http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

  Infiltration in
Syria<http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/03/infiltration-in-syria.html>
 Based on the damage that the Syrian National Council and the Free Syrian
Army have done to the cause of the Syrian popular uprising, I am convinced
that both groups are deeply infiltrated by the regime agents.

 Posted by As'ad AbuKhalil
 Military Council
Inc<http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/03/military-council-inc.html>
 "Foreign firms have also pursued partnerships with Egypt’s military
producers in order to secure a piece of Egypt’s roomy market for renewable
energy and environmental cleanup projects. China signed a memorandum of
understanding with the AOI for collaboration in solar and wind energy
projects. European firms have also been active in this area. German and
Danish companies have concluded licensing agreements and technology
transfers with the AOI to generate wind energy, while Spanish and Canadian
firms are partnering with the AOI to build a photovoltaic plant near Cairo.
Other environment-related projects in which Military, Inc. is involved
include wastewater treatment, waste incineration and kits for converting
vehicles to operate on natural gas. A report compiled by Cairo University’s
Faculty of Engineering highlighted the military’s capacity to manufacture
the components necessary for a renewable energy industry, and many
commercial attachés at foreign embassies also stress the investment
potential in these areas. Such marketing devices have paid off: Germany
invested 50 million euros in rice straw recycling, building two factories
in collaboration with the AOI.
[15]<http://www.merip.org/mer/mer262/egypts-generals-transnational-capital#_15_>The
rice straw is to be pressed and transported under a contract concluded
with another military institution, the National Service Projects
Organization.
[16]<http://www.merip.org/mer/mer262/egypts-generals-transnational-capital#_16_>

The army’s drive to gain access to transnational capital is further
reflected in the rhetoric of the newly appointed minister for military
production, Maj. Gen. ‘Ali Sabri, who oversaw the expenditure of 1 billion
Egyptian pounds (about $166 million) to expand the military’s fertilizer
production and water treatment and sanitation operations in 2006-2008.
Although Sabri has made many of the same pronouncements as his predecessor
regarding job training for young graduates and industrial development in
remote areas, he has been especially fond of pointing to the numerous
foreign partnerships the military has secured with the US, Russia, Great
Britain, China, South Africa, France, Germany and Italy. In a barrage of
press interviews following his appointment, Sabri cited a long list of the
military’s economic successes, including a 5 percent growth in production
in the period after the uprising began, the completion of Egypt’s first
(and according to Sabri’s statements, the region’s only) hot steel rolling
mill, the scheduled completion of an industrial complex on a desert road
northeast of Cairo, and the intensification of commercial joint ventures
with major international companies that were “keen” to move ahead with
planned expansion despite continued political unrest.

The SCAF has also succeeded in restarting talks on some of the
public-private partnerships that were put on hold when foreign investors
demanded enhanced guarantees against currency fluctuations and political
risk. The primary sectors targeted for public-private financing --
hospitals, wastewater treatment plants and roads -- are also the
traditional purview of the military and have featured prominently in
Sabri’s media
pronouncements<http://www.merip.org/mer/mer262/egypts-generals-transnational-capital>
."

 Posted by As'ad AbuKhalil
 Palestinian
rights<http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/03/palestinian-rights.html>
 Comrade Joseph on Palestinian
rights<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxantP7xFpM&feature=youtu.be>.

   Updates on Forgotten
Bahrain<http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/03/updates-on-forgotten-bahrain.html>
 Angry Arab's chief Bahrain correspondent is back:  "I have a few updates
for you on Bahrain, not really updates but an analysis on where we are, a
year after the uprising. Its been really interesting looking back and
seeing how much has changed. Of course what I tell you know is not set in
stone and things may change as more developments take place:

