____________________________________
 (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/calendar/Calendar.php)

Please post your  immigrant action _calendar_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/calendar/EventPublish.php)   items
Spring 2012 National  Immigrant Solidarity Network Monthly News Digest and
News  Alert!
National Immigrant  Solidarity Network
No Immigrant Bashing! Support Immigrant  Rights!
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
e-mail:  _Info@ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(mailto:i...@immigrantsolidarity.org)
Information about the Network: _FLYER_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Flyers/ISN_9.pdf)
Washington D.C.: (202)595-8990
New York:  (212)330-8172
Los Angeles: (213)403-0131
Chicago:  (773)942-2268

Every Donation  Counts! Please Support Us!
Send check pay  to:
National Immigrant Solidarity  Network/AFGJ

National Immigrant Solidarity  Network
P.O. Box 751
South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751
(All  donations are tax deductible)

November 2011 U.S. Immigrant  Alert! Newsletter
Published by National Immigrant  Solidarity Network
Please Our  Newsletter:
_http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Spring12.pdf_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Spring12.pdf)
[Requires Adobe Acrobat, to download,  go: _http://www.adobe.com_
(http://www.adobe.com/) ]
_Subscribe  to Newsletter_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring12NewsAlert.html#newsletter)  |
_Please  Join Our E-Mail List_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring12NewsAlert.html#email)  |
_Please  Donate
to Us!_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring12NewsAlert.html#donate)  |
_Past  NISN Digests_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring12NewsAlert.html#past)

____________________________________
May Day 2012 National Call To the Action!
NO to the NDAA!
In This Issue:
1) May Day 2012 Call To Action!
2)  The NDAA's Historic Assault on American Liberty
3) ‘Trespass  Bill’ will make protest illegal
4) ICE Detainee Death in CA
5) Immig detention is no hospitality suite
6)3/23 Newark, NJ  :Conf on Immigrant Detainees
7) Updates, _Please  Support NISN!_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring12NewsAlert.html#donate)
_Subscribe  the Newsletter!_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring12NewsAlert.html#newsletter)
Please  download our latest newsletter: _http://www.immigrantsolidar
ity.org/Newsletter/Spring12.pdf_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Spring12.pdf)

May Day 2012
National Mobilization For  Immigrant Workers Rights!
National Immigrant  Solidarity Network _http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
Please send your May Day  2012 action report to
_info@immigrantsolidarity.org_ (mailto:i...@immigrantsolidarity.org)
We are calling A national day of multi-ethnic unity with youth,  labor,
peace and justice communities in solidarity with immigrant workers  and
building new immigrant rights & civil rights movement! Wear White  T-Shirt;
organize local actions to support immigrant worker  rights!
1. No to anti-immigrant legislation, police surveillance  and the
criminalization of the immigrant communities.
2. No to  militarization of the border.
3. No to the private prison, immigrant  detention and deportation.
4. No to the guest worker program.
5.  No to the NDAA.
6. Yes to a path to legalization without condition for  undocumented
immigrants NOW.
7. Yes to speedy family reunification.
8. Yes to civil rights and humane immigration law.
9. Yes to labor  rights and living wages for all workers.
10. Yes to the education and  LGBTQ immigrant legislation.
We encourages everyone to actively linking our issues with  different
struggles: wars in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Iraq,  Afghanistan, Palestine &
Korea with sweatshops exploitation in Asia as  well as in Los Angeles, New
York; international arm sales and WTO, FTAA,  NAFTA & CAFTA with AIDS, hunger,
child labors and child solider; as  well as multinational corporations and
economic exploitation with racism  and poverty at home—in order we can win
the struggle together at this May  Day 2012!

