ACLU Public Forum

The New Jim Crow: Next Steps

How We Can Fight the Mass Incarceration of Black and Brown Men

Tuesday - May 10  - 7 p.m.

Neighborhood Church,

301 N. Orange Grove Blvd, Pasadena

Panel Discussion with Questions & Answers

    * Pasadena Police Chief Phillip Sanchez
    * ACLU-SC President and Public Defender Shelan Joseph, and
    * Judge (Ret.) James P. Gray.

Following up on last month's standing-room-only presentation at the
Pasadena Main Library by author Michelle Alexander on the
disproportionate targeting of black and brown men for incarceration, the
ACLU of Southern California Pasadena/Foothills Chapter will present a
public forum to explore root causes for this long-term injustice,
investigate how these problems play out in our local communities,and
discuss ways we can fight for change.

(Alexander can be viewed online at :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgM5NAq6cGI&feature=fvwrel
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgM5NAq6cGI&feature=fvwrel>    and
http://youtu.be/WX6G0ICwJ1Q <http://youtu.be/WX6G0ICwJ1Q>   )

In her ground-breaking book, "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in
the Age of  Colorblindness," law professor Alexander observed that "more
African American men are in prison or jail, on probation or parole than
were enslaved in 1850, before the Civil War began," and laid much of the
blame on the failed War on Drugs waged principally in communities of
color over the past four decades.

Judge Gray has urged an end to the war on drugs as unwinnable and
corrupting, arguing that the risks to an individual drug user are
dwarfed by the harm caused to the community by overaggressive policing
and the criminal economy. He will speak about the need to end the war on
drugs. Panelist Shelan Joseph will discuss how the New Jim Crow plays
out with juveniles in our area and new Pasadena Police Chief Phillip
Sanchez will provide a law enforcement perspective.

We anticipate a lively discussion. The event is free and open to the
public.

For ACLU-SC Pasadena/Foothill's May newsletter, see
http://www.aclu-sc.org/pasadena <http://www.aclu-sc.org/pasadena> .

For two discussions of Michelle Alexander's recent Pasadena appearance,
see here
<http://www.laprogressive.com/law-and-the-justice-system/black-men-priso\
n-system/>   and here
<http://www.laprogressive.com/law-and-the-justice-system/boiling-hot-mad\