   - *The Rise of Nabeel Rajab:* the uprising in Bahrain started as a youth
   uprising. Just like all the other uprisings in the Arab world, it was
   leaderless. Now a little over a year later, it seems that the uprising has
   its leader, and it isn't Ali Salman from AlWefaq or Shaikh Isa Qasim.
   Instead its human rights activist and President of the Bahrain Center for
   Human Rights Nabeel Rajab. Rajab is probably the only man the protestors
   trust mainly because he understands their grievances, sticks to his
   principles and openly calls for what they want. He has become very
   influential with them - If he says something, they will listen. The
   opposition can't ignore him either and he's become increasingly more
   daring, breaking taboos in their rallies. In the last Alwefaq rally Rajab
   gave a speech calling for the resignation of the King (the opposition
   usually sticks to the PM). Also he has become untouchable. Even the police
   are too scared to do anything to him right now. He has good links with
   overseas human rights organizations and the government knows that
   imprisoning him is not a good idea, so instead they have stuck to detaining
   him for short periods of time and attacking his house. It isn't working
   though. I can't see any type of negotiated solution between the opposition
   and the royal family working unless he gives his stamp of approval. Its
   been really interesting watching how he changed. Remember the
letter<http://www.bahrainrights.org/en/node/3726>he wrote at the
beginning of the uprising?  You called it weak. He is
   definitely part of the movement now instead of just being an observer. He
   does have his critics though. I keep getting into an arguement with a
   friend who says that he is involving himself too much in the uprising
   instead of being a neutral human rights observer. I don't believe that
   human rights activists staying seperate from politics. This puts human
   rights in a box completely seperate from political rights where is reality
   there is a great amount of overlap. What is your opinion on this?

I think after Rajab, Zainab AlKhawaja is probably the most influential.

   - *The Weakening of AlWefaq: *Its becoming clearer than ever - AlWefaq
   (and the rest of the opposition) is losing its appeal on the street. The
   rift between them and the protestors is only becoming greater. The past
   month, there were rumors of talks between the government and opposition and
   now the government has announced that there will be a comprehensive
   dialogue. Many people were worried that Alwefaq would compromise on the
   oppositions demands as outlined in the Manama Charter (elected PM,
   Parliament with executive powers etc.) and accept an appointed PM. The
   protestors msg was clear: are support for you is not unconditional. If you
   compromise we will continue without you. The opposition has responded to
   these allegations here

http://www.aldemokrati.org/ar-BH/ViewNews/64/3228/bayanat.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook(arabic)
and here

http://www.aldemokrati.org/ar-BH/ViewNews/128/3229/Home.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter(english.)
This is not to say that the legal opposition (not just alwefaq)
   doesn't retain influence. Their strength was shown last week in March 9
   during the biggest protest since last year. Reuters estimated that 100,000
   people attended but that was an hour before the protest began. A group of
   people I trust said that they drove down and estimated that at least
   200,000 attended. Opposition I believe said 300,000. Of course the numbers
   might be exaggerated but however many came it was a lot (feb 2011 levels)
   and at least in the 10s of thousands. I was surprised that people I thought
   wouldn't go because they were too scared went. The opposition called on
   everyone to attend and everyone did. The protest by the way was in response
   to the King stating (I believe) that there is no opposition Bahrain or
   something similar. So the protestors organized this in response and the
   opposition joined. Of course I am not saying that the bulk of the people
   who attended support the Manama Document but I am saying that the a lot of
   their supporters who are generally too scared to come out and are not
   regularly protesting (the regular protestors are mostly feb 14) came out.
   Again, the size of this protest was shocking to me. I am hoping that there
   will be more protests of this size and that the protestors will be able to
   regain the momentum they had last year. The protest wasn't covered well by
   the international media but AlAkhbar had some really good coverage.

   - *The End of the Prime Minister:* Any astute follower of politics in
   Bahrain would have predicted this and now the regime is finally saying it
   (it slipped out pro-regime leader Shaikh AlMahmoods tongue last year in a
   Washington Times interview last year but he was quickly silenced). The
   rumors of talks between the opposition and the government are true although
   they aren't leading to anywhere. I know for a fact that the opposition were
   told that the regime has no problem with forcing the PM to step down. The
   problem is that the King still wants to appoint the PM and there is no way
   the opposition can accept this. It would be political suicide. What is
   interesting is that the person the opposition was speaking to is Khalid Bin
   Ahmed, minister of the royal court and probably responsible for (with his
   brother Khalifa Bin Ahmed) most of the human rights violations. He is very
   influential with the King. Khalid Bin Ahmed and the PM were rivals (as was
   the King and PM) but they stood together during the uprising. Now it seems
   like the royal family is finally willing to sacrifice the PM to keep their
   grip on power. This is of course a major achievement for the protestors
   since Bahrainis have been calling for the downfall of the PM since the
   1970s.