____________________________________
The NDAA's Historic Assault on American Liberty
By signing into law the NDAA, the president has awarded the  military
extraordinary powers to detain US citizens without trial
Jonathan Turley - Monday, January 2, 2012
President Barack Obama rang in the New Year by signing the NDAA law  with
its provision allowing him to indefinitely detain citizens. It was a
symbolic moment, to say the least. With Americans distracted with drinking  and
celebrating, Obama signed one of the greatest rollbacks of civil  liberties in
the history of our country ... and citizens partied in  unwitting bliss into
the New Year.
Ironically, in addition to breaking  his promise not to sign the law, Obama
broke his promise on signing  statements and attached a statement that he
really does not want to detain  citizens.
Obama insisted that he signed the bill simply to keep funding for the
troops. It was a continuation of the dishonest treatment of the issue by  the
White House since the law first came to light. As discussed earlier,  the
White House told citizens that the
president would not sign the  NDAA because of the provision. That spin
ended after sponsor Senator Carl  Levin (Democrat, Michigan) went to the floor
and disclosed that it was the  White House and insisted that there be no
exception for citizens in the  indefinite detention provision.
The latest claim is even more insulting. You do not "support our  troops"
by denying the principles for which they are fighting. They are  not fighting
to consolidate authoritarian powers in the president. The  "American way of
life" is defined by our constitution and specifically the  bill of rights.
Moreover, the insistence that you do not intend to use  authoritarian powers
does not alter the fact that you just signed an  authoritarian measure. It
is not the use but the right to use such powers  that defines authoritarian
systems.
The almost complete failure of the mainstream media to cover this issue  is
shocking. Many reporters have bought into the spin of the Obama
administration as they did the spin over torture by the Bush  administration.
Even
today, reporters refuse to call waterboarding torture  despite the long line of
cases and experts defining waterboarding as  torture for decades.
On the NDAA, reporters continue to mouth the claim that this law only
codifies what is already the law. That is not true. The administration has
fought any challenges to indefinite detention to prevent a true court  review.
Moreover, most experts agree that such indefinite detention of  citizens
violates the constitution.
There are also those who continue the longstanding effort to excuse
Obama's horrific record on civil liberties by blaming either others or the
times.
One successful myth is that there is an exception for citizens. The  White
House is saying that changes to the law made it unnecessary to veto  the
legislation. That spin is ridiculous. The changes were the inclusion  of
some meaningless rhetoric after key amendments protecting citizens  were
defeated. The provision merely states that nothing in the provisions  could be
construed to alter Americans' legal rights. Since the Senate  clearly views
citizens as not just subject to indefinite detention but  even to execution
without a trial, the change offers nothing but rhetoric  to hide the harsh
reality.
The Obama administration and Democratic members are in full spin mode -
using language designed to obscure the authority given to the military.  The
exemption for American citizens from the mandatory detention  requirement
(section 1032) is the screening language for the next section,  1031, which
offers no exemption for American citizens from the  authorisation to use the
military to indefinitely detain people without  charge or trial.
Obama could have refused to sign the bill and the Congress would have
rushed to fund the troops. Instead, as confirmed by Senator Levin, the  White
House conducted a misinformation campaign to secure this power while
portraying the president as some type of reluctant absolute ruler, or, as
Obama
maintains, a reluctant president with dictatorial powers.
Most Democratic members joined their Republican colleagues in voting  for
this un-American measure. Some Montana citizens are moving to force  the
removal of these members who, they insist, betrayed their oaths of  office and
their constituents. Most citizens, however, are continuing to  treat the
matter as a distraction from the holiday cheer.
For civil libertarians, the NDAA is our Mayan moment: 2012 is when the
nation embraced authoritarian powers with little more than a pause between
rounds of drinks.
* Jonathan Turley is a professor of law at George Washington  University.

Please download our latest  newsletter:
_http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Spring12.pdf_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Newsletter/Spring12.pdf)

Past NISN News Letters
_Winter  2011_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Winter11NewsAlert.html)  | _Summer
2011_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Summer11NewsAlert.html)  | _Fall
2011_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Fall11NewsAlert.html)  | _November
2011_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov11NewsAlert.html)  | _Spring  2011_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring12NewsAlert.html)  |
_September  - October 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Sep-Oct09NewsAlert.html)  | _Spring
2010_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Spring10NewsAlert.html)  | _Fall
2010_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Fall10NewsAlert.html)  |
_October-Novermber  10_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Oct-Nov10NewsAlert.html)
_May  - June 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/May-June09NewsAlert.html)  | _March  -
April 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/March-April09NewsAlert.html)  |
_January  - February 2009_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Jan-Feb09NewsAlert.html)  | _November
- December
2008_ (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/News/Nov-Dec08NewsAlert.html)

