http://nsarchive.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/show-me-the-missing-documents-years-after-crucial-documents-were-released-by-president-clinton-they-disappear-from-a-public-special-collection/

 Show Me the Missing Documents! Why are US Documents about the Murder of
Jesuit Priests Disappearing?
November 17, 2010
 tags: El Salvador <http://en.wordpress.com/tag/el-salvador/>, National
Archives and Records
Administration<http://en.wordpress.com/tag/national-archives-and-records-administration/>,
National Security
Archive<http://en.wordpress.com/tag/national-security-archive/>,
Defense Intelligence
Agency<http://en.wordpress.com/tag/defense-intelligence-agency/>,
Central Intelligence
Agency<http://en.wordpress.com/tag/central-intelligence-agency/>,
United States <http://en.wordpress.com/tag/united-states/>, San
Salvador<http://en.wordpress.com/tag/san-salvador/>,
Central America <http://en.wordpress.com/tag/central-america/>, Library of
Congress <http://en.wordpress.com/tag/library-of-congress/>, Jesuit
Priest<http://en.wordpress.com/tag/jesuit-priest/>
by Emily Willard

Twenty-one years after the murder of six Jesuit priests, their house keeper
and her daughter in El Salvador [*November 16, 2009
posting*<http://nsarchive.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/right-to-justice-in-el-salvador/>],
related documents released in a public collection by President Clinton in
1993 have been re-classified—and even disappeared.

Two years ago, members of the human rights community filed a criminal case
in the Spanish National Court against the 14 former Salvadoran military
officers allegedly involved in the massacre. As a part of the evidence
introduced to the court, the National Security Archive provided copies of
declassified U.S. government documents and expert assistance in interpreting
the documents.
<http://nsarchive.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/pages-from-letter-to-pres-clinton-asking-for-release-of-documents.jpg>

The 1993 Congressional Request for President Clinton to release the
documents.

In effort to help Stanford Professor Terry Karl and National Security
Archive Analyst Kate Doyle to provide expert witness testimony on the
documents related to the massacre, Archive staff decided to revisit the
original collection of the El Salvador Human Rights documents released by
the U.S. The documents were released by President Clinton in November of
1993 and August of 1994 *upon congressional
request*<http://nsarchive.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/letter-to-pres-clinton-asking-for-release-of-documents.pdf>,
following the March 15, 1993 release of the United Nation’s Truth Commission
Investigation, *From Madness to Hope: The 12-Year War in El
Salvador<http://www.usip.org/files/file/ElSalvador-Report.pdf>.
*The special collection includes documents from various U.S. government
agencies including the Department of State (DOS), the Department of Defense
(DOD), the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the Defense Intelligence
Agency (DIA), and the U.S. Army*.* Many of these documents were included the
National Security Archive collection, *El Salvador: War, Peace, and Human
Rights,
1980-1994*<http://nsarchive.chadwyck.com/collections/content/EL/intro.jsp>
*. *

*The Search Begins*

In September 2009, my colleague visited the *National Archives and Records
Administration* <http://www.archives.gov/index.html> (NARA) to do a
preliminary review of the documents in the El Salvador human rights
collection. I completed a follow-up visit where I more closely reviewed the
documents and found that the collection included only the State Department
documents from the collection, with the exception of a few folders labeled
“Non-State.” The majority of the papers in the “Non-State” folder were
actually “withdraw sheets.” (When a document is re-classified, it is removed
from the file and replaced with a “withdraw” sheet which provides a small
amount of identifying information, a tracking number and the date the
document was re-classified). I worked with several archivists in the NARA
reading room, and we were unable to locate the rest of the “Non-State”
documents in the collection. The collection was supposed to include at least
939 CIA records, and 916 Department of Defense records. These were obviously
missing.

I consulted with National Security Archive Analyst Kate Doyle about the
possible location of the remaining documents in the collection. She recalled
an obscure collection of El Salvador documents in the *Hispanic Reading Room
* <http://www.loc.gov/rr/hispanic/> of the *Library of
Congress*<http://www.loc.gov/index.html>.
Upon visiting the Library of Congress and after receiving assistance from a
very helpful staff member, I was able to find many of the missing Non-State
documents, including several binders of a thousand or so pages of CIA and
DIA documents. The collection at the Library of Congress had a finding aid
that included reference to many other “Non-State” documents, including some
from the National Security Agency (NSA), the Office of the Secretary of
Defense, and the United States Southern Command (Army). These three sets,
however, were not physically present in the Library of Congress. I asked the
Hispanic Reading Room staff member and he said that they were not on the
shelf, and they must have been lost. *Lost?*

*Where could they be?*

We decided to request all of the missing documents by filing various
Mandatory Declassification Review (MDR) requests because we had the withdraw
sheets from NARA, and the finding aid table of contents which listed the
missing documents at the Library of Congress.

*This is where things get strange…*
<http://nsarchive.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/pages-from-el-salvador-part-ii-1-oasd-missing-doc-list-sample.jpg>

There's a paper trail...But no documents.

On March 17, 2010, I returned to NARA to make copies of all of the withdraw
sheets in the “Records relating to the United Nations Truth Commission
compiled 1980 – 1993*”* collection*, one of the two which I had previously
reviewed in October 2009, and my colleague had previously reviewed in
September 2009. *I placed a request to see these documents, however my
request was denied, saying that the documents were restricted. I explained
to one of the archivists at NARA that I had seen these exact documents back
in October, only a few months before. He looked in the system and said that
there was no record of my pull slip for the documents (proof that I
requested and received them in October), and that I had never seen them.

I then produced a photograph I had taken of one of the “restricted” boxes
back in October, again explained that yes, I did in fact see the documents,
and that I needed to see them again. After nearly an hour of “looking into
it,” he came back with his supervisor and explained that it was a mistake,
that I should have not seen the documents, they are restricted and that they
would have to be re-reviewed before I could see them. He claimed that NARA
must have “accidentally misplaced my pull slip”.  Unfortunately I did not
have physical proof (such as a photograph or copy of a pull slip) of my
colleague seeing the documents in September 2009. As all U.S. archival
researchers know, it’s highly unlikely that *both* my colleague and I were
accidentally given restricted documents.

When I was able to finally review the boxes several weeks later, there had
been nearly 100 documents removed and replaced with more withdraw sheets.

*A “Catch 22?”*

The MDR requests I filed for the missing documents which could identify are
slowly being processed by the agencies. In one strange occurrence, the
Office of the Secretary of Defense responded that I should send an MDR
request to the Library of Congress which does not even have the legal
authority to declassify documents. Sometimes I cannot help but feel that the
agencies who created these documents are trying to entrap me into a “Catch
22,” so they can skirt their legal obligation to make these documents
available to the public.

So let’s quickly review: President Clinton released a special collection of
documents in 1993 and 1994. As Doyle explained in her previous post, the
extraordinary collection of documents, already heavily censored, goes
through a *re-classification *process in 1999, reclassifying and making
secret hundreds of pages which were once open to the public. Then, at some
point since 1994, the collection was split up; the DOS documents are housed
at NARA, while the CIA, DIA, and other documents  are floating in an
obscure, unpublicized, nearly unknown-about collection in the Library of
Congress. And the Library of Congress collection is missing hundreds of
documents from various agencies. As if that weren’t enough, part of the
collection at NARA underwent yet *another *reclassification process in March
of 2010.

So why are documents that were *released by the president of the United
States with pressure from the U.S. Congress in response to a United Nations
truth commission* missing? Do the CIA, DIA, and U.S. military have something
to hide about the massacre of Jesuit priests, a woman, and a child?