   - *The Supposed Bahraini-Saudi Federation*: We've been hearing rumors
   about this for the past year. But a few weeks ago, the brother of the Kings
   Media advisor tweeted that a federation will be announced in the next few
   days. It never was. Interestingly, soon after that tweet, the Crown Prince
   said that Bahrains problems should be resolved locally. Now the rumor is
   that it will be announced in May. Bahrain is already virtually a Saudi
   protectorate so I'm not sure what the point of a formal federation would
   be. In fact it may backfire as this article in AlAkhbar English points out
   well:

http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/whose-fourteenth-province-will-bahrain-becomeThe
pro-regime have been calling for it though. Actually maybe I should
   stop calling them pro-regime and start calling them anti-democracy because
   it seems that they have no problem with the royal family relinquishing
   their power to AlSaud.

   - *Rising Anti-Americanism*: As I have said before, Bahrainis are
   probably one of the least anti-american in the region. Of course they have
   always been against American foreign policy, especially when it comes to
   the Palestinian cause, but they never felt that they were DIRECT victims of
   American foreign policy. Now, after the US' blatent support of the regime,
   and the selling of American weapons and tear gas to the regime, things have
   changed. Of course anti-americanism is also on the rise by pro-regime
   supporters. The majority of them seem to believe that the the protests are
   the result of some US-Hezbollah-Iran conspiracy. Of course any person with
   a few brain cells will have a hard time believing that such a conspiracy
   could exist. I think its difficult for them to resolve their sectarianism
   and support for the Bahraini government which is of course pro-american and
   pro-israel with their hatred for american foreign policy and Israel. Of
   course the Obama Administration doesn't talk about this much and its all
   very hush hush. Justin Grengler has been doing good work writing about this
   on his blog. Here's an example:

http://bahrainipolitics.blogspot.com/2011/07/obama-iran-love-story-chapter-2.htmlThe
Bahraini regime has also been using anti-american rhetoric to shore up
   support (although it is pro-american) and Khalifa Bin Ahmad AlKhalifa,
   commander in chief of the Bahrain Defense Forces keeps talking about the
   so-called conspiracy:
   http://www.alraimedia.com/Alrai/Article.aspx?id=334649 Its one of his
   favorite topics

And a few updates:

   - Abdul Hadi Alkhawaja has been on a hungerstrike for I believe 40 days
   now. I can't imagine how that would feel like and I can't think of anyone
   in Bahrain who would have the strength to go on for that long. Of course
   this is causing a really big problem for the regime: If he dies then all
   hell will break lose. If they release him then what's their excuse for
   imprisoning all the other political leaders, especially Ebrahim Sharif
   (still my favorite politician) who never called for the downfall of the
   regime. The international media hasn't been really covering his story. I
   guess they are too bust with the leaked Assad emails and speculating as to
   whether he had an affair with that brunette.

   - Ever since Timony (apparently known for being the worst cop in
   America) took over training Bahrains security forces, more and more
   Bahrainis have been dying from the excessive use of tear gas in residential
   areas. Here's a great post by Physicians for Human Rights on this:
   http://physiciansforhumanrights.org/blog/tear-gas-or-lethal-gas.html

   - The solidarity people and Code Pink have really been causing a ruckus
   for the government. Its humorous really. The government no longer allows
   for visas to be obtained at the airport and to come to Bahrain you actually
   have to be invited. Once you are there you are usually interrogated in the
   airport. Welcome to Business Friendly Bahrain (that's their slogan).
   Business friendly indeed. Of course the fact that some of them are
   Palestinian and active within the Palestinian cause are a great source of
   embarassment. As a result, the King as you posted in your blog is
   apparently fighting for Palestinian rights. Huwaida Arraf by the way
   attended a showing of a Bahraini regime propoganda film in DC. After the
   film was over she stood up and criticized the film. The Bahraini Ambassador
   to the US responded to her and then dismissed her by saying that she was
   arrested for doing the same thing in other countries. Apparently she has -
   in Israel.

