Moscow, Paris argue on arms  deliveries to Libya

_English.news.cn_ (http://english.news.cn/)    2011-07-01 21:46:59
(mailto:engl...@xinhuanet.com)
(http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-07/01/c_13961382.htm#)
_http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-07/01/c_13961382.htm_
(http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-07/01/c_13961382.htm)
MOSCOW, July 1 (Xinhua) -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei  Lavrov held
talks with his visiting French counterpart Alain Juppe here on  Friday, but the
two argued on France's arms deliveries to Libya.
After their talks, Lavrov told reporters that France's supply of  weapons
to the Libyan opposition was "an unpleasant situation." Juppe said the  move
was for "self-defense" in line with the U.N. resolution concerning  Libya.
Lavrov said that France's interpretation of the U.N. Security  Council
resolutions presented at their meeting "allows anyone to do anything for  any
reason."
"I think that we and Paris and other permanent and non-permanent  members
of the Security Council should expect to receive documents that are  clear,"
Lavrov said. "As we had warned in advance, now we have these very
unpleasant situations when things can be interpreted in any number of ways."
In turn, Juppe insisted Paris' move was not a violation of the  Security
Council resolutions, but a protection of civilians from Libyan leader  Muammar
Gaddafi.
"Civilians had been attacked by Gaddafi's forces and were in an  extremely
vulnerable situation and that is why medicine, food and also weapons  of
self-defense were parachuted," Juppe said. "We informed our partners in NATO
and the Security Council about these deliveries."
News of France's weapons deliveries to the Libyan rebels emerged  in a
report by Le Figaro newspaper on Wednesday. The report said the weapons
included anti-tank rockets and light arms.
Russia has been critical of NATO-led military operations in  Libya, saying
airstrikes go beyond the Security Council resolution which  mandated a
no-fly zone over the North African country.
_Special Report: Foreign Military  Intervention in Libya_
(http://www.xinhuanet.com/english2010/special/libya/index.htm)
==
Peace NO War Network  (http://www.peacenowar.net/)
_http://www.PeaceNOWar.net_ (http://www.peacenowar.net/)
War is not the answer, for only love can conquer  hate
Not in our Name! And another world is possible!

Information for antiwar movements, news across the  World, please visit:_
http://www.PeaceNoWar.net_ (http://www.peacenowar.net/)
e-mail: _Info@PeaceNoWar.net_ (mailto:pe...@actionla.org)
Tel:  (213)403-0131

Please Join PeaceNoWar Listserv, send e-mail to:
_peacenowar-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:peacenowar-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)

Please Donate to Peace No War Network!
Send check  pay to: