NYC- November 1, 2010 - On this chilly morning of the day before
midterm elections, the supporters of the
<http://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1670baf92c30b723c6afaf433e6b5ca2?pa=2122144987>New

York Coalition to Expand Voting Rights, a group working to change New
York City law to give all documented residents the right to vote in
municipal elections, gathered in front of the Board of Elections on
Broadway in lower Manhattan.

Holding signs that read "1.3 million taxpaying New Yorkers are denied
the right to vote in city elections," and "All residents could vote
for 150 years of US history," they came to draw public attention to
the fact that, as one young woman holding a sign shared with the
crowd, "one out of every five New Yorkers has no voice in the
decision-making process that affects their daily lives."

Chair of the City Council Immigration Committee, Daniel Dromm (D-25),
a strong supporter of the campaign, came to share the news that the
legislation for this issue is ready to be introduced. Dromm will be
the main sponsor of the bill as it makes its way through the
Council's legislative process. Says Dromm, "It is time for our
evolving democracy to embrace voting rights in local elections for
all residents. We are all stakeholders in our community and should
have a say in important local issues. In the words of the
Revolutionary patriots who put their lives on the line for the
freedoms we enjoy today, 'No taxation without representation."

"When only half of the people in some neighborhoods are allowed to
make decisions for the entire community, our democratic process is in
crisis," explains coalition member Irma Rodriguez, Executive Director
of Queens Community House, a community-based nonprofit organization
that serves 30,000 Queens residents each year, many of whom are
immigrants and first generation Americans. "I_mmigrants pay more than
$18.2 billion dollars a year in New York State income taxes. They are
not only daily users of public transportation, schools, and
hospitals, they provide a significant portion of the funding for
those institutions._"

"Join with us," urged coalition member George Onuorah. "Speak with
your City Council members and encourage them to support this
legislation." David Andersson with the Humanist Party and coordinator
of the Coalition concluded by saying "tomorrow, 1.3 million New
Yorkers will be voiceless during this election but legal residents
will be able to vote soon in local election. Continue the fight
against discrimination."