   - The doctors case is still going on. It keeps getting delayed. The
   entire thing is becoming really tiresome. Apparently the government is
   going to drop charges on 15 of the 20 doctors and leave 5 as scapegoats. Of
   course unless these 5 doctors have superhero powers, the government is
   going to have to come up with a more convincing explanation as to how five
   doctors can occupy an entire hospital (down from the original 40
   something). So far this hasn't materialized though and the 20 left are
   still on trial. Their is a medic still in jail and being tried separately
   for some reason.

   - I am really worried about the King. I don't think he is completely
   there mentally speaking. Here is his humorous interview with Deir Speigel
   http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,814915,00.html and at
   another instance he says that the the alkhalifas and the baharna (arab
   shia) came to Bahrain together from Alzubara (Qatar) and that the uprising
   has distracted him from the Palestinian cause (can't find the article but
   you linked to it before). Very strange indeed.

   - The Obama Administration seems to believe that in order to retain
   leverage with the Bahraini government and to pressure them to reform, it
   must keep its strong relationship with Bahrain by selling them arms".

   On the walls of
Cairo<http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/03/on-walls-of-cairo.html>

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-e6oYMs8KTd8/T2jP1iIAjMI/AAAAAAAAEE4/RrncnngYfIM/s1600/Jellyfish.jpg>
"“Your gas is illuminating Israel: Take to the streets!”" (thanks Joseph)

  Syrian regime
moguls<http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/03/syrian-regime-moguls.html>

   "After Bashar al-Asad succeeded his father in 2000, the architects of
Syria’s economic policy sought to reverse the downturn by liberalizing the
economy further, for instance by reducing state subsidies. Private banks
were permitted for the first time in nearly 40 years and a stock market was
on the drawing board. After 2005, the state-business bonds were
strengthened by the announcement of the Social Market Economy, a mixture of
state and market approaches that ultimately privileged the market, but a
market without robust institutions or accountability. Again, the regime had
consolidated its alliance with big business at the expense of smaller
businesses as well as the Syrian majority who depended on the state for
services, subsidies and welfare. It had perpetuated cronyism, but dressed
it in new garb. Families associated with the regime in one way or another
came to dominate the private sector, in addition to exercising considerable
control over public economic assets. These clans include the Asads and
Makhloufs, but also the Shalish, al-Hassan, Najib, Hamsho, Hambouba,
Shawkat and al-As‘ad families, to name a few. The reconstituted business
community, which now included regime officials, close supporters and a
thick sliver of the traditional bourgeoisie, effected a deeper (and, for
the regime, more dangerous) polarization of Syrian society along lines of
income and region.
Successive years of scant rainfall and drought after 2003 produced massive
rural in-migration to the cities -- more than 1 million people had moved by
2009 -- widening the social and regional gaps still further. Major cities,
such as Damascus and Aleppo, absorbed that migration more easily than
smaller ones, which were increasingly starved of infrastructural
investment. Provincial cities like Dir‘a, Idlib, Homs and Hama, along with
their hinterlands, are now the main battlegrounds of the rebellion. Those
living in rural areas have seen their livelihoods gutted by reduction of
subsidies, disinvestment and the effects of urbanization, as well as
decades of corrupt authoritarian rule. The Tunisian and Egyptian uprisings
motivated them to express their discontent openly and together.
There have been no significant defections, however, from the ranks of big
business, at least not in Damascus and Aleppo. It is not just presidential
blood relatives like Makhlouf who have remained loyal. Other major players
hailing from the above families have stood firm by the regime, financing
its orchestrated mass rallies and public relations campaigns, as well as
helping to float the Syrian currency. Most malcontents limit themselves to
spiriting capital out of the country and expressing private wishes for
regime change. Those who do back the uprising do it quietly and extremely
carefully, highlighting the fealty of their counterparts.
The moguls know very well that their fate is bound up with that of the
regime by virtue of intertwined investments and also their years of
self-enrichment at regime behest. To switch sides would thus be an enormous
gamble on the opposition’s forbearance. Big business’ support is not solely
responsible for the regime’s resilience, but it would have been difficult
for the regime to hold out in Damascus and Aleppo had these monied
interests explicitly thrown their lot in with the protesters. The
regime-business alliance took shape over decades, and it is unlikely to
snap until the very last moment. Public defections by big businessmen would
be a fair indicator that the regime’s days are numbered. Until then, all
eyes are on the
battlefield<http://www.merip.org/mer/mer262/syrian-regimes-business-backbone>."
(thanks Laleh)
 Posted by As'ad AbuKhalil

