** ***"EVERYBODY’S A TARGET"*

*

*"If you're not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to hide.” Every
time I hear people utter this colossally stupid statement, I want to send
them back to 5th grade Civics. Does the concept of principle mean nothing?

I despise the National Security State and t**he War on Terror™ more than I
can say, so I take my pleasures where I can find them. One of those is
knowing that our overlords, in **their zeal to spy on Everyone And
Everything*<http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1>
*, have to plow through an awful lot of nonsense. Conversations about pizza
deliveries, kids’ birthdays, soccer schedules, shoe sizes, hairdos, water
bills, cat food, car payments, Paris Hilton, Derek Jeter, the Kardashians,
and the Real Housewives of wherever.*

*
*

*Though I'm not glad to know that our civil liberties are being trampled
left and right, our money is being squandered by the billions, our quality
of life is eroding, and millions of sheeple have their snouts stuck in the
grass, I am glad to think of all those nerdy spies in their little
cubicles, having to wade through trillions of terabytes of data that don't
add up to a hill of beams. I hope I'm helping, in my own small way, to make
their lives miserable.*

*
*

*
*

**
------------------------------

*LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL?*

*Rebecca Johnson
Stone*<http://protectourdefenders.com/survivor-stories-rebecca/>
* was born into a military family. After 9/11, she interrupted a promising
academic career to enlist in the Army and was sent to Iraq. Almost
immediately, she faced sexual harassment. It escalated. She was attacked
and sexually assaulted by a fellow soldier. He then tossed her into a
dumpster. She suffered Traumatic Brain Injury and was told she had to take
personal leave to get it treated. It wasn’t the first time Stone’s
assailant had attacked a woman. But he went unpunished.*

*Rebecca Stone is just one of thousands of American women attacked by their
own supposed comrades. Officials claim they don’t tolerate this criminal
behavior, but the facts speak otherwise. The U.S. military is flat-out
unsafe for women.*

*
*

------------------------------

*WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW*

*
*

*Since human beings are capable of great violence and cruelty against each
other, it should come as no surprise that they are just as vicious in
doling it out to other creatures as well. Creatures who are weaker, who are
powerless.

I know that many people have problems with PETA, People for the Ethical
Treatment of Animals, but the organization has done heroic work in exposing
the brutality of factory farming. I believe that most Americans, if they
knew what actually goes on to produce their food, wouldn’t support it and
would demand that it be changed. But most Americans don’t know. And others
would rather not know. Denial is a powerful force.

We cannot coo and cuddle over our dogs, cats, and other pets, and claim we
love animals, if we support **this kind of
treatment*<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/undercover-peta-investigation_n_1349366.html?ref=topbar>
*. Buying products that are the result of this treatment is supporting it.*

*
*

*
*
------------------------------

*
*

*The propaganda machine of the U.S. government churns daily. But it
wouldn’t be successful without the complicity of the media. The MSM
(mainstream media) rarely challenge the official line, often choosing
simply to re-package statements that come out of the White House, Congress,
or the Department of Defense War and present them as facts. Speaking truth
to power? Don’t look for it in the corporate media. When it does happen,
it’s rare. That’s why investigative reporters are a vanishing breed. Andy
Worthington is one of them.  –Lisa Simeone*

**
**

** **

** *** *

*Guantanamo And
Recidivism:<http://pubrecord.org/politics/10213/guantanamo-recidivism-medias/>
*

*The Media’s Ongoing Failure To Question Official
Statistics<http://pubrecord.org/politics/10213/guantanamo-recidivism-medias/>
***

*By Andy Worthington*****

** **

Last week, the Director of National Intelligence, in consultation with the
Director of the CIA and the Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency,
issued a two-page unclassified summary, entitled, “Summary of the
Reengagement of Detainees Formerly Held at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba”
(PDF<http://www.dni.gov/reports/March%202012%20Summary%20of%20Reengagement.pdf>),
which provided information about the purported “recidivism” of former
prisoners.

