Another article about the DLC hijacking and discarding the Democratic
Principals of the Democratic Party, and why their rapid rightward march
requires you and I, BLIND partyline loyalty, or it would never succeed.

Scott

*All Politics is Local*

*Democratic Party's Abandonment of the Core*

*By*

*Rodolfo F. Acuña*

**

*The fitness exercise pilates, from my limited understanding of the
exercise method, works on the principle of developing "a strong core or
center (tones abdominals while strengthening the back), and improving
coordination and balance." The principle fascinates me because it can be
applied to almost any endeavor. *

**

*For example, when San Jose State Chicano professors approached me in
1969 with a plan to start a Mexican American Studies program at the
Master of Arts level, I responded that I did not believe that a MAS
graduate program could grow without a solid undergraduate degree. My
thinking was that "a strong core or center" had to be developed to allow
for the coordination and balance of a large program.*

**

*The core's abdominal muscles are the masses of students. The only
programs that are subsidized in the higher education are those blessed
by the institution.Logical persuasion would not develop a discipline or
method to educate neglected sectors of society. You needed bodies to
build the core.*

**

*I have applied this principle to politics. Unless you have bundles of
money such as the case of Republicans and you can buy elections, Mexican
Americans and Latinos are not going to bring about changes in the
political arena. A strong core is essential for coordination and balance
to leverage this outcome. *

**

*The building of the political core does not depend as much on
individual political activism as it does on the core, which is not built
by electing Latino elected officials. You can have progressive
representatives such as Arizona Congressman Raul Grijalva but his power
although concentrated at the core can easily be isolated by the system.*

**

*In many ways Grijalva is an aberration, elected in an island of Mexican
American and white liberal constituents. Even so he has problems raising
political capital and he has organized successful re-election campaigns
despite the Democratic National Committee whose main purpose is keeping
control of the White House.*

**

*I learned this lesson in 1996. Two years before the presidential
election, we organized a highly successful anti-187, the anti-immigrant
proposition, march. This was the first time that over a hundred thousand
Latinos took the streets of L.A. It gave us a feeling of power and many
activists wanted to replicate it in 1996 in opposition to Proposition
227, the anti-affirmative action ballot measure.*

**

*Word came down that what was important was to get Bill Clinton
re-elected to the White House. The California Democratic Party then
proceeded to dry up funds for the march, badly dividing community
activists and Latino politicos. *

*We never recovered and it carried over to 1998 in the fight against
227, the proposition to eliminate bilingual education. The gigantic
marches were not revived until the second half of the next decade when
the core was re-energized by youth and immigrants that had been
politicized by 187 and by sporadic school walkouts throughout the L.A.
basin. Youth could not be channeled like community organizations and
labor that looked to Latino politicos for leadership and funds. *

**

*Thus, the core never developed muscle or balance and it remained
dependent of the political establishment and the media.*

**

*Based on my experience I have found the core in Arizona worse off than
California. The state has been kidnapped by the Republican Party with
the Democratic Party leaders concentrating on keeping the White House.
The rationale is "things could really get bad if Romney gets in the
White House," which is true unless you figure that things are already
bad and the White House is not doing anything about it. *

**

*The Arizona experience is a valuable case study. It explains why in
Mississippi where the black population numbers over a million and makes
up 37 percent of the state has only one black congressman out of four.*

**

*If the Democratic National Committee would have channeled funds into
Mississippi and other southern state with sizeable black populations
undoubtedly the core would be stronger. *

**

*In Arizona where almost a third of the state is Latino, only two of
eight congressmen are Mexican American. The Tucson Unified School
District is upwards of 60 percent Latino but has two of five board
members (really one). *

**

*You would think that there would be concern on the part National
Democratic Party and that it would spearhead a restructuring of the
Arizona Democratic Party to reflect its presumed progressive agenda
versus that of Tea Party Republicans. *

**

*But it ain't so. The strategy of the DNC has been to support Blue Dog
Democrats who have sold out on the issues of the economy, immigration
and the struggle to save Mexican American Studies in Tucson. In the
process, racism has become constitutional in Arizona. *

**

*The wrongheaded strategy of the past is repeated. Everything is
justified if Barack Obama is re-elected.It doesn't matter that he has
been mute on the Minutemen assassination of nine year old Bresenia
Flores and that his Justice Department has been mute about enforcing the
U.S. Constitution vis-à-vis enforcement of desegregation orders. This,
according to the DNC strategy, will be rectified by making the Arizona
Democratic Party more conservative and even vote with Republicans. *

**

*According to this wrongheaded strategy, it will make Obama look more
palatable to right wingers.*

**

*Consequently, the Democratic Party core in Arizona is so flabby that it
stands for nothing. The failure to develop the political core of the
Arizona Mexican American is glaring. *

**

*Presently, a well-qualified and intelligent candidate is running for
Arizona's First Congressional District. Wenona Baldenegro is a Harvard
trained attorney.A Navajo with strong ties to the Native American and
Mexican American communities, she represents the best in those groups.
Instead of supporting Wenona, the national party is supporting a
reactionary Blue Dog Democrat with Tea Party ties and is actively
working to sabotage her candidacy by pressuring donors not to fund her
campaign.*

**

*Another example of the weakening of the core is the federal courts
appointment of special master Willis D. Hawley to oversee the
controversy over HB 2281 and the elimination of the highly successful
Mexican American Studies Program. Without a core Mexican Americans have
been unable to check the coopting of Hawley who knows absolutely nothing
about the education of Mexican American children.*

**

*I make this criticism only after of months of patient waiting. I did
not want my biases toward multi-culturists to in anyway affect the
outcome. Blame my Catholic school training and its belief in redemption.*

**

*However, my fifty years in academe have hardened my opinion toward
multiculturalists who range from friendly touchy feely people to
arrogant academics. *

**

*Some are good scholars. They want a better society. But, many think
that they know more about what is good for minorities than minorities
themselves. *

**

*I have had to fight them in committees because they failed to see the
necessity for Chicanos to determine their own pedagogies. Consequently,
they have undermined Chicana/o and African American Studies programs
because they see no need for them to build their cores. *

**

*If you want a Chicano, African American or an Asian American center,
their solution is, let's save money and throw you all into a
multi-cultural center. *

**

*Self-determination is not a nationalist demand; it is the aspiration of
every living person. Communities should determine their futures and the
role of political parties is not to manipulate them but to strengthen them.*

**

*Perhaps if our political cores were stronger, the Democratic Party
would not sell us out as in Arizona and other states. *

**

*With this said, like in the days of the Romans, we don't have to worry.
Our cores will get fat and flabby as we get free bread and circuses
during Cinco de Mayo. People will celebrate it without knowing its
historical message which was that Mexico was not open to foreign
colonialism and that the separation of church and state was the law of
the land. *

**

*But, this is too much exercise. Too much to think about. Let's bring on
the beer; enjoy the jarabe tapatio; and let the mariachis blare. Enjoy
the smiling politicos and the Obamas talk about how Americans are
exceptional. *