----- Forwarded Message ----
From: CURB <i...@curbprisonspending.org>
To: antiracistaction...@yahoo.com
Sent: Fri, June 8, 2012 5:46:51 PM
Subject: URGENT ACTION: 2 Calls to Stop $1.3 Billion For Prisons & Jail Beds

URGENT ACTION: 2 Calls to Stop $1.3 Billion For Prisons & Jail Beds

CALIFORNIANS UNITED FOR A RESPONSIBLE BUDGET(CURB)
 Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

CALL TODAY!

Stop California
from Wasting Hundreds of Millions on New Prison & Jail Beds
Good news: It seems like our calls to the public safety budget subcommittees
have been having a big impact.  Two calls this morning could create a unified
voice from the corrections budget subcommittees against new prison and jail
construction!

Thanks to our pressure, Gilbert Cedillo (Los Angeles), the chair of the
Assembly
corrections budget subcommittee wants to strike $810 million for new prison
beds
and $500 million for new jail beds from the budget.  Now, Loni Hancock (East
Bay), the chair of the Senate public safety committee, is wavering on the beds,
too.   The subcommittees will need to come to agreement to make recommendations
to the full budget committee. Let’s make sure they agree to stop all these beds!

Call and email Senator Hancock and tell her: “(I’m a constituent from WHERE YOU
LIVE and) I am disappointed that the senate corrections budget subcommittee
approved the corrections master plan including $810 million for new prison
infill beds.  I also strongly oppose the $500 million for new jail beds. We
need
a prison and jail moratorium now!”

Call and email Assemblymember Cedillo and tell him: “(I’m a constituent from
WHERE YOU LIVE and) I am calling to thank Assemblymember Cedillo for his strong
stand against new prison and jail beds and for pushing to expand medical parole
in this year’s budget. We need a prison and jail moratorium now!”

Gilbert Cedillo - Chair Los Angeles, Alhambra, Maywood, San Marino, Vernon, and
South Pasadena. (916) 319-2045

Loni Hancock - Chair Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Castro Valley, Dublin, El
Sobrante, Emeryville, Livermore, Oakland, Piedmont, Richmond, and San Pablo.
(916) 651-4009 2.    Spread the Word
Forward this email, share this link on your Facebook wall and your friend’s
walls, and repost from our Twitter!

Stop the Cages. Stop the Cuts. We need a Budget for Humanity.

In Solidarity,

Emily Harris, Statewide Coordinator for CURB

New to the CURB Action List?Thank you for signing up to join our action list by
signing a "Build Strong Communities Not Prisons and Jails" postcard.

CURB is a statewide alliance of over 50 organizations working to curb prison
spending by reducing the number of people in prison and the number of prisons
in
California.

Our current campaign is titled the Budget for Humanity, which calls for an
immediate end to all prison and jail expansion, reductions to the prison and
jail populations, progressive revenue measures, and strong reinvestment in
life-affirming programs like education, healthcare, housing, job training and
transportation. The Budget for Humanity is also calling for the cancellation of
the notorious Assembly Bill 900, which authorized $7.4 billion in prison
construction funding in 2007 without any voter approval.

To learn more about CURB or our campaign please check-our our website at
www.curbprisonspending.org
  Postcard Campaign
CURB has set a statewide goal of getting at least 5,000 postcards signed.
Please return all signed postcards to the CURB office at 1322 Webster #210,
Oakland CA 94612 by:
        * June 25th – before the deadline for the Governor to sign the budget,
July 1.
Send postcard requests to em...@curbprisonspending.org (please include your
address)!  Recent News Coverage:
Supes Suggest Light, Airy New Jail Designs, South San Francisco Patch 6/6/12
County ready to plan jail, Daily Journal 6/5/12
Viewpoints: Fear mongers were wrong about prison system’s ‘realignment’,
Sacramento Bee 5/29/12
State needs to stop building more prisons, Oakland Tribune LTE 5/23/12
Editorial: Behind the barbed wire of California’s prisons, Los Angeles Times
5/23/12

 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

Our mailing address is:
1322 Webster #210, Oakland CA 94612

Our Website is:
www.curbprisonspending.org

 unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences

Sent to antiracistaction...@yahoo.com — why did I get this?
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences
Californians United for a Responsible Budget · 1322 Webster#210 · Oakland, CA
94612