chapin-Carpenter, Trisha Yearwood, Suzy Bogguss, Kathy
Mattea, Patty Loveless, Pam Tillis, and K.T. Oslin, to
mention only a few. Most significantly, the commercial
appeal of the current generation of country women seems
directly linked to a feminist oriented lyric. Lorrie
Morgan, for instance, takes clear control of her
relationships in "What Part Of No," "Watch Me," and "5
Minutes." Michelle Wright shows off a similar attitude
on "Take It Like A Man." And Martina McBride rebels
against an abusive husband on "Independence Day." As
these examples suggest (and many others could be
given), the most progressive and defiant strains of
contemporary country music are being created by women.

While the politics of country music eludes many popular
prejudices and neat categories of left and right, the
fundamental conservatism of the message cannot be
denied. Country's conservatism, however, comes not from
taking a particular stand on particular issues, but in
the way it reads and resolves conflict. Country music
may be one of the truest forms of popular music in
giving voice to the bitter realities of class and the
sorry state of male-female relations. But in offering
few avenues of escape and rebellion, country music
tends to settle struggle in favor of the powers that
be. Change in country music comes mostly from
individual hard work and sacrifice, luck, and God. The
music's vision of community is insular and backward
looking. And as a result, failure breeds feelings of
self-blame and resignation.

Nonetheless, country's stoic acceptance of things as
they are cannot be taken as an unqualified endorsement
of the status quo. The great strength of country music
has been its ability to capture white working class
life as it really is and without the projection of
false hope. Country music knows you can't always get
what you want or what you need no matter how hard you
try. In this realistic assessment of limits, the music
contradicts capitalist ideals of progress, fairness,
and happiness through consumption. Accordingly,
throughout most of its commercial history, country
music has been dismissed as something beneath and apart
from mainstream culture.

Fully aware of country music's "negatives," the
Nashville music establishment has periodically
regroomed the sound and image of the tradition with
hopes of winning respectability and crossover appeal.
In the 1950s and 1960s, it was the smooth, urbane
"Nashville Sound," in the 1970s it was the tasteless
pop country of John Denver and Olivia Newton-John, and
in the 1980s it was Urban Cowboy role playing. Although
all of these trends gave country a temporary commercial
boost, hard-core country fans and musicians reacted to
each with a purist backlash (bluegrass, the Bakersfield
sound, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings' "outlaw"
movement, neotraditionalism) that eventually brought
the market back around to traditional sounds.

In the Reagan-Bush-Clinton era, country music has
slowly ascended again to mainstream popularity with
sounds and images revealing few traces of country's
old-time rough edges. This time around country's new
audience seems to come from aging white boomers and
younger middle-income suburbanites who've tired of
classic rock and can't tolerate aggressive youth sounds
(metal, hip-hop, alternative rock) or easy listening
pop. For these listeners, country supplies a guitar
based rock influenced sound, adult subject matter, and
yearning for a more simple and decent way of life.

Unfortunately in meeting this demand, the music
industry has again resorted to formula: muscles in big
hats, starched boot cut Wranglers, choreographed sexy
moves, and pale, twang-free impersonations of
heartbreak. But at the borders of country, in the
progressive new voice of women, left-of-center
hillbilly folk (Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Tom Russell, and
Iris Dement), country rock (Rodney Crowell and Travis
Tritt), traditional bluegrass (the Johnson Mountain
Boys), and tradition conscious hard country (Dwight
Yoakam and Marty Brown), you can still hear the raw
emotions and wild and blue themes of a truly populist
art form. The "old" story country music has to tell is
too real and too rooted to be forgotten.

[Sandy Carter was born in Gulfport, Mississippi and
grew up in Amarillo, Texas. While attending the
University Of Texas at Austin, he became active in the
late 60s anti-war, student, and civil rights movements.
During the last three decades he has been active in
organizing around workplace, community, and mental
health issues. Since the early 80s, he has been living
in the Bay Area. His writing on music, politics, and
popular culture has appeared in the Bay Guardian and
The San Francisco Chronicle. "Slippin' & Slidin," his
column on music and popular culture, appears monthly in
Z Magazine. He currently works as a high school
counselor in Novato, California.]

interpret the world and to change it.

Submit via email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Submit via the Web: portside.org/submit