____________________________________

Useful Immigrant Resources  on Detention and Deportation
Face Sheet: _Immigration  Detention--Questions and Answers_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/detq&aflier.pdf)  (Dec, 2008) by:
_http://www.thepoliticsofimmigration.org_
(http://www.thepoliticsofimmigration.org/)

Thanks for GREAT works from Detention Watch  Network (DWN) to compiled the
following information, please visit DWN  website:
_http://www.detentionwatchnetwork.org_ (http://www.detentionwatchnetwork.org/)

_Tracking  ICE's Enforcement Agenda_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/4.%20Tracking%20ICE%20Enforcement%20Agenda.doc)

_Real  Deal fact sheet on detention_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/5.%20Real%20Deal%20fact%20sheet%20on%20detention.pdf)

_Real  Deal fact sheet on border_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/6.%20Real%20Deal%20fact%20sheet%20on%20border.pdf)

- _From  Raids to Deportation-A Community Resource Kit_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/39.%20From%20Raids%20to%20Deportation--A%20Com
munity%20Resource%20Kit.pdf)
- Know Your Rights in  the Community (_English_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/40.%20Know%20your%20Rights%20in%20Community%20--%20Eng
lish.pdf) ,  _Spanish_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/41.%20Know%20Your%20Rights%20in%20Community%20--%20Spanish.pdf)
 )
-  _Know  Your Rights in Detention_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/42.%20Know%20Your%20Rights%20in%20Detention.pdf)

- _Pre-Raid  Community Safety Plan_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/43.%20Pre%20Raid%20Community%20Safety%20Plan.pdf)

- _Raids  to Deportation Map_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/44.%20Raids%20to%20Deportation%20Map.pdf)

- _Raids  to Deportation Policy Map_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/Documents/DWN/45.%20Raids%20to%20Deportation%20Policy%20Map.pdf)

More on  Immigration Resource Page
_http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/resource.htm_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/resource.htm)
Useful Handouts and Know Your Immigrant  Rights When Marches

Immigrant Marches / Marchas de los Inmigrantes
(By ACLU)

   EN ESPAÑOL
_Acerca de  la Union Americana de Libertades  Civiles_
(http://www.aclu.org/immigrants/espanol/index.html)

Immigrants and their supporters are participating in marches all over  the
country to protest proposed national legislation and to seek justice  for
immigrants. The materials available here provide important information  about
the rights and risks involved for anyone who is planning to  participate in
the ongoing marches.
If government agents question you, it is important to understand your
rights. You should be careful in the way you speak when approached by the
police, FBI, or INS. If you give answers, they can be used against you in  a
criminal, immigration, or civil case.
The ACLU's publications below provide effective and useful guidance in
several languages for many situations. The brochures apprise you of your  legal
rights, recommend how to preserve those rights, and provide guidance  on
how to interact with officials.
IMMIGRATION
_Know Your Rights When Encountering Law Enforcement_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/kyr_english.pdf)
|  _Conozca Sus Derechos Frente A Los Agentes Del Orden  Público_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/immigration_kyr_spanish.pdf)

ACLU of Massachusetts - Your Rights And  Responsibilities If You Are
Contacted By The Authorities _English_ (http://www.aclum.org/pdf/bustcard.pdf)

_Spanish_ (http://www.aclu-nj.org/downloads/BustcardSpanish.pdf)  |
_Chinese_ (http://www.aclum.org/pdf/bustcard.pdf)

ACLU of  Massachusetts - _What to do  if stopped and questioned about your
immigration status on the street, the  subway, or the bus_
(http://www.aclum.org/pdf/Operation%20Safe%20Commute.pdf)
| _Que  hacer si Usted es interrogado en el tren o autobus acerca de su
estatus  inmigratorio_
(http://www.aclum.org/pdf/Operation_Safe_Commute_SPANISH.pdf)

ACLU of South Carolina - _How  To Deal With A 287(g)_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/immigration_287g_english.pdf)
| _Como  Lidiar Con Una 287(g)_ (http://www.aclu.org/p
dfs/immigrants/immigration_287g_spanish.pdf)

ACLU of Southern California - _What to Do If Immigration Agents or Police
Stop You While on  Foot, in Your Car, or Come to Your Home_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/kyr_immigration_en.pdf)
| _Qué Hacer Si Agentes de Inmigración o la Policía lo  Paran Mientras Va
Caminando, lo Detienen en su Auto o Vienen a su  Hogar_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/kyr_immigration_sp.pdf)