 Bahrain, Syria (and Beyond) Live Coverage: The Conditions for Dialogue
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 6:29
James Miller in Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi, Bahrain, Bahrain Independent
Commission of Inquiry, EA Middle East and Turkey, International Committee
of the Red Cross, Iraq, Jakob Kellenberger, Middle East and Iran, Mohammed
Saleh, Sergei Lavrov

*See also Syria Special: Welcome to Phase Two
Insurgency<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/20/syria-special-welcome-to-phase-two-insurgency.html?tw_p=twt>
Syria Snap Analysis: Deir Ez Zor & Human Rights
Watch<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/20/syria-snap-analysis-deir-ez-zor-human-rights-watch.html>
Turkey Live Coverage (19 March): New Year Celebrations, Clashes, and the
Syria
Crisis<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/19/turkey-live-coverage-19-march-new-year-celebrations-clashes.html?tw_p=twt>
Monday's Syria (and Beyond) Live Coverage: Heavy Fighting in
Damascus?<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/19/syria-and-beyond-live-coverage-heavy-fighting-in-damascus.html?tw_p=twt>
*
------------------------------

2020 GMT: At this late hour, there are new reports of
battles<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=412823485411460&set=a.221856221174855.74557.217848338242310&type=1>between
the Free Syrian Army and regime troops in
Harasta<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=33.579159,36.46225&spn=0.399868,0.727158&iwloc=0004bbb2696f15f3904d2>,
in eastern Damascus. The CFDPC also
reports<http://www.facebook.com/CFDPC/posts/367960166568021>battles in
Irbeen<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=33.579159,36.46225&spn=0.399868,0.727158&iwloc=0004bbb26ffee921e373c>
.

It's going to be another long night in Syria's capital.

1922 GMT: An interesting video, reportedly from
Douma<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=33.509339,36.522675&spn=0.800377,1.454315&iwloc=0004bbad82c73e805ed6e>,
posted by the CFDPC. It appears that the FSA soldiers are trying to scope
out regime positions while remaining hidden. In other words, the FSA
soldiers want to be able to shoot at the Syrian soldiers if needed, but
they are trying to hide so that the regime does not have an excuse to fire.

 Free Damascenes @*CFDPC* <https://twitter.com/CFDPC>

#*Duma* <https://twitter.com/search/%23Duma>
#*Damascus*<https://twitter.com/search/%23Damascus>
#*Syria* <https://twitter.com/search/%23Syria> - 20th mar 2012 arrival of
members of the Free Syrian Army to protect mourners in the Duma...
fb.me/1MlOAhXQZ <http://t.co/KYmV1Kyl>
20 Mar 12 <https://twitter.com/CFDPC/statuses/182175374942277633>

   - ***Reply*<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=182175374942277633>
   - ***Retweet*<https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=182175374942277633>
   -
***Favorite*<https://twitter.com/intent/favorite?tweet_id=182175374942277633>

1817 GMT: Earlier, we posted video of yesterday's
shelling<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/20/bahrain-syria-and-beyond-live-coverage-the-conditions-for-di.html#1631>in
Qa'alat
al
Madiq<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=35.38793,36.596832&spn=0.734439,1.454315&iwloc=0004bbaf390514a520263>,
in Hama province. Now, the LCCS posts this video, a survey of the damage to
the citadel <http://www.facebook.com/LCCSy/posts/328615717187636>, filmed
while sporadic gunfire rings out in the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYYQzwe1iUk&feature=player_embedded

1806 GMT: The UN Human Rights commissioner has criticised the Bahraini
government for what it calls "the use of excessive
force<http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=41586&Cr=Bahrain&Cr1=>"
to quell demonstrations in the streets.:

“The use of tear gas in particular has reportedly resulted in a number of
deaths of protestors and bystanders – and that number has reportedly risen
in recent months,” Rupert Colville, spokesperson for the Office of the UN
High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), told reporters in Geneva.

“Reliable sources indicate that the civilians who died from tear gas
suffered complications from gas inhalation, and that security forces have
been firing metal tear gas canisters from grenade launchers into crowds,”
he added.

