---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mazin Qumsiyeh <ma...@qumsiyeh.org>
Date: Tue,
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Mazin Qumsiyeh <ma...@qumsiyeh.org> wrote:

the bus is still at the Hizmeh checkpoint.  all 6 riders and  soldiers are
still on the bus.  they have not been taken to any police  station at this
time.

>On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Mazin Qumsiyeh <ma...@qumsiyeh.org> wrote:
>
>the occupation forces tried to forcibly remove  freedomriders but was not able
>to. IOF are on the bus, they closed the bus  door and taking the bus with only
>the freedomriders and soldiers on board  toa location nearby the checkpoint
>>

>>On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Mazin Qumsiyeh <ma...@qumsiyeh.org> wrote:
>>
>>all 6 riders's id have been taken but are still  on the bus.  but the bus is
>>turn off and the bus driver has left the  bus
>>>the border police forces are staging around the bus and  prepare to arrest
>>>riders
>>>

>>>On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Mazin Qumsiyeh <ma...@qumsiyeh.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>there are 6 riders including mazin (he is probably the  oldest on the bus)

                      freedom riders succedded in going to Al  [Jerusalem]?

                      Qumsiyeh a écrit :

> [...]
                      settler buses passed by and did not stop when they saw
the
                      freedom riders.  Now the army jeeps have
                      arrived.

Palestinian Freedom Riders to ride settler buses to Jerusalem
Posted on: November 13, 2011 |
13 November 2011 | Freedom Riders
Inspired by the Freedom Rides of the US Civil Rights Movement Palestinian
activists will attempt to board segregated Israeli settler
buses to occupied East Jerusalem
Groups of Palestinian Freedom Riders will attempt to board segregated settler
buses heading to Jerusalem through the occupied West Bank this Tuesday
November 15, in an act of civil disobedience that takes its inspiration
from the US Civil Rights Movement Freedom Riders aim to challenge
Israel’s apartheid policies, the ban on Palestinians’ access to
Jerusalem, and the overall segregated reality created by a military and
settler occupation that is the cornerstone of Israel’s colonial regime.
While parallels exist between occupied Palestine and the segregated U.S. South
in terms of the underlying racism and the humiliating treatment
suffered then by blacks and now by Palestinians, there are also
significant differences. In the 1960s U.S. South, black people had to
sit in the back of the bus; in occupied Palestine, Palestinians are not
even allowed ON the bus nor on the roads that the buses travel on, which are
built on stolen Palestinian land.
In undertaking this action Palestinians do not seek the desegregation of
settler buses, as the presence of these colonizers and the
infrastructure that serves them is illegal and must be dismantled. As
part of their struggle for freedom, justice and dignity, Palestinians
demand the ability to be able to travel freely on their own roads, on
their own land, including the right to travel to Jerusalem.
Palestinian activists also aim to expose two of the companies that
profit from Israel’s apartheid policies and encourage global boycott of
and divestment from them. The Israeli Egged and French Veolia bus
companies operate dozens of segregated lines that run through the
occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, many of them subsidized by the
state. Both companies are also involved in the Jerusalem Light
Rail, a train project that links illegal settlements in East Jerusalem
to the western part of the city. By facilitating population transfer
into occupied Palestinian territory, Egged and Veolia are actively and
knowingly complicit in Israel’s settlement enterprise, which the
International Court of Justice has determined to be a breach of
international law, and particularly Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva
Convention prohibiting an occupying power from transferring part of its
population into occupied territory.
This Tuesday, Palestinian Freedom Riders will head to Jewish-only bus stops in
the West Bank and attempt to board the settler buses.
Palestinians understand that this act of nonviolent disobedience may
result in violent attacks and even death at the hands of Israeli
settlers that are to Israel what the Klu Klux Klan was to the Jim Crow
South, or the authorities that protect them. Nonetheless, the Freedom
Riders believe that this act of civil resistance is necessary to draw
the attention of the world to the immorality of Israel’s occupation and
apartheid system as well as to compel justice-loving people to take a
stand and divest from Egged, Veolia, and all companies that enable and
profit from it.
The Freedom Riders will be joined by activists from all around the
world who will stage activities in their cities that highlight the
systematic oppression of Palestinians and the need to divest from Egged
and Veolia.
For inquiries send an email to palestinianfreedomrid...@gmail.com
###
Background
The buses that the Freedom Riders will be boarding are operated by
the Egged, the largest Israeli public transportation company, and by the French
transnational company Veolia. Both companies are complicit in
Israel’s violations of international law due to their involvement in and
profiting from Israeli’s illegal settlement infrastructure. Palestinian Freedom
Riders endorse the call for boycotting both companies, as well
as all others involved in Israel’s violations of human rights and
international law.[1]
In July 2011, an Egged subsidiary won a public tender to run bus
services in the Waterland region of the Netherlands, north of Amsterdam. The
company makes money from trampling on the rights of Palestinians
and has been a target of the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS)
campaign, which is endorsed by an overwhelming majority of Palestinian
civil society. The Freedom Riders call on the people of the Netherlands
to sever all dealings with companies, like Egged, involved in human
rights violations.
Veolia, has been a target of an international divestment campaign or
running bus lines through the West Bank connecting settlements to
Jerusalem and for its involvement in the Jerusalem Light Rail which
connects Israel’s illegal settlements in and around occupied East
Jerusalem to the western part of the city, thereby directly servicing
the settlement enterprise.[2]
Over 42 percent of Palestinian land in the West Bank has been taken
over for the building of Jewish settlements and their associated regime[3]
(including the wall which was declared illegal by the International
Court of Justice in 2004), depriving local communities of access to
their water resources as well as agricultural lands. Settling Israelis
in the occupied Palestinian territory constitutes a war crime according
to the Fourth Geneva Convention[4] and the Rome Statute of the International
Criminal Court.[5]
The occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip constitute only 22 percent of
the Palestinian homeland from which over 750,000 Palestinians were
ethnically cleansed in 1948 when the state of Israel was created. Since
then, Palestinian refugees have been languishing in refugee camps and
other places of exile, denied the right to return to their homes.
________________________________

[1] Palestinian Civil Society Call for BDS, available at:
http://www.bdsmovement.net/call.
[2] http://www.bigcampaign.org/veolia/
[3] B’tselem Report: “By Hook and By Crook, Israeli Settlement Policy in the
West Bank,” July 2010; summary available at:
http://www.btselem.org/publications/summaries/201007_by_hook_and_by_crook.
[4] See “Israel’s settlement policy is a war crime under the Fourth Geneva
Convention,” The Palestinian Center for Human Rights, Gaza, highlighting the
relevant articles of the Fourth Geneva Convention to support the
determination that settlements are a war crime, at
http://www.pchrgaza.org/Intifada/Settlements.conv.htm; see also “Demolitions,
new settlements in East Jerusalem could amount
to war crimes – UN expert,” UN News Centre, June 29, 2010, at
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=35175&Cr=Palestin&Cr1.
[5] Article 8(2)(b)(viii) of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal
Court prohibits “[t]he transfer, directly or indirectly, by the
Occupying Power of parts of its own civilian population into the
territory it occupies.”
http://palsolidarity.org/2011/11/palestinian-freedom-riders-to-ride-settler-buses-to-jerusalem/