****

According to the summary, of the 599 prisoners released from Guantánamo, 95
(15.9%) are described as “Confirmed of Reengaging,” and 72 others (12%) are
described as “Suspected of Reengaging.” However, in the mainstream media,
little distinction was made between the “confirmed” and “suspected”
figures. Reuters’
headline<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/06/us-usa-guantanamo-recidivism-idUSTRE82501120120306>,
for example, was “Recidivism rises among released Guantánamo detainees,”
which was typical. In seeking to justify it, Reuters’ reporter stated, “The
figures represent a 2.9 percent rise over a 25 percent aggregate recidivism
rate reported by the intelligence czar’s office in December 2010.”

****

In terms of statistics, this was accurate, as the DNI report in December
2010
(PDF<http://www.dni.gov/electronic_reading_room/120710_Summary_of_the_Reengagement_of_Detainees_Formerly_Held_at_Guantanamo_Bay_Cuba.pdf>)
contained an assessment that 81 former prisoners (13.5 percent) were
“confirmed” and 69 (11.5 percent) “suspected” of “reengaging in terrorist
or insurgent activities after transfer.” However, as has been the case
since “reports” like these first began to be published, under the Bush
administration (see this 2009 Seton Hall Law School report –
PDF<http://law.shu.edu/ProgramsCenters/PublicIntGovServ/CSJ/upload/GTMO_Final_Final_Recidivist_6-5-09-3.pdf>),
the mainstream media has persistently refused to demand that the statistics
be backed up with evidence.

****

The last time that anything resembling evidence was provided — in a short
Pentagon report in May 2009
(PDF<http://www.defense.gov/news/returntothefightfactsheet2.pdf>)
— the *New York Times* shamefully published a front-page
story<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/06/06/new-york-times-finally-apologizes-for-false-guantanamo-recidivism-story/>entitled,
“1 In 7 Detainees Rejoined Jihad, Pentagon Finds,” stating that
“74 prisoners released from Guantánamo have returned to terrorism, making
for a recidivism rate of nearly 14 percent.”

****

It took a week for the *Times* to allow other commentators — Peter Bergen
and Katherine Tiedemann of the New America Foundation — to write an op-ed
discrediting Bumiller’s
article<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/29/opinion/29bergen.html>,
in which they concluded, from an examination of the report, that a more
probable figure for recidivism — based on the fact that there were “only 12
former detainees who can be independently confirmed to have taken part in
terrorist acts directed at American targets, and eight others suspected of
such acts” — was “about 4 percent of the 534 men who have been released.”

****

Following this latest report, the mainstream media’s response was more
balanced than it was in the wake of the last DNI report, when Fox
News<http://nation.foxnews.com/guantanamo-bay/2010/12/07/25-percent-recidivism-gitmo>,
for example, ran with “25 Percent Recidivism at Gitmo.” Of particular
significance was the Associated
Press<http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/05/2676873/us-officials-not-quite-so-many.html>article,
“US officials: Not quite so many Gitmo re-offenders.” This article
made a specific point of criticizing a Republican Congressional report
issued in February, by the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee
(PDF<http://armedservices.house.gov/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=ac70dd44-b5d9-4161-adce-bbcae91e6d47>),
which, in dealing with the “confirmed” and “suspected” cases, “added those
two figures together, coming up with a much more dramatic rate of 27
percent of the roughly 600 detainees released returning to the
battlefield,” and was so one-sided that the Democrats on the Congressional
committee refused to sign it, issuing instead a damning minority
report (PDF<http://cooper.house.gov/images/stories/minority_report.pdf>
).

****

Speaking to
CNN<http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/06/report-more-former-gitmo-detainees-back-on-the-battlefield/>,
Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale “took exception” to media
reports “characterizing the current recidivism rate at 28%.” He said that
“the intelligence bar for someone confirmed of returning to terrorism is
much higher,” as CNN described it, and, in his own words, explained,
“Someone on the ‘suspected’ list could very possibly not be engaged in
activities that are counter to our national security interests.”

