This will read better at the group page where the graphics are intact.
Sorry, Web mail insists at times on making an un-intelligible mess out of
some things. Scott

*Need any snake oil? If you live in the U.S., you've come to the right
place. Here the stuff flows free and easy, from the White House through the
halls of Congress, to the judiciary, all along the campaign trail.
Politicians and their enablers lie about the economy, lie about their
purported concerns, lie about what's happening right in front of our noses.
We can see that the economy isn't getting better; it's getting worse, and
it ain't "coming back." For those in a statistical frame of mind,
investigative journalist David Cay Johnston crunches the
numbers<http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/one_in_five_americans_are_jobless_or_underemployed_20120622/>
.*
*
*

------------------------------

*BRINGING THE WARS HOME*

*Apparently it's not enough that the U.S. is sending drones to maim and
murder