ACLU of Washington - Brochure for Iraqis: What to  Do If the FBI or Police
Contact You for Questioning _English_
(http://www.aclu-wa.org/detail.cfm?id=200)  | _Arabic_
(http://aclu-wa.org/detail.cfm?id=354)

ACLU of  Washington - _Your  Rights at Checkpoints at Ferry Terminals_
(http://www.aclu-wa.org/library_files/FerryCheckpointsEng%206-08.pdf)
| _Sus  Derechos en Puestos de Control en las Terminales de
Transbordadores_
(http://www.aclu-wa.org/library_files/FerryCheckpointsSpan%206-08.pdf)
LABOR / FREE SPEECH
_Immigrant Protests - What Every Worker Should Know:  _
(http://www.nilc.org/ce/nilc/protests_what_every_worker_should_know.pdf)
| _Manifestaciones de los Inmigrantes - Lo Que Todo  Trabajador Debe Saber_
(http://www.nilc.org/ce/nilc/protests_what_every_worker_should_know_sp.pdf)

PROTESTERS
ACLU of Florida Brochure - _The Rights of Protesters_
(http://www.aclufl.org/PDFs/right_to_protest_brochure.pdf)
| _Los Derechos de los Manifestantes_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/acluprotestbrochuresp1.pdf)
STUDENTS
Washington State - _Student Walkouts and Political Speech at School_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/studentwalkouts20060503.pdf)
| _Huelgas Estudiantiles y Expresión Política en las  Escuelas_
(http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/immigrants/studentwalkouts20060503_spanish.pdf)

_California Students: Public School Walk-outs and Free  Speech_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/KYRCAStudentProtestsEnglish.pdf)
| _Estudiantes de California: Marchas o Huelgas y La  Libertad de Expresión
en las Escuelas Públicas_
(http://www.aclu-sc.org/attach/k/KYRCAStudentProtestsSpanish.pdf)

It  will help us pay for the printing costs, as well as funding for the
NISN  projects (additional donations to the NISN is tax  deductible!)

Check pay to:  NISN/AFGJ
National Immigrant Solidarity Network
P.O. Box  751
South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751

- Daily email update:
The National  Immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv
to join, visit web:  _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn)
or  send e-mail to: _isn-subscr...@lists.riseup.net
_ (mailto:isn-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)

-  Regional listservs:
Asian American Labor Activism Alert!  Listserv
send-e-mail to: _api-la-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:api-la-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)
or  visit: _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la
_ (http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la)
New  York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers
 information and alerts
send e-mail to: _nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:nyc-immigrantalert-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)   or e-mail request to:
_info@immigrantsolidarity.org_ (mailto:i...@immigrantsolidarity.org)
or  visit: _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert)
Virginia state-wide immigrant  organizing E-mail list
send- e-mail to: _va-immigrantrights-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:va-immigrantrights-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)
or visit:  _https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights_
(https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights)

US-Mexico  Border Information: No Militarization of Borders! Support
Immigrant  Rights!
send e-mail to: _Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_
(mailto:border01-subscr...@yahoogroups.com)
Immigrant Deportation and Detention Alert!
send  e-mail to: _isn-deportees-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:isn-deportees-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)
Chicago/Midwest/Great Lake Region Immigrant  List
send e-mail to: _chicago-immigrantrights@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:chicago-immigrantrig...@lists.riseup.net)
or  visit: _https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/chicago-immigrantrights_
(https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/chicago-immigrantrights)

____________________________________
Please Donate to National Immigrant Solidarity  Network!
All Donations Are Tax Deductible!
Make check payable to NISN/AFGJ  and it will be tax deductible! Send your
check to:
National Immigrant  Solidarity Network
P.O. Box 751
South Pasadena, CA  91031-0751
Los Angeles, California 90048
____ $100.00 ____ $  50.00 ____ $ 35.00 ____ Other Amount $___________
($35 or more will  receive 1 year free subscriptions of the Immigration
Alert! Newsletter  Print Edition)
Every Donation Counts! Please Support Us!

==

webpage: _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
e-mail:  _info@ImmigrantSolidarity.org_