The Trial of Bradley Manning - Rule of Law or Rule of Intimidation, Retaliation
and Retribution

by  Ann  Wright

Global Research, December 17, 2011
warisacrime.org

Yesterday, December 16, 2011, 40 supporters of Bradley Manning saw him in
person
in the military courtroom at Fort Meade, Maryland and another 60 saw him on a
video feed from the court, the first time Manning has been seen by the public
in 19 months.  Over 100 other supporters, including 50 from
Occupy Wall Street who had bused down from New York City, were at the
front gates of Fort Meade in solidarity with Manning.
Hundreds of supporters will gather today, Saturday, December 17, for a large
rally and march.
For his first court appearance, Bradley was in what looked to be a new military
uniform and typically
military, he had a fresh haircut.  He was not in shackles in the
courtroom, but it appeared in a photo that he was shackled in the van
that brought him to the court. Manning talked freely with his civilian
defense counsel and his two military legal counsels.
He did not turn around and look at the people in the court, but as he was
brought in and taken out
during the various recesses of the court, he no doubt noticed supporters in
Bradley Manning t-shirts.
Bradley Manning has been
imprisoned for 19 months, since May, 2010, without a trial.  Yesterday,
December 16, 2011, an Article 32 hearing began at Fort Meade, Maryland,
in which an investigating officer will determine whether there is
sufficient evidence of the crimes with which the military has charged
him for the case to be referred to a General court-martial.
In July, 2010, Manning was
charged with transferring classified information onto his personal
computer and communicating national defense information to an
unauthorized source.  22 more crimes were charged in March 2011,
including "aiding the enemy," a capital offense.  Defense Department
prosecutors said they would not seek the death penalty. In April, 2011,
Manning was found fit to face a court martial.
Defense Challenges Impartiality of Investigating Officer
On Friday, December 16,
Manning’s civilian lawyer, David Coombs challenged the impartiality of
the investigating officer US Army Reserve Lieutenant Colonel Paul
Almanza, citing Almanza’s civilian employment as a lawyer in the
Department of Justice which has conducted investigations on Manning,
Julian Assange, and Wikileaks. The defense team had requested that 38
witnesses be allowed to testify in the Article 32 hearing. Coombs also
said that the decision of Almanza to allow only two defense witnesses
other than the10 the prosecution wanted demonstrated a bias by Almanza.
Coombs told Almanza,  “That
simple fact alone, without anything else, would cause a reasonable
person to say, ‘I question your impartiality.’?” Stating that his office of
child exploitation in the Department of Justice had nothing to do
with the Wikileaks investigation or with national security issues,
Almanza denied Coombs’ request for recusal.
Almanza told [6] Coombs and Manning, “I do not believe a reasonable person,
knowing all
the circumstances, would be led to the conclusion that my impartiality
would be reasonably questioned.  I thus deny the defense request to
recuse myself.”
After that, Coombs filed a
writ with the Army Court of Criminal Appeals to stay the proceedings
until a decision can be made on whether Almanza should continue to
preside. According to military law experts, the hearing can proceed
while the appeals court makes its determination.
Manning under harsh imprisonment at Quantico reeked of intimidation and
retaliation
The military’s treatment of Manning has reeked of intimidation and retaliation.
Until citizen activist
protests six months ago in March, 2011, brought sufficient attention to
the harsh conditions of his pre-trial confinement, the US military was
treating  him as if he were beyond the scrutiny of the law — as if he
were an "enemy combatant" in Guantanamo or Abu Ghraib.  Amnesty
International and the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture
expressed great concern about the conditions under which Manning was
being held — in a maximum-security, single-occupancy cell, placed on a
prevention-of-injury order and allowed to wear only a suicide-proof
smock at night.
Independent UN expert on torture calls for unrestricted access to Manning and
other US detainees
On July 12, 2011, Juan
Mendez, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture, stated that it was
"vital for him to have unmonitored access to Bradley Manning."
Mendez said,
"I am assured by the US
Government that Mr. Manning's prison regime and confinement is markedly
better than it was when he was in Quantico, however, in addition to
obtaining firsthand information on my own about his new conditions of
confinement, I need to ascertain whether the conditions he was subjected to for
several months in Quantico amounted to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading
treatment or punishment. For that, it is imperative that I talk to Mr. Manning
under conditions where I can be assured that he is
being absolutely candid."
At the request of Mr. Mendez
and after several meetings, the US Department of Defense said it would
allow him to visit Mr. Manning, but warned that the conversation would
be monitored.
Mendez said such a condition
violated long-standing rules that the UN applies for prison visits and
for interviews with inmates everywhere in the world. On humanitarian
grounds and under protest, Mr. Mendez, through Mr. Manning's counsel,
offered to visit him under these restrictive conditions, an offer
Manning declined.
Mr. Mendez said, "The
question of my unfettered access to a detainee goes beyond my request to meet
with Mr. Manning -- it touches on whether I will be able to
conduct private and unmonitored interviews with detainees if I were to
conduct a country visit to the United States."
Additionally, Mr. Mendez has
requested several times since his appointment in November, 2010, that
the US Government allow him to visit the US military prison at
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. However, the US government has not responded to
his requests.
Best Military Legal System in the World?
Despite the military’s mantra of having the best military legal system in the
world, the past
treatment of Manning—keeping him in solitary confinement, forcing him to stand
naked while in pre-trial confinement and the lack of compliance
with the norms of the military legal system of a "speedy" trial have
added to the low points of Abu Gharib and Guantanamo in the history of
military “justice.”
The federal courts have long established mechanism of dealing with classified
information in national security cases.
The military’s contention
that it took 19 months to figure out how to try him while protecting
classified materials reeks of intimidation, retribution and
retaliation.

 Global Research Articles by Ann  Wright