Soldier who killed 16 Afghans Robert Bales had debts of $1.5m

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/soldier-who-killed-16-afghans-robert-bales-had-debts-of-15m-7579491.html

The US soldier accused of murdering 16 Afghan civilians in this
month's unprovoked shooting spree was $1.5 million (£950,000), in debt
and in danger of losing his home, according to reports yesterday.
Robert Bales, a 38-year-old Staff Sergeant, was found guilty of
securities fraud before joining the army, and still owed his victims
hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation and punitive damages.
He carried out the financial crimes while working at MPI, a brokerage firm in
Ohio. A report filed by federal regulators in 2003 concluded he had
"engaged in fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, churning, unauthorised
trading and unsuitable investments" on behalf of clients.
A former victim called Gary Liebschner described Bales as a smooth-talking
conman who had caused him to lose $1.2million (£756,000) in savings.
Working as a stockbroker, he had sold AT&T shares on Liebschner's
behalf, but disappeared with the proceeds. "He robbed me of my life
savings," Mr Liebschner told ABC News. "We didn't know where he was. We
heard the Bahamas, and all kinds of places."
The next time Mr
Liebschner saw Robert Bales was when his face was splashed across the
front pages after the 11 March shooting spree. It emerged that, despite
his dubious past, he had joined the US army.
Lawyers working on
behalf of victims had spent years attempting to track him down to seek
the compensation they were owed. He turns out to have been living
between deployments in Washington State, with a wife and children, where he
owned several properties that were underwater on their mortgage.
Bales met with his lawyer, John Henry Browne, on Monday. He apparently
claimed to have forgotten many details of this month's massacre. "He has some
memory of some things that happened that night," Browne told the
Associated Press. "He has some memories of before the incident and he
has some memories of after the incident. In between, very little."
In a statement, Bales's wife, Karilyn, offered her condolences to the
victims, and said she was still struggling to come to terms with what
happened. Reports of the shootings that she had read and seen in news
reports were "completely out of character of the man I know and admire," she
said. "My family are all profoundly sad. We extend our condolences
to all the people of the Panjawai District. Our hearts go out to all of
them."