Someone inspired by one of the ICH <Information Clearing House> quotes
that several of us share around, found the below article while searching
for more information about the quote, in the sniped portion below:

""As Thomas Jefferson once noted, an informed electorate is the basis for
a sound democracy. But how can the American people and their elected
officials make sound decisions if they aren't given timely, accurate and
useful information?

"The recent accountability failures in the private sector serve to
re-enforce the importance of proper accounting and reporting practices. It
is critically important that such failures not be allowed to occur in the
public sector ... "

Please note, this was written in Jan 2004 regarding dire financial
warnings received in the previous  6 months.

This article gives a better idea of what we get for our complacency, and
trust in the Corporate Media, much less our Corporate representatives in
Washington DC.

None of them have to cover those bills.

Scott

3 Dire Warnings Fall on Deaf Ears!

Martin D. Weiss, Ph.D.
martinonmon...@weissinc.com

01/15/04: (ICH) This weekend, I had a strange dream.

I was many years older than I am today. My graying beard was white; my
hair, mostly gone. I even had two grandchildren - a 12-year-old girl and a
10-year old boy.

We were at home, and it seemed to be the holidays. I was sitting on the
floor, trying to answer the children's inquisitive questions. But there
were too many people around and they were very loud.

So the remaining details of my dream are fuzzy. But after I awoke, I
daydreamed to fill in the blanks ...

WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO US?

My granddaughter of the future was especially gifted and demanding.

She wanted to know why the world had gone downhill so quickly. She
insisted on hearing why all the adults of our time had done absolutely
nothing to stop it.

"Why did you do this to us?" she asked. "Didn't you guys realize that what
you were doing was wrong? Didn't you realize it would lead to big trouble
someday? How could you have been so dumb?"

She pouted. Then she continued, proudly displaying her knowledge of history:

"When Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, all the people of Pompeii died. But
how could they have known? Could they blame the emperor in Rome? Of course
not! The same for Krakatoa in 1883. It exploded. Then came a series of
tidal waves. Thousands of people died. But it was no one's fault. They had
no way of knowing."

As I listened solemnly, she lifted her finger and began wagging it at me -
and at any other adult in the nearby vicinity, declaring:

"But you guys were different. You knew you were screwing things up for us
kids. All kinds of smart people told you that. Those smart people were
making speeches all over the place. They were writing about it in the
newspapers. They even sent their reports to all the presidents of all the
big countries. And what did you guys do? Did you listen to them? No! You
just kept on doing all the wrong things they told you to stop doing."

The room suddenly turned silent, as all the boisterous adults in the room
stopped and turned, listening intently to her every word.

In response, she lowered her voice to a whisper. "They warned you. They
warned you once. They warned you twice. They warned you three times. But
you were all asleep. You were the masters of your house, but you let it
burn down."

DIRE WARNING NUMBER ONE, SEPTEMBER 17, 2003.

The place was the National Press Club in Washington; the occasion, a
monumental, landmark speech by David M. Walker, the Director of the U.S.
General Accounting Office (GAO) and Comptroller General of the United
States.

Its title: "Truth and Transparency: The Federal Government's Financial
Condition and Fiscal Outlook."

His words:

"Importantly, while we are starting off in a financial hole we don't
really have a very good picture of how deep it is.

"Specifically, there are a number of very significant items that are not
currently included as liabilities in the federal government's financial
statements; for example, several trillion dollars in non-marketable
government securities in so-called `Trust Funds.'

"In the case of the Social Security and Medicare Trust Funds, the federal
government took in taxpayer money, spent it on other items and replaced it
with an IOU. Given this fact, why aren't the amounts attributed to such
activities shown as a `liability' of the U.S. Government? At the present
time, they are not! Does this make sense, especially when the government
continues to tell Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries that they can
count on the bonds in these `Trust Funds'? ...

"The current U.S. government liability figures also do not adequately
consider veterans' health care benefit costs provided through the
Department of Veteran's Affairs, nor do they include the difference
between future promised and funded benefits in connection with the Social
Security and Medicare programs.

"These additional amounts total tens of trillions of dollars in discounted
present value terms. Stated differently, they are likely to exceed
$100,000 in additional burden for every man, woman and child in America
today, and these amounts are growing every day ... The burden of paying
for these is not a very nice present for a child born today!

"...[I]n my view, the federal government's current financial statements
and annual reports do not give policymakers and the American people an
adequate picture of our government's overall performance and true
financial condition. This is a serious issue.

"As Thomas Jefferson once noted, an informed electorate is the basis for a
sound democracy. But how can the American people and their elected
officials make sound decisions if they aren't given timely, accurate and
useful information?

"The recent accountability failures in the private sector serve to
re-enforce the importance of proper accounting and reporting practices. It
is critically important that such failures not be allowed to occur in the
public sector ...

"In this regard, earlier this year GAO was unable to express an opinion as
to whether the U.S. Government's consolidated financial statements were
fairly stated for a sixth consecutive year. I can assure you that the U.S.
Government will not receive an opinion on its financial statements from
the GAO until it earns one!

