Argentina to Wall Street: Latin American Social Movements and the Occupation of
Everything

Written by Benjamin Dangl
Tuesday, 11 October 2011 21:32
Assembly at Occupy Wall St. Photo: Flickr/MatMcDermottMassive buildings tower
over Wall Street, making the sidewalks feel   like
valleys in an urban mountain range. The incense, drum beats and   chants of
Occupy Wall Street echo down New York City’s financial   district  from Liberty
Plaza, where thousands of activists have converged   to   protest economic
injustice and fight for a better world.
As unemployment and poverty in the US reaches record levels, the
protest  is catching on, with hundreds of parallel occupations sprouting up
across the country. It was a similar disparity in economic and   political
power that led people to the streets in the Arab Spring,
and     in Wisconsin, Greece, Spain and London. Occupy Wall Street is
part of     this global revolt. This new movement in the US also shares
much in     common with uprisings in another part of the world: Latin
America.
This report from Liberty  Plaza connects tactics and philosophies
surrounding the Occupy Wall Street movement with similar movements in    Latin
America, from the popular assemblies and occupation of factories during
Argentina’s economic crisis in 2001-2002, to grassroots
struggles   for land in Brazil.

Latin America: Economic Crisis and Grassroots Responses
Almost overnight in late 2001, Argentina went from having one of the
strongest economies in South America to one of the weakest. During this
economic crash, the financial system collapsed like a house of cards and  banks
shut their doors. Faced with such immediate economic
strife    and  unemployment, many Argentines banded together to create a new
society  out of the wreckage of the old. Poverty, homelessness,
and    unemployment  were countered with barter systems, factory
occupations,    communally-run  kitchens, and alternative currency.
Neighborhood    assemblies provided  solidarity, support and vital
spaces for discussion    in communities  across the country. Ongoing
protests kicked out five    presidents in two  weeks, and the movements
that emerged from this    period transformed the  social and political
fabric of Argentina.
These activities reflect those taking place at Occupy Wall Street and   in
other actions around the US right now. Such events in Argentina and    the US
are marked by dissatisfaction with the political and economic   system in the
face of crisis, and involve people working together for solutions on a
grassroots level. For many people in Argentina and
the     US, desperation pushed them toward taking matters into their own hands.
“We didn’t have any choice,” Manuel Rojas explained to me about the
occupation of the ceramics factory he worked at outside the city of
Mendoza,  Argentina during the country’s crash. “If we didn’t take over  the
factory we would all be in the streets. The need to work pushed  us    to
action.” This was one of hundreds of businesses that were
taken   over   by workers facing unemployment during the Argentine
crisis.  After    occupying these factories and businesses, many workers then
ran  them  as   cooperatives. They did so under the slogan,
“Occupy, Resist,   Produce,” a   phrase borrowed from Brazil’s Landless
Workers Movement   (MST), which   has settled hundreds of thousands of
families on  millions  of acres of   land through direct action.
In 2008 in Chicago, when hundreds of workers were laid off from the
Republic Windows and Doors factory, they embraced similar direct action
tactics used by their Argentine counterparts; they occupied the
factory   to demand the severance and vacation pay owed to them – and it
worked.   Mark Meinster, the international representative for United
Electrical   Workers, the union of the Republic workers, told me that  the
strategies   applied by the workers specifically drew from
Argentina. In deciding  on  labor tactics, “We drew on the Argentine
factory occupations to the   extent that they show that during an
economic crisis, workers’  movements  are afforded a wider array of
tactical options,” Meinster  said.
Many groups and movements based in the US have drawn from activists   in
the  South. Besides the 2008 occupation of the Republic Windows and
Doors  factory in Chicago, movements for access to water in Detroit and
Atlanta reflected strategies and struggles in Cochabamba, Bolivia,
where    in 2000, popular protests rejected the multinational company
Bechtel’s   water privatization plan and put the water back into public  hands.
The   Take Back the Land movement in Florida, which organized   homeless
people  to occupy a vacant lot and pairs homeless families
with  foreclosed  homes, mirrors the tactics and philosophy of the
landless  movement in  Brazil. Participatory budgeting in Brazil, which
provides  citizens with  direct input on how city budgets are
distributed, is now  being  implemented by communities across the US.
These are just a handful of movements and grassroots initiatives that
provide helpful models (in both their victories and failures) for
decentralizing political and economic power, and putting decision making into
the hands of the people. In the face of corrupt banks,
corporate    greed and inept politicians, those occupying Wall Street
and other    spaces around the US have a lot on common with similar
movements in    Latin America. Besides sharing the same enemies within
global banks,    international lending institutions and multinational
corporations, these    movements have worked to make revolution a part
of everyday life. And    that is one of the most striking aspects of
about what’s happening  with   the Occupy Wall   Street movement right
now.