****

This was significant, although there are still problems with the 95 former
prisoners who are supposedly confirmed as “recidivists.” A year ago, when
the New America Foundation issued its own report challenging the 2010 DNI
claims
(PDF<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/files/fp_uploaded_documents/110112_RecidivismAppendix2.pdf>),
accompanied by an article in *Foreign
Policy*<http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/01/11/how_many_gitmo_alumni_take_up_arms>,
the authors concluded, based on an assessment of available public
documentation, that “the true rate for those who have taken up arms or are
suspected of doing so is more like 6 percent, or one in 17,” with another
2.2 percent “engaged or suspected to have engaged with insurgent groups
that attack or attempt to attack non-US targets”; in other words, 49 men in
total, with just 36 “engaged or suspected to have engaged with insurgent
groups that attack or attempt to attack the United States, US citizens, or
US bases abroad.”

****

There is a huge gulf between this analysis (of 36 men confirmed or
suspected of hostile engagement with US interests) and the current claims
by the DNI, in which 167 men are described as confirmed or suspected of
“planning terrorist operations, conducting a terrorist or insurgent attack
against Coalition or host-nation forces or civilians, conducting a suicide
bombing, financing terrorist operations, recruiting others for terrorist
operations, and arranging for movement of individuals involved in terrorist
operations.”

****

In addition, my own research over the last few years has provided no reason
for believing the figures produced by the Director of National
Intelligence. All available reports, for example, indicate that there are
only a small number of problematical ex-prisoners from any countries except
Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia, and, according to Afghan and Saudi officials,
the number of “recidivists” from these two countries is no more than 45 in
total.

****

In June 2010, Abdulrahman al-Hadlaq, the director of ideological security
at the Saudi interior ministry, told reporters, “Twenty-five of the 120
former detainees at the US ‘war-on-terror’ prison returned to radical
Islamist activities after graduation from Riyadh’s lauded rehab centre,”
as AFP
described
it<http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jrWC-N58lRD7TS1MhDsbNSHsJvuQ>,
and in September 2011, in the *Washington
Post*<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/for-some-former-guantanamo-detainees-present-bleaker-than-past/2011/09/09/gIQAJusDIK_story.html>,
Siyamak Herawi, a spokesman for the Afghan government, said that “most
former prisoners led ‘normal lives’ after being released,” although he
added that the government estimated that “between eight and 10 percent
rejoined armed groups fighting the NATO-backed government”; in other words,
somewhere between 16 and 20 of the 198 Afghan prisoners released.

****

With figures like these, it is, I believe, entirely appropriate not to
trust the claims made by the Director of National Intelligence, without
some actual evidence provided to accompany the headline-grabbing
statistics, which, frankly, continue to function not as meaningful analysis
of a genuine threat, but as nothing more than propaganda.****

** **

http://pubrecord.org/politics/10213/guantanamo-recidivism-medias/****

** **

*Originally published on the website of the **Future of Freedom
Foundation*<http://www.fff.org/comment/com1203k.asp>
*.*****

*
*

*Freelance investigative journalist Andy Worthington continues his 70-part,
million-word series telling, for the first time, the stories of 776 of the
779 prisoners held at Guantánamo since the prison opened on January 11,
2002. Adding information released by WikiLeaks
<http://wikileaks.org/gitmo/> in
April 2011 to the existing documentation about the prisoners, much of which
was already covered in Andy’s book The Guantánamo
Files<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/the-guantanamo-files/> and
in the archive of articles on his website<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>,
the project will hopefully be completed later this year, although that is
contingent on finding new funding. **411 stories have now been told. See
the entire archive
here<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/category/2002-2011-the-complete-guantanamo-files-new/>
.*

------------------------------

   *
*
*If you wish to be removed from this list, please let us know*
 **
*To join the Liberty Underground news service email libertyuv@hotmail.comwith
"join" for a subject*
 **
*You may also join our talk group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/libertyundergroundtalk/ if you would like to
participate*
 **
*email: libert...@hotmail.com*
**
*Tell your friends about LUV News because some people just don't get it*