"... It's true that deficits are understandable and sometimes necessary in
times of recession and/or war. However, while it may not seem like it to
those who are out of work or underemployed, we have not been in a
recession for almost two years. In addition, the current and projected
deficits far exceed the costs associated with Iraq, the global war against
terrorism and any incremental homeland security costs.

"The bottom line is, there is little question that deficits do matter,
especially if they are large, structural and recurring in nature. In
addition, our projected budget deficits are not `manageable' without
significant changes in `status quo' programs, policies, processes and
operations ...

"In less than 10 years, due primarily to the retirement of the baby boom
generation, the United States will be hit by a huge demographic tidal wave
that is not expected to ever recede! This is unprecedented in the history
of our nation ...

"We cannot simply grow our way out of this problem ... The ultimate
alternatives to definitive and timely action are not only unattractive,
they are arguably infeasible.

"Specifically, raising taxes to levels far in excess of what the American
people have ever supported before, cutting total federal spending by
unthinkable amounts, or further mortgaging the future of our children and
grandchildren to an extent that our economy, our competitive posture and
the quality of life for Americans would be seriously threatened ...

"While many members of Congress and other key policymakers and opinion
leaders agree that we have a major fiscal challenge that must be dealt
with, many do not want to talk about it publicly. Many believe that we
will ultimately act to address this imbalance, but when will we start?
Other nations have already started to address their long-range imbalances.
When will we?"

This first warning was largely ignored. It was posted on the GAO's
website, at www.gao.gov. It was broadcast on C-SPAN. But beyond that, no
one talked about it. There were no editorials in the Wall Street Journal.
No op-ed pieces in the New York Times.

DIRE WARNING NUMBER TWO, JANUARY 4, 2004

The occasion - a joint session of the American Economic Foundation (AEF)
and the North American Economics and Finance Association (NEAFA). The
presenters - Robert E. Rubin, former secretary of the Treasury; Peter R.
Orszag, senior fellow at Brookings Institution; and Allen Sinai, Chief
Global Economist at Decision Economics, Inc.

Their topic: "Sustained Budget Deficits: Longer-Run U.S. Economic
Performance and the Risk of Financial and Fiscal Disarray." Their own
words:

"The U.S. federal budget is on an unsustainable path. In the absence of
significant policy changes, federal government deficits are expected to
total around $5 trillion over the next decade. Such deficits will cause
U.S. government debt, relative to GDP, to rise significantly.

"Thereafter, as the baby boomers increasingly reach retirement age and
claim Social Security and Medicare benefits, government deficits and debt
are likely to grow even more sharply. The scale of the nation's projected
budgetary imbalances is now so large that the risk of severe adverse
consequences must be taken very seriously, although it is impossible to
predict when such consequences may occur ...

"The adverse consequences of sustained large budget deficits may well be
far larger and occur more suddenly than traditional analysis suggests,
however. Substantial deficits projected far into the future can cause a
fundamental shift in market expectations and a related loss of confidence
both at home and abroad. The unfavorable dynamic effects that could ensue
are largely if not entirely excluded from the conventional analysis of
budget deficits.

"This omission is understandable and appropriate in the context of
deficits that are small and temporary; it is increasingly untenable,
however, in an environment with deficits that are large and permanent.

"Substantial ongoing deficits may severely and adversely affect
expectations and confidence, which in turn can generate a self-reinforcing
negative cycle among the underlying fiscal deficit, financial markets, and
the real economy:

" * As traders, investors, and creditors become increasingly concerned
that the government would resort to high inflation to reduce the real
value of government debt or that a fiscal deadlock with unpredictable
consequences would arise, investor confidence may be severely undermined;

" * The fiscal and current account imbalances may also cause a loss of
confidence among participants in foreign exchange markets and in
international credit markets, as participants in those markets become
alarmed not only by the ongoing budget deficits but also by related large
current account deficits;

" * The loss of investor and creditor confidence, both at home and abroad,
may cause investors and creditors to reallocate funds away from
dollar-based investments, causing a depreciation of the exchange rate, and
to demand sharply higher interest rates on U.S. government debt;

" * The increase of interest rates, depreciation of the exchange rate, and
decline in confidence can reduce stock prices and household wealth, raise
the costs of financing to business, and reduce private-sector domestic
spending;

" * The disruptions to financial markets may impede the intermediation
between lenders and borrowers that is vital to modern economies, as
long-maturity credit markets witness potentially substantial increases in
interest rates and become relatively illiquid, and the reduction in asset
prices adversely affects the balance sheets of banks and other financial
intermediaries;

" * The inability of the federal government to restore fiscal balance may
directly reduce business and consumer confidence, as the view of the
ongoing deficits as a symbol of the nation's inability to address its
economic problems permeates society, and the reduction in confidence can
discourage investment and real economic activity;

" * These various effects can feed on each other to create a mutually
reinforcing cycle; for example, increased interest rates and diminished
economic activity may further worsen the fiscal imbalance, which can then
cause a further loss of confidence and potentially spark another round of
negative feedback effects.

