ALBA countries reject resolution against  Syria

07.06.2012

_http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/07-06-2012/121341-alba_syria-0/_
(http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/07-06-2012/121341-alba_syria-0/)

The representatives, of the Bolivarian Alternative for the Peoples of  Our
Americas (ALBA), before the United Nations Human Rights Council,  rejected
the draft resolution being discussed in the extraordinary session  convened
this Friday.

ALBA countries reject the draft resolution  against Syria at the UN

"The project resolution reflects the claims  of those interfering in the
internal affairs of Syria, without contributing  to dialogue or the search
for peace," the representative, on behalf of the  Governments of Bolivia,
Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua and Venezuela was quoted as  stating.

During their participation in the session, ALBA said the project  "lacks
balance and sets a negative precedent for genuine cooperation on  human
rights that should underpin the work of this Council."

The ALBA  countries expressed that they do not share that "regrettable acts
are  committed, and under the supposed pretext of protecting of human life,
and  are the pretext for foreign intervention. We make an urgent call for
the
mmediate cessation of violence by all parties in Syria."

"We  reiterate our solidarity with the Syrian government and people in  this
difficult situation they face. We are concerned that it is happening  again,
the same procedure applied for interference by foreign powers in Libya  are
being repeated," they remarked.

Moreover, they expressed concern  "over the loss of innocent lives anywhere
in the world and strongly condemn  the murder of over 100 people (in Houla),
mostly women and  children."

In this sense, ALBA's statement urges the start of "an  exhaustive
investigation of these crimes and it requires that the  perpetrators are
brought to justice."

"We appreciate the steps the  government of Syria is taking in its attention
to the legitimate demands of  those who express them peacefully (...) and
the
program of reforms carried  out, besides their willingness to implement the
peace plan of Kofi Annan,"  ALBA confirmed.

They also expressed their confidence in the Syrian people  to solve their
problems without foreign interference "which would cause  serious
consequences for world peace, especially in the Middle East  region."

"We reiterate the importance of respecting the sovereignty,  territorial
integrity and self-determination that the Syrian people are  entitled to,"
said the text.

The UN issued a condemnation of the  Government of Bashar al-Assad and a
complaint to the Security Council "to  consider referring the case to the
International Criminal Court  (ICC)."

Kang added that the international community "must put its full  weight
behind
the peace plan" of Kofi Annan, because "otherwise the situation  in Syria
can
deteriorate into a conflict and put in grave danger the  country's future,
as
well as the entire region."

Translated from the  Spanish version by:

Lisa Karpova

Pravda.Ru

Peace  NO War Network
War is NOT the Answer!_  http://www.PeaceNOWar.net_
(http://www.peacenowar.net/)

National Immigrant  Solidarity Network _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
Action LA Network _http://www.ActionLA.org_ (http://www.actionla.org/)
Peace NO War  Network _http://www.PeaceNOWar.net_
(http://www.peacenowar.net/)
Activist Video Service _http://www.ActivistVideo.org_
(http://www.activistvideo.org/)

New York: (212)330-8172
Los Angeles:  (213)403-0131
Washington D.C.: (202)595-8990
Chicago:  (773)942-2268

Please join the Peace NO War news litserv, send  e-mail to:
_peacenowar-subscribe@lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:peacenowar-subscr...@lists.riseup.net)

Please consider making a donation to the important work of Peace NO  War
Network, Action LA Network, National Immigrant Solidarity  Network

Send check pay to:
Action LA Network/AFGJ

Action  LA Network
P.O. Box 751