The “worrying” reports received by OHCHR of the disproportionate use of
force by Bahraini security forces, include the use of teargas, birdshot
pellets and rubber bullets.

This development is encouraging, as it is the first step towards the
international community taking a hard look at what's going on in Bahrain.
EA Correspondent John Horne notes that the UN commissioner did not mention
allegations that police are attacking entire neighborhoods, not just
protests on the street. However, with most NGOs banned from Bahrain, these
reports are more controversial, so this is the first step towards
international recognition that the Bahraini government is guilty of abuses,
even after the BICI report.

1641 GMT: Students protest
today<http://www.facebook.com/CFDPC/posts/206054169499729>in the
center
of
Midan<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=33.492806,36.294751&spn=0.023478,0.045447&iwloc=0004bbaf5d8dc4abfc479>,
Damascus, a bold daytime protest in one of the oldest areas of the city:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkUS8bxTZMc&feature=player_embedded

1631 GMT: For the 8th day in a row there are reports of heavy shelling of
the Hama town of Qa'alat al
Madiq<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=35.371135,36.603699&spn=0.734592,1.454315&iwloc=0004bbaf390514a520263>.
The videos below seem to confirm the rumors that we heard yesterday, that
helicopters are circling overhead (you can hear them) directing artillery
and tank fire. In one video, smoke rises over the citadel, while homes burn
in the countryside below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ZE98en0uY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMZmY8y9fMg&feature=player_embedded

 There are more reports of shelling there today.

1552 GMT: The Local Coordinating Committees of Syria have sent a "Nowruz"
message, praising the struggles of the Kurdish people and pledging to
support the Kurds in a post-Assad Syria:

Every year in March, the Kurdish people face the spiteful authority of the
Baath Party, which has always used conspiracy, jingoism, and racism to
undermine the rich diversity of our national fabric. The regime attacks the
legitimacy of Kurdish history, and limits Kurds’ eligibility for equal,
democratic, national rights. These are rights that must be in line with the
co‐existence of all components of Syrian society, and in accordance with
the values of justice and equality, so that our national cultural mosaic
may continue to contribute to our rich civilization. We also pay special
tribute to the great sacrifices of the Kurdish people and the invaluable
contributions of their dear sons and daughters in protecting and defending
this nation, and in maintaining its independence. We bow with respect and
honor in memory of the Kurdish martyrs who gave their lives to secure their
rightful and legal citizenship rights in Syria. In particular, we salute
the martyrs of the March 12, 2004 Uprising, who confronted the regime with
bare chests, just as their brothers and sisters are doing today in the
Syrian Revolution against the Mafia regime's machine of repression and
murder . The Kurdish people are legendary in their epic civil resistance
and civil disobedience movement. The entire Syrian nation has looked up to
them in admiration, and it is a historic moment for the Syrian people to
rise together against the oppression and injustice that have long plagued
the Kurdish people as a result of the regime’s policy of continually
denying them their national rights and questioning the legitimacy of their
role in Syria .

1459 GMT: Videos like the one below (which is disturbing) remind us that
this conflict is not just about numbers. The people who are dying have
faces, and names, and many are children:

 Ahmed Al Omran @*ahmed* <https://twitter.com/ahmed>

Awful: 3-year-old Ahmad al-Lazza was reportedly killed when shrapnel hit
his head today in Khaldiyeh, Homs
youtube.com/watch?v=_Oh0vP…<http://t.co/ySBt36EY>

The Khailidiya district, in north-central Homs (see a map of the
city<http://syriamap.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/homs_111115_update.jpg>)
is one of many areas that are still largely controlled by the Free Syrian
Army, and have been heavily shelled for many days on end.