"Although it is impossible to know at what point market expectations about
the nation's large projected fiscal imbalance could trigger these types of
dynamics, the harmful impacts on the economy, once these effects were in
motion, would substantially magnify the costs associated with any given
underlying budget deficit and depress economic activity much more than the
conventional analysis would suggest ..."

This warning, like the GAO's warning in September, was also posted on the
Web (at http://www.brook.edu/views/papers/orszag/20040105.htm).

But unlike the previous warning, it WAS picked up by the press, in an
op-ed column in the New York Times, by Paul Krugman, on January 6,
entitled "Rubin Gets Shrill."

Krugman writes: "Argentina retained the confidence of international
investors almost to the end of the 1990's. Analysts shrugged off its large
budget and trade deficits; business-friendly, free-market policies would,
they insisted, allow the country to grow out of all that. But when
confidence collapsed, that optimism proved foolish. Argentina, once a
showpiece for the new world order, quickly became a byword for economic
catastrophe.

"So what? Those of us who have suggested that the irresponsibility of
recent American policy may produce a similar disaster have been dismissed
as shrill, even hysterical. (Hey, the market's up, isn't it?)

"But few would describe Robert Rubin, the legendary former Treasury
secretary, as hysterical: His ability to stay calm in the face of crises,
and reassure the markets, was his greatest asset. And Mr. Rubin has
formally joined the coalition of the shrill ...

"The point made by Mr. Rubin ... is that the traditional immunity of
advanced countries like America to third-world-style financial crises
isn't a birthright.

"Financial markets give us the benefit of the doubt only because they
believe in our political maturity - in the willingness of our leaders to
do what is necessary to rein in deficits, paying a political cost if
necessary. And in the past that belief has been justified. Even Ronald
Reagan raised taxes when the budget deficit soared ...

"If this kind of fecklessness goes on, investors will eventually conclude
that America has turned into a third world country, and start to treat it
like one. And the results for the U.S. economy won't be pretty."

DIRE WARNING NUMBER THREE, JANUARY 7, 2004

Until January 6, some might accuse the authors of these dire warnings of
political partisanship. Although they profess neutrality, this IS, after
all, a political election year. So almost everything and anything that
comes out of the mouths of any opinion-maker in this environment is
naturally suspect.

But no one, not even in his wildest of dreams could raise such questions
regarding the International Monetary Fund - the IMF.

The IMF is not partisan. And even if it were, it would tend to be partisan
in FAVOR of the United States, its government, and its current political
leaders - not against them.

But the IMF's words and data confirm and reconfirm the earlier warnings,
almost verbatim:

"U.S. government finances have experienced a remarkable turnaround in
recent years. Within only a few years, hard-won gains of the previous
decade have been lost and, instead of budget surpluses, deficits are again
projected as far as the eye can see. The deterioration has not been
restricted to the federal budget but has also taken place at the state and
local government levels. As a result, the U.S. general government deficit
is now among the highest in the industrialized world ...

"[T]he return to large deficits raises two interrelated concerns. First,
with budget projections showing large federal fiscal deficits over the
next decade, the recent emphasis on cutting taxes, boosting defense and
security outlays, and spurring an economic recovery may come at the
eventual cost of upward pressure on interest rates, a crowding out of
private investment, and an erosion of longer-term U.S. productivity
growth.

"Second, the evaporation of fiscal surpluses has left the budget even less
well prepared to cope with the retirement of the baby boom generation,
which will begin later this decade and place massive pressure on the
Social Security and Medicare systems. Without the cushion provided by
earlier surpluses, there is less time to address these programs'
underlying insolvency before government deficits and debt begin to
increase unsustainably ..."

Again, the information was picked up by the media, this time appearing on
the FRONT page of the New York Times of January 8, under the glaring
headline "IMF SAYS U.S. DEBT A THREAT TO THE WORLD."

No one could ignore the warnings any more. No one could say "they didn't
know."

CAKE OR CRUMBS?

In my dream, I had no excuse to give my grandchildren. We sacrificed their
future for our present. We got fat and never wanted to diet. We were
indeed masters of our house, but we were fast asleep.

We thought debt was wealth. But we were wrong.

We thought we could defy the laws of nature and get away with it. We were
wrong.

Even the market tried to teach us a lesson, slapping us down in 2000, 2001
and 2002. But we thought the market was "just kidding," and we were wrong
again.

We thought we could have our cake and eat it, too. But in the end, all we
got was crumbs.

Like December of 2003, when each of the 50 states in the Union produced an
average total of just 20 new jobs. Not thousands! Not hundreds! Just
twenty.

"I'm sorry." I said to my granddaughter at last, with as much empathy as I
possibly could muster.

Her response was not exactly heartwarming: "I'll never forgive you for
this. Not for the rest of my life."

Good luck and God bless you (and us all!)

Martin D. Weiss, Ph.D. martinonmon...@weissinc.com