*There is one specific project that we want to use the money from this
appeal for: to help the Bloque Popular Juvenil comrades in El Salvador
acquire their own printing facilities. The comrades have already raised USD
1000 and have pledged to raise a similar amount in the next few months. We
aim to at least match what they collect.*
**
*Please click on the url to donate-see at end of article:*
**
The IMT <http://www.marxist.com/the-imt/> » Financial
Appeals<http://www.marxist.com/financial-appeals/>
**
**
http://www.marxist.com/red-new-year-2012.htm

 Red New Year 2012! <http://www.marxist.com/red-new-year-2012.htm>
Written by In Defence of Marxism Friday, 16 December 2011
[image: Print] <http://www.marxist.com/red-new-year-2012/print.htm#>

*The year 2011 is coming to an end, and what a year this was! It started
with the eruption of the Arab masses onto the scene through mass
revolutionary action. We would like to wish all our readers and supporters
a red new year 2012, full of fruitful revolutionary struggle, while at the
same time we appeal for a donation towards the continuation of our work.*

January saw the toppling of the hated Ben Ali in Tunisia and this was
followed quickly by the overthrow of Mubarak in Egypt. A revolutionary wave
was unleashed which left no Arab country untouched. The initial stage of
joy and enthusiasm quickly gave way to the realisation that overthrowing a
dictator is not the same as overthrowing the regime and that in some
countries the regimes were more resilient than what it had originally
seemed. Counter-revolution in different forms also regrouped and intervened
in order to derail the revolutionary movement of the masses. But the images
of the revolutionary action were an inspiration. Images of the youth, the
workers, and the poor, in Sidi Bouzid, in Tahrir, in Pearl roundabout and
in so many other places that were broadcast live to millions around the
world.

The movement of the ”*indignados*” in Spain and later on the #occupy
movement in the United States, were the result of the impact of the crisis
of capitalism, but also drew courage and inspiration from the Arab
revolution. This was also the year of the mass movement of the workers in
Wisconsin. The Greek workers and youth showed once and again their
willingness to struggle against austerity cuts though their current
leadership fell short of what is required. The revolutionary wind of the
Arab spring has certainly crossed the Mediterranean. We also saw the
general strike in Portugal and the massive strike of public sector workers
in Britain.

All of these events, which are just the beginning of the revolutionary
awakening of the workers of the world, are, in the last instance, caused by
the crisis of capitalism, which is the most severe since the 1930s.

As a result of all this, the ideas of Marxism have gained an audience
amongst a new generation of workers and youth who are entering into the
struggle and have also reinvigorated some from the old generation who had
become sceptical or passive. Even in ruling class circles it has become
common to admit that "Marx was right", while at the same time denying the
revolutionary character of his theories.

In Defence of Marxism and the International Marxist Tendency have been
providing a clear analysis and intervened in these events. The year
finishes with gloomy predictions by the IMF that the world will plunge into
a new 1930s style depression. In the words of Fitch rating agency:“the
probability of unfavourable outcomes is high and the risk of tail events,
with severe consequences, has increased over the last months.”

We would like to wish all our readers and supporters a red new year 2012,
full of fruitful revolutionary struggle, while at the same time we appeal
for a donation (however big or small) towards the continuation of our work.
At a time when banks are collapsing, governments are declaring bankruptcy
and bonds are rated as junk, the only safe, triple-A investment you can
make is in the ideas of Marxism.