1442 GMT: An activist network with a focus on Damascus shares this picture,
originally declassified by the US
government<http://www.humanrights.gov/2012/03/05/situation-in-syria/>,
showing armored vehicles outside a hospital in
Rankous<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=33.67064,36.489716&spn=0.749743,1.454315&iwloc=0004bbadc03b56efa852e>,
a heavily besieged town north of Damascus (13 March):

The CFDPC also post this video, reportedly showing armored vehicles at
amilitary checkpoint outside the
hospital<http://www.facebook.com/CFDPC/posts/397731133588621>.
Activists claim that the military is denying entry to anyone harmed by the
government shelling, and monitoring patient IDs to see if any are suspected
members of the opposition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DLS3wsrNw&feature=player_embedded

1424 GMT: According to the Local Coordinating Committees, a network of
activists based in Syria, 34 people have been killed
today<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=412612718765870&set=a.221856221174855.74557.217848338242310&type=1>by
security forces, "including two children and two women, fourteen
martyrs
in Homs, eight martyrs in Idlib, five martyrs in Hama, three martyrs in
Damascus Suburbs, and a martyr in each of Damascus, Aleppo, Deir Ezzor and
Lattakia." Perhaps the most inflamatory claim made by the LCCS is that the
Syrian regime raided a field hospital in Idlib, killing 3 members of the
medical
staff<http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=412593282101147&set=a.221856221174855.74557.217848338242310&type=1>
.

The activists also post this video, reportedly showing a regime attack
on Hamidia
section<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=35.142652,36.76506&spn=0.092083,0.181789&iwloc=0004bbad7c0129867edfd>of
Hama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xIIzurvuA&feature=player_embedded

And this video reportedly shows tanks moving into
Douma<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215253448853172848529.0004bbad7bfdef68f982b&msa=0&ll=33.548548,36.367493&spn=0.187702,0.363579&iwloc=0004bbad82c73e805ed6e>,
east of Damascus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyVaXEWqXVg&feature=player_embedded

1345 GMT: James Miller takes over today's live coverage from Scott Lucas,
who has done a fantastic job of getting us through the morning.

I'll start with a comment on the analysis I wrote last night, Syria
Special: Welcome to Phase Two
Insurgency<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/20/syria-special-welcome-to-phase-two-insurgency.html?tw_p=twt>
.

Basically, today's developments in Deir Ez Zor prove that the FSA is
evolving, and the statement from Human Rights Watch has not really told us
anything we don't know - and I still maintain that sectarian violence is a
very small part of the picture in Syria, though there are dangers that as
things get worse it could spread.

*My full analysis can be found here: Syria Snap Analysis: Deir Ez Zor &
Human Rights
Watch<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/20/syria-snap-analysis-deir-ez-zor-human-rights-watch.html>
*

1305 GMT: Claimed footage of security forces firing on a funeral procession
for 15 victims of violence in Douma near the Syrian capital Damascus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r4_6k_wp3v4

1300 GMT: More on the Bahraini regime's presentation of its claimed
reforms....

The Bahrain News Agency posts the
transcript<http://bna.bh/portal/en/news/499716>of the statement by the
head of the National Commission today --- what is
distinctive is what is not said. As an activist
notes<http://www.twitter.com/chanadbh>,
there is no mention of accountability for a single individual involved in
last year's crackdown and reported abuses.

Reuters, in its summary of the
event<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/20/us-bahrain-rights-idUSBRE82J0GT20120320?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FworldNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+International%29>,
chooses this take-away line from King Hamad: "The doors of dialogue have
and continue to be open, We want our people to feel and see the differences
these changes have on their lives. The challenge of the coming months will
be to translate these into tangible, cultural changes."

1100 GMT: The Bahraini regime has held its showpiece
ceremony<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/03/201232095338604841.html>for
a report by the National Commission proclaiming the implementation of
reforms, following November's recommendations of the Bahrain Independent
Commission of Inquiry.

King Hamad hailed the "significant and broad" progress, while an official
of the Information Affairs Authority, Abdelaziz bin Mubarak al-Khalifa put
out the message, “I would say about 90 per cent of the recommendations have
been implemented, It’s been hard. We’ve had to swallow a lot of pride.”

A dedicated
website<http://www.govactions.bh/wps/portal/EgovBICI/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gLAxNHQ093A3f3AEcjA88AQ09DFwtDYwMzY_1wkA4kFf4GRk4GnqZG5sG-weYGzqbGeOVNPE0g8gY4gKOBvp9Hfm6qfkF2dpCFo6IiAMJPQOw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfT0FISUdHRzBHT0Q5OTBJUFAzR0RLNDIwVTU!/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/egov+english+library/egovbici/progress+and+actions+taken/actionslist>has
been set up to hail reforms such as oversight and accountability of
the
security forces.

