http://quotha.net/node/1822
Law Professors on Crack, "Civilian Control over the Military" & more NED
Tue, 06/07/2011 - 09:59 — AP

>From the LA Times yesterday, Fixing Honduras: The crisis that led to
President Manuel Zelaya's ouster underscores the importance of strengthening
constitutional controls over both the military and the executive. Three law
professor "experts" (including an author of the Iraqi constitution—great
creds) tell Hondurans what to do, since the past two years have been pure
tranquility in that country since the "crisis" of June 2009:

The relative calm of the last two years in Honduras has brought with it the
opportunity to engage in unpressured analysis of these issues. Reform is
needed now because it would not be possible to make it happen under the
pressures of a crisis. Honduras should seize the moment to make improvements
that can help keep democracy safe in moments of crisis.

Their analysis rest on claims so unequivocally conterfactual it's difficult
to know where to begin. What's of particular interest to me, however, is the
singular focus with which agents of the USG like the Truth Commission [after
all, as former CIA agent and John Kerry aide Fulton Armstrong said to me in
a meeting last year where he also complained that he'd already done too much
for that "shit-ass little country" Honduras before badmouthing me all over
the Hill, "I got Eddy [Stein] a million bucks and said 'Make this thing
work!'"]—and their hired lackeys like these ones—parrot the empty argument
for civilian control over the armed forces, as if:

   1. in Honduras there were citizen control over any part of the government
   in the "democratic" sense implied, that would make this anything more than
   lip service;
   2. there were a single reason to maintain a military in Honduras, other
   than to suppress free speech and opposition to neoliberal policies by
   harassing, shooting at, teargassing, disappearing, torturing and carrying
   out targeted assassinations of nurses, teachers, students, *indigenas*, *
   campesinos* and other Resistance members;
   3. we had civilian control over the military in the United States! I
   don't even have bloody representation here in the colony of DC, let alone
   any say whatsoever in the fact that 86% of federal resources is
   controlled by the
DoD<http://washingtontechnology.com/Blogs/Inside-DOD/List/Blog-List.aspx?Page=5>.
   When the valiant NED starts demanding civilian control over the military
   here, maybe I'll start taking it seriously there.

What's worrisome about this discourse is how hard the USG in all its forms
is pushing it. State has been harping on it since before the NED-financed
and run 2009 elections (orchestrated in collaboration with State's Craig
Kelly et al), as is made clear in Wikileaks cables, and the NED has been
pushing the hell out of the issue, as I mentioned earlier re: Julio Rank
Wright's obsession with the topic <http://quotha.net/node/1793>. I also
mentioned earlier CEDOH's conference in March <http://quotha.net/node/1618>,
funded by the NED, on the same topic. There's another CEDOH conference
tomorrow (see flyer at bottom of this email). Here is the vague explanation
CEDOH gives for its NED-funded program, in which—like Noah Feldman, David
Landau, Brian Sheppard and the Stein Truth Commission—it refuses to state a
coup actually took place:

Strengthening of Civilian Control over the Armed Forces and the Defense
Sector in Honduras <http://www.cedoh.org/proyectos/FFAA/FFAA.html>

In the aftermath of the events of June 2009, many leaders of civil society
have demanded more debate on the topic of the role of military personnel and
the Defense sector in Honduras, and about the reforms necessary for
strengthening democracy within a State of Law in the country. Responding to
those demands, CEDOH will use the support of the National Endowment for
Democracy (NED by its English initials) until September 2011 to lead the
effort with the aim of analyzing how civil society can play a more important
role in efforts to ensure civilian control over members of the military.
CEDOH will carry out a series of events directed at providing national and
international context about the role of military members in the crisis of
June, 2009. Based on the results of these meetings, CEDOH will prepare a
book that will become a significant source for needed reforms in the Defense
sector while Honduras and its citizens seek to reconstruct their democratic
institutions.

   - Objective: Strengthen the capacity of civil society to promote a
   pluralistic and participatory dialogue about the Defense sector and
   formulate proposals for effective reform.