*PLANET IN PERIL FROM CORPORATE GREED AT ANY COST

*
**
*"We may have already passed the tipping points on global warming, say
scientists at the Planet Under Pressure conference. At the London
conference, scientists are giving a bleak view of the future of the
planet due to catastrophic damage and growth by humans, saying we are
close to the irreversible point of global warming," begins a piece at
/Common Dreams/ <http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/03/27-5> this
morning.*
**
*NATIONAL PENTAGON RADIO

*
**
*Glenn Greenwald outs /NPR/
<http://www.salon.com/2012/03/27/what_npr_means_by_reporting/singleton/>
for its National Security State spin this morning in a piece titled
"What NPR means by 'reporting.'"
*
**
*THE NATIONAL OCCUPATION OF WASHINGTON

*
**
*While we are asking everyone who can to join /LUV News/ Friday at noon
for the march to the Environmental Protection Agency to kick off the
American Spring of the Occupy Movement in DC, in the month following
there will be a great many events
<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=wooxt9n6&v=001JO9rJ3gjxX6fgX1ibKZTdBp0AFsC9ZDr2Ehoai-eD3mzS6smayvvgvLwiwVlzb-rlepLFrAsXgqPf3qrN-mOIGRlKz5e2wFqkeR97aq0JTY%3D>
to attend in DC, and we encourage participation in all of them, for
whoever can find the time.
*
**

**Trayvon Martin is being tried in the mass media.  The man who murdered
him is talking loudly on all of the "news" programs, widely spinning
that he was the victim.  I rarely see the mass media report any news
story responsibly these days, so this is not a surprise.

What angers us, at /LUV News/, is that we don't get to hear Trayvon's
side of it.  Up to now I've tried to keep an open mind, hoping, despite
my lack of belief in what is euphemistically called our "system of
justice," that justice might somehow win out.

In the 1960's I traveled extensively through the South, participated in
the Black civil rights movement, and often found myself in frightening
situations.  If any Black teen had been shot, in those days, I would
have assumed it was an act of racism-- it was so common.  Racists
considered people like me to be their enemy, and I stepped lightly
around them, knowing they could go off and shoot me at any time for my
beliefs.

My first thought when I heard about what happened to Trayvon was "I had
hoped this was ending."  I agree with John Eskow's opinion piece,
following, that however this happened, justice is not being served by
the police or the mass media  --Jack

**

**The Smear is On**

****

**The Second Killing of Trayvon Martin
**

**
**

****

**by JOHN ESKOW**

****

****

**The cowardly police in Sanford, Florida, who sanctioned the murder of
an unarmed black teenager by a racist vigilante named George Zimmerman,
have now assassinated Trayvon Martin a second time, by leaking
scurrilous and irrelevant "news" about him.  This age-old dirty-trick of
cops---compounded by a blitzkrieg of propaganda from Zimmerman's lawyer,
The Orlando Sentinel, and one apparently unhinged black "friend"--has
been, so far, fairly successful in muddying the narrative on the public
airwaves.  So let's take a moment to sift through the cops' slurs and
innuendoes and see where, if anyplace, they take us.**

**About the salient facts there is no dispute.  Zimmerman, a cop
wanna-be who was also probably a small-time informant, a pathetic,
chubby, Chaz-Bono-lookalike who'd twice been arrested for hitting a
woman;   Zimmerman, son of a judge, safe from reprisals; George
Zimmerman, who calls black kids "coons" and "assholes," who was strictly
warned not to pursue Trayvon Martin,  refused this direct order over the
phone and instead grabbed his 9-millimeter gun and waddled off to blow a
hole in the chest of a kid who had committed no wrong.**

**From the  start, I was edgy about certain elements of the outrage.
Too much emphasis on the presumed childishness and vulnerability of
Trayvon Martin, about the Skittles and ski-vacations and his undeniable
cuteness.  My own son is only six months younger than Trayvon, and he is
of mixed racial background, with a tawny complexion; he always wears a
hoodie with the hood up, along with other clothes some would perceive as
"ghetto"; he is 6'1" and very well-muscled; and he loves Skittles.  He
is also, by objective account, adorable and kind-hearted.  But if some
oafish vigilante were to challenge his right to walk down the street, he
might well become angry, and he might defend himself with a punch.**

**Thus today's biggest, police-leaked "reveleation": that, gee, perhaps
Trayvon Martin was not Mahatma Ghandi with a sweet-tooth.  According to
the cops---parroting  Zimmerman's own account, since of course they did
absolutely no forensic work of their own (CSI Sanford would be the worst
and shortest program on TV)---Martin punched Zimmerman in the face,
breaking his nose...thus, of course, provoking his own murder.
**

**Let's take this face-punching story at face value, though few of the
details ring true (Zimmerman refused medical attention at the scene,
which will confuse anyone who's ever suffered a broken nose).  Though it
is not noble or Christian of me to admit it, I hope Trayvon got a few
good shots in.  The big irony here is the much-cited "Stand Your Ground
Law," quoted as a defense for Zimmerman's actions; but if the phrase and
the concept have any meaning at all, they would, rather, go to justify
Trayvon Martin's punches!
**

**So let's assume a scenario where George Zimmerman, with the "fucking
coon" still fresh out of his mouth, stomps off to play tough-guy with
the "asshole" in the hoodie, and winds up getting punked in a fight he
picked but can't finish.  Any man who lived through public high school
knows George Zimmerman, and may well have had occasion to kick his ass.
But, until fairly recently, the George Zimmermans of the world did not
carry nine-millimeter guns.
**

**And so hateful, dopey, clumsy George Zimmerman pulled his trump card,
his one and only answer to a world that scares and overwhelms him, and
shot a hole in Trayvon Martin's chest.
**

**The other piece of the cop/Zimmerman leak-strategy today was to drop
the supposedly Perry Mason revelation that...this supposedly "good" kid,
Trayvon Martin...had been suspended from high school...for possessing an
empty bag that had once held marijuana!
**

**Yeah...so, America, how do you like your Trayvon Martin now?  He may
have smoked weed!
**

**The assumption being, in Sanford, Florida, that possession of an empty
bag that once held marijuana is reasonable grounds for murder.
**

**Let us not impose a false and un-necessary innocence on Trayvon Martin
in order to pump up our outrage.  Let's allow Trayvon Martin to be a
real young man---my son, your son--with anger as well as innocence,
perhaps even with marijuana as well as Skittles.
**

**George Zimmerman did not murder some idealized vision of Innocent
Black Childhood, or any other idealized vision.  No, worse---much
worse.  He murdered a real 17-year-old.  And now, with the help of the
local newspaper and a shyster lawyer, the cops are killing that
17-year-old a second time.**

**http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/03/27/the-second-killing-of-trayvon-martin/**

**John Eskow is a writer and musician. He wrote or co-wrote the movies
Air America, The Mask of Zorro, and Pink Cadillac, as well as the novel
Smokestack Lightning. He can be reached at: johnes...@yahoo.com**

****

****
to participate*
**
*email: libert...@hotmail.com*
**
*Tell your friends about /LUV News/ because some people just don't get it*