1055 GMT: Insurgents have withdrawn from Deir Ez
Zor<http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetail_getNewsById.action?newsId=274809>in
northeast Syria in the face of the regime assault.

"Tanks entered residential neighbourhoods, especially in southeastern areas
of Deir al-Zor. The Free Syrian Army pulled out to avoid a civilian
massacre," a statement by the Deir al-Zor Revolution Committees Union said.

Activists also reported regime shelling of residential areas in cities of
Hama and Homs and the nearby town of Rastan, killing at least 10 people.

1015 GMT: Human Rights Watch has written an open
letter<http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/03/19/open-letter-leaders-syrian-opposition>to
the Syrian opposition to "express...concern about increasing
evidence...of kidnappings, the use of torture, and executions by armed
Syrian opposition members" and to "strongly urge" co-operation so "all
opposition members refrain from engaging in these unlawful practices".

Evidence in the letter includes testimonies and video of kidnappings and
executions of regime forces and their supporters.

0955 GMT: Raw footage from
Reuters<http://in.reuters.com/video/2012/03/20/blasts-kills-at-least?videoId=231983084&videoChannel=101>of
today's bombings in Iraq --- at
least 39 people are now reported
dead<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/03/201232055548528660.html>and
at least 188 wounded:

0805 GMT: At least 29 people have been
killed<http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/20/us-iraq-violence-idUSBRE82J06U20120320>and
119 wounded in a series of car and roadside bombings across Iraq
today.

Twin explosions in the holy city of Karbala in the south killed 13 people
and wounded 48. In the northern city of Kirkuk, a car bomb exploded near a
police headquarters, killing seven people and wounding 30, while a suicide
car bomber killed three and wounded 21 in central Baghdad.

Blasts also occurred in Baiji, Samarra, Tuz Khurmato, Daquq, and Dhuluiya,
all north of Baghdad, and Hilla and Latifiya in the south. Police in the
northeastern city of Baquba said they had also found and defused eight
bombs.

0705 GMT: Striking Yemeni airmen have succeeded in pressuring President
Hadi to remove the commander of the air
force<http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jp26B3-E8AwRRCJ3B7g9WhGwUvQA?docId=cce260b987424f54853aa4d7d23600d4>,
according to a statement by the group.

The low-ranking airmen have protested for more than two months for the
dismissal of Maj. Gen. Mohammed Saleh, the half brother of former President
Ali Abdullah Saleh, who stepped down last month.

The air force commander has been in his post for more than 20 years.

The mutiny spread to four different provinces and a number of bases. Airmen
also camped out for weeks near the president's home in the capital.

A military committee comprised of 14 opposition and loyalist generals has
been reviewing reforms for Yemen's security forces.

0700 GMT: With fighting reaching Damascus on Monday, and after the deadly
siege of parts of Homs last month, Russia has backed the Red Cross
call<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/03/201232041855953883.html>for
a daily two-hour humanitarian ceasefire in Syria.

Moscow's demands for an agreement "without delay" by the regime "and all
armed groups who oppose it" followed talks between Red Cross President
Jakob Kellenberger and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Monday.

Russia also called for Red Cross access to "those detained in Syria for
their participation in protests".

0630 GMT: We begin by highlighting Monday's statement by five leading
opposition
societies<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2012/3/19/syria-and-beyond-live-coverage-heavy-fighting-in-damascus.html#1137>in
Bahrain "welcoming any dialogue offering leading to a political
resolution guaranteeing justice and equality and protecting interests of
people from all walks of life in the country".

The declaration follows weeks of tentative discussions between Al Wefaq,
one of the five societies, and members of the regime. The addition of the
other four groups --- Waad, the National Democratic Action Society,
the Nationalist
Democratic Assembly Society, the Alekha National Society, and the National
Democratic Assemblage --- indicates at least a possibility of a wider
negotiation.

At the same time, the societies put firm conditions on any talks. Political
prisoners would have to be freed, unfairly dismissed employees would have
to be reinstated, justice would have to be ensured, and State media would
have to cease "all kinds of political and sectarian agitation".

The discussions would have to include all parties and their members,
including those currently detained, and would have to a clear agenda
including all significant issues.

Now we wait for the regime's response....
Article originally appeared on EA WorldView (http://www.enduringamerica.com/).