Occupying Wall Street
The organization and activities filling Liberty  Plaza in New   York
are   part of a working community where everyone is taking care of each  other
and making decisions collectively. During a recent visit, a    kitchen area in
the center of the park was full of people preparing
food     for dinner with donated cooking supplies. Other spaces were
designated   for medical support, massage therapy, sign-making and
meditation. One   area was for the organization of recycling and
garbage; people  regularly  walked around the park sweeping up debris
and collecting  garbage.
A massive People's Library contained hundreds of books along the side
of  the   park.  As with the cooking, sign-making and medical supplies,
the    movement  had received donated materials and support to keep
these    operations  thriving. Occupy Wall Street also has its own
newspaper, the Occupy Wall Street Journal,  copies of which
were being handed  out in   English and Spanish editions  on nearly
every corner of the  park. A media   center where various  people sat
around computers and  cameras provided   ongoing coverage of  the
occupation.
Within this community were pockets of areas with blue tarps and   blankets
where people were resting and sleeping, having meetings or   simply
holding home made signs on display. Singing, drumming, chanting,
guitar and accordion playing were also going on in a wide array of
places.
Ongoing meetings and assemblies, with hundreds to thousands of
participants,   dealt with issues ranging from how to organize space in  the
park and   manage donated supplies, to discussions of march plans
and   demands.   Police outlawed the use of megaphones, so people at the park
have  just  been relaying what others say during these
assemblies by    repeating it  through the layers of the crowd, creating an
echo so    everyone can  hear what is said.
At the Comfort Station, where well-organized piles of clothes,
blankets,  pillows and coats were stacked, I spoke with Antonio Comfort, from
New Jersey, who was working the station at the time. Antonio,  who   had  his
hat on backwards and spoke with me in between helping
out  other    people, said that the donations of clothes and sleeping
materials had    been pouring in. People had also offered up their
showers for activists    participating in the occupation to use. While I was at
the station    someone asked for sleeping supplies for an older man, and
Antonio    disappeared into the Comfort Station piles and
returned with an armful    of blankets and a pillow.
“I’m here so I can have a better life, and so my kids can have a   better  life
when they get older,” he said about his reasons for
participating   in the occupation. Everything at the station had been
running   smoothly, Antonio explained. “Everybody works together, and
it’s   very   organized. We’ll be here as long as it takes.”
Adeline Benker, a 17-year-old student at Marlboro  College in Vermont   who
was  holding a sign that said, “Got Debt? You are the 99%,” told me
that  for her – like many other young students participating in the
occupation in New   York and elsewhere – it was all about debt. “I will  be
$100,000 in debt after I graduate from college, and I don’t think I     should
have the pay that for the rest of my life just to get an   education in four
years.” Benker said this was her very first
protest,     and her first time in New   York City. When I spoke to her, she
had   been   at the occupation for a few days, and would be
returning the   following   week.
Down the sidewalk was activist Tirsa Costinianos with a sign that   said,  “We
Are the 99%”. Costinianos said, “I want the big banks and the
corporations to return our tax money from the bailout.” Costinianos had  been
at the occupation on Wall Street every weekend since it started on  September
17th. “I love this and I’m glad we’re doing this. All
of    the  99% of the people should join us – then we could stop the
stealing   and  the corruption going on here on Wall Street.”
Ibraheem Awadallah, another protester holding a sign that said “Wall   Street
Occupies Our Government: Occupy Wall Street”, told me, “The   problem
is   this system in which the corporations have the biggest   influence
in   politics in our country.”
These types of encounters and activities were happening constantly in   the
ongoing bustle of the park, and underscore the fact that this
occupation, now nearly into its third week, is as much of a community    and
example of participatory democracy as it is a rapidly spreading    protest.
As the late historian Howard Zinn said, it is important to “organize
ourselves in such a way that means correspond to the ends, and to
organize ourselves in such a way as to create the kind of human
relationship that should exist in future society.” That is being
developed now within this movement, from the leaderless, consensus-based
assemblies, to the communal organization of the various food, media and
medical services organized at the occupation.
Similarly, movements across Latin America, from farmer unions in the
Paraguayan   countryside to neighborhood councils in El   Alto, Bolivia, mirror
 the  type of society they would like to see in their everyday actions  and
movement-building.
As Adeline Benker, the 17-year-old student at the Wall Street
occupation  said, echoing the struggles from Argentina to the Andes and
beyond,  “We need to create a change outside of this system because
the   system  is failing us.”
Benjamin Dangl’s new book Dancing with Dynamite: Social Movements and States in
Latin America (AK Press) is on contemporary Latin American social movements and
their relationships with the region’s new leftist governments. He is
editor of TowardFreedom.com, a progressive perspective on   world
events, and UpsideDownWorld.org, a website on activism and   politics in Latin
America. Email BenDangl(at)gmail(dot)com.
http://upsidedownworld.org/main/international-archives-60/3254-argentina-to-wall-street-latin-american-social-movements-and-the-occupation-of-everything