---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Heather Meyer <coffeeparty...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Subject: [MLK_Coalition] RECLAIMING THE LEGACY: OCCUPY THE MAYOR'S MANSION
& Kingdom Parade
To: MLK Coalition <mlk_coalit...@yahoogroups.com>, occup...@lists.riseup.net

**

Below are the details for both the mayor's mansion occupation and then for
our contingency in the MLK parade - PLUS the Occupy the Dream event
downtown at The Fed afterwards.

Looking  forward to seeing you there!

In Solidarity,
Heather

  [image: http://mrsstahlheber.com/monthlyfeatures/mlk/outsidespeech.jpg]

 *RECLAIMING THE LEGACY*

 We are calling on Mayor Villaraigosa and other City leaders to take action
to promote human rights.  We call on them to meet our demands, and thereby
honor the legacy and teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

*“A right delayed is a right denied.”*
*
*
*We demand a moratorium on any rent increases in the City of Los Angeles
for at least one year.*   In May 2010 the City Council failed to vote on a
rent freeze and sent it back for further consideration.  18 months later,
no action has been taken.

 * *
*“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded
by the oppressed.”*
*
*
* *
*We demand a moratorium on foreclosures and foreclosure evictions*.  We
also demand support for those forced to occupy their homes, instead of own
them.

 *“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”*
*
*
*We demand an end to the Skid Row Safer Cities Initiative*.  After more
than five years, the mass criminalization of homelessness and poverty must
end.  Safer Cities impacts us all – we cannot stand silent while the
assault against our brothers and sisters continues at an astronomical human
and monetary cost.

 *“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative
altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.”*
*
*
* *
*It is time for our leaders to decide*.  We have decided, and we will hold
others accountable to the same.
* *

 Join Occupy The Hood LA Action Assembly, LACAN, Occupy LA, MLK Coaltion
for Jobs, Justice and Peace
 and other supporters as we Occupy The Mayor's Mansion Monday morning.

Time:
7:00 a.m.- 9:00 a.m.

Place:
Meet-up at Wilshire Blvd. and Western Ave.,MTA Redline Station
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/221027561316502/

 We will later join the Martin Luther King Coalition for Job, Justice and
Peace contingent in the Kingdom Day Parade.

MARCH WITH THE MARTIN LUTHER KING COALITION & OCCUPY THE HOOD
IN RESPECTFUL MEMORY OF DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING AT THE ANNUAL KINGDOM DAY
PARADE

MONDAY, JANUARY 16, 2012

The Martin Luther King Coalition for Jobs, Justice and Peace is a broad
coalition of individual activists and community groups who are committed to
taking up the fight for social and economic justice and world peace where
Dr. King left off, and applying these principles in the context of the
conditions that we face in the world today. Our goal is to build a genuine
popular movement capable of organizing effectively on a daily basis to
change the society we live in.

Each year we mobilize a contingent in the Kingdom Day Parade to commemorate
Dr. King's legacy and to reassert our collective commitment to carrying
forward the struggle to realize Dr. King's dream of a society based upon
the principles of freedom, justice and equality for all people.

This year the Martin Luther King Coalition is pleased to co-sponsor its
contingent with Occupy the Hood, together with the support of the entire
Occupy Movement here in Los Angeles. Activists from the Martin Luther King
Coalition have worked within and supported Occupy L.A. from it's inception,
and we continue to view this movement as the most significant embodiment of
the spirit of Dr. King's movement to emerge in our own times. Like us, the
Occupy movement utilizes the politics of non-violent direct action and
civic persuasion. Their goal, like ours, is to build people power!

Today's needs are just as urgent and compelling as those of Dr. King's
times, perhaps even more so. Multinational corporations monopolize wealth,
smash unions, cut pay and benefits, eliminate jobs and ruin our
environment. They have corrupted our political system and pillaged the
public treasury in order to bail themselves out of a global financial
disaster that is the result of their own illicit manipulations of our
economy, and that of the rest of the planet. The wealthy pay few, if any,
taxes while the rest of us are told to tighten our belts. Essential
services and public programs are cut to the bone --- or "amputated"
altogether! Meanwhile, literally trillions of U.S. tax dollars have been
flushed down the drain of numerous wars and questionable interventions
around the globe since 9/11. There are over 2.5 million Americans
languishing in prisons --- more than ANY other country in the world. There
are at least 4 million homeless people in America on any given night, many
of them children. Somewhere between 6-9 million American homes have been
foreclosed on by the banks in the past 4 years. 45.8 million Americans were
dependent on food stamps as of August of last year. The list of symptoms of
our social crisis goes on and on and on!

IT IS TIME FOR US TO COME TOGETHER TO CHANGE ALL OF THIS!

If you are concerned about the decline of public education, MARCH WITH US!!!

If you tired of massive unemployment in our communities, MARCH WITH US!!!

If you are determined to see something more than drugs, mass incarceration
and gang-banging for our youth, MARCH WITH US!!!

If you you believe that we as a society are capable of producing something
better than war, poverty and racism, MARCH WITH US!!!

If you believe that decent food, housing, health care, education, and a
clean environment are fundamental human rights, MARCH WITH US!!!

If you believe that we must work to ensure justice and equality for all
people, regardless of race, creed, color or nationality, MARCH WITH US!!!

If you understand that we must fight to end the erosion of all of our
fundamental HUMAN and CIVIL RIGHTS, MARCH WITH US!!!

March with the Martin Luther King Coalition, Occupy the Hood, and many
other labor, peace and community activists from the L.A. area
in the Kingdom Day Parade,
Monday, January 16, 2012.
(Gather at Western Avenue and Martin Luther King Blvd. @ 9:00 a.m.)

For more information please contact Kwazi Nkrumah, (Co-Convenor, MLK
Coalition & Co-Chair, Occupy the Hood) at (213) 884-5190

*OCCUPY the DREAM*

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/310184042359188/

Members of the African-American faith community have joined forces with
Occupy LA to launch a new campaign for economic justice inspired by the
legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.. Faithful to its philosophical origin,
the “Occupy the Dream” coalition has called for a National Day of Action on
Martin Luther King Day – Monday, January 16, 2012 – when they will “Occupy
the Federal Reserve” in multiple cities nationwide, focusing attention on
the gross injustice visited upon the 99% by the financial elite. This will
be the first of many actions leading up to a mass gathering in Washington
D.C., to be held April 4 – 7, when millions will unite in celebration of
the life and legacy of Dr King.
*
*
*Where & When:
*
950 South Grand St. Los Angeles, CA - from 3pm to 6pm.

--

Heather Meyer
Chair, Coffee Party LA