http://quotha.net/blog/1

 URGENT ACTION: Violent Eviction Ongoing in Cortés (from Karen
Spring)<http://quotha.net/node/2303>Tue,
06/12/2012 - 10:45 — AP

This morning approximately 300-400 military, police and private security
guards violently evicted 1,500 families in San Manuel, Cortes. The security
forces destroyed the community's food supply including 70 manzanas of corn
and their houses. I just spoke with a very panicked campesino leader
roughly 30 minutes ago and he said that many are still hidden as the
security forces are still on site.

   - AP's blog <http://quotha.net/blog/1>

URGENT ACTION: Violent Eviction Ongoing in Cortés (from Karen Spring)
Tue, 06/12/2012 - 10:45 — AP

This morning approximately 300-400 military, police and private security
guards violently evicted 1,500 families in San Manuel, Cortes. The security
forces destroyed the community's food supply including 70 manzanas of corn
and their houses. I just spoke with a very panicked campesino leader
roughly 30 minutes ago and he said that many are still hidden as the
security forces are still on site.

There are detained campesin@s including elderly people and there are people
that are injured but no one can seem to confirm how many. It is unclear how
many have been detained but from what I have been able to gather, they
believe they were taken to the Metropolitana station in San Pedro Sula.

Please call the police station and ask how many are detained, what are the
charges, etc. I have been unable to get through as the line is busy but
given the urgency of the situation, I thought I would send out the alert.

Metropolitana Police Station in SPS: 2552-3171
Police Operator (Regional but located in SPS): 2556-5188
At least 21 campesinos and campesinas captured in a new eviction of the
Campesino Movement of San Manuel Cortes MOCSAM
Tue, 06/12/2012 - 20:44 — AP

English translation of the bulletin from Los Necios by Vicki Cervantes,
with an updated report from Via Campesina on the eviction in San Manuel
this morning:

At least 21 campesinos and campesinas captured in a new eviction of the
Campesino Movement of San Manuel Cortes MOCSAM

June 12, 2012 at 6:30 a.m. a powerful contingent of police and military
brutally evicted the Campesino Movement of San Manuel Cortes (MOCSAM)
located about 250 kilometers from the captial in northern Honduras, the
campesino group entered the land recuperation process last April 17 and to
date have been displaced on three occasions.

As a result of the brutal eviction carried out this June 12 the detention
of at least 21 people is reported, 18 women. All were immediately
transferred to the police station Ballena located in San Pedro Sula in the
north of the country.
Since last April 17, the campesino group made up of 1500 families has been
in struggle for the lands, gathered in a camp located in the same lands
which was destroyed today in a brutal eviction; some 100 manzanas of
cultivated corn was also destroyed.

It is worth noting that the judge, Jose Antonio Barahona, some days before
had issued arrest warrants for 7 campesino leaders of the group and
yesterday over a period of two hours issued an order for the group to
evicted today early in the morning, without giving the defense representing
the campesinos any chance to use its legal resources to challenge and avoid
this barbarity.

Below are some of the names of the men and women detained today by the
police and military in the eviction of the campesino group MOCSAM:
Cintia Medina Palma, Besly Jazmín Munguía Amaya, Brígida Cruz, Gisela
Perdomo Pineda, Elena Borjas, Marisela Espinoza Matute, Marcos Oralia Díaz,
Eda Fermili pacheco, Ángela Orellana, maría Reyes Vargas, Arely Romero,
Macaria Vásquez García, Alma Nelly Pineda, Maria Gómez Sandoval, Victoria
Alejandra Sagastume (de 15 años) y Gonzalo Leiva, José Luis Déras, Pablo
Leiva.

>From Communications La Via Campesina Honduras
------------------------------
 Get Your Member of Congress to Sign Letter About LGBT Killings in
Honduras<http://quotha.net/node/2302>Tue,
06/12/2012 - 08:50 — AP

Get Your Member of Congress to Sign Letter About LGBT Killings in
Honduras<http://rightsaction.org/action-content/get-your-member-congress-sign-letter-about-lgbt-killings-honduras>

Dear friends in the U.S., you have until Wednesday, June 20, to get your
member of congress to sign on! Please write your own message, and send it -
with a copy of this information, below, to your own Member of Congress,
urging them to sign on this "Dear Colleague" letter.

   - AP's blog <http://quotha.net/blog/1>
   -
   - Read more <http://quotha.net/node/2302>

 Tyler Shipley: Soccer, Imperialism, and Resistance in
Honduras<http://quotha.net/node/2301>Mon,
06/11/2012 - 07:38 — AP

Click title for original on the new Left Hook Journal:

Posted on June 7, 2012
Soccer, Imperialism, and Resistance in
Honduras<http://lefthookjournal.wordpress.com/>
Tyler Shipley

Never let them tell you it’s ‘just a game.’ Much is on the line, as the
Canadian and Honduran national soccer teams prepare for their World Cup
Qualifying match on June 12 in Toronto, but the real stories that animate
this match are taking place a long way from BMO Field.

Just ask Honduras’ most famed footballer – once a local star with Toronto
FC – the aptly named Amado Guevara.

   - AP's blog <http://quotha.net/blog/1>
   -
   - Read more <http://quotha.net/node/2301>

 Emma Feltes: Laboratory, Honduras <http://quotha.net/node/2300>Mon,
06/11/2012 - 07:24 — AP

Click title for original piece in The Dominion:

June 8, 2012
Laboratory, Honduras <http://www.dominionpaper.ca/articles/4469>
Dueling truth commissions, ongoing repression, and Canada’s role in the new
Honduras

by Emma Feltes

TORONTO—Just over one year ago, renowned Garifuna leader Miriam Miranda was
brutally assaulted and illegally detained by police. “I have a scar on my
stomach from a burn caused by a tear gas canister fired at me at point
blank,” said Miranda, in an interview with The Dominion. It was a peaceful
roadblock in Triunfo de la Cruz—a Garífuna community on the north coast of
Honduras—when Miranda was hit with the canister, beaten, assailed with
racial slurs and jailed without explanation.

   - Read more <http://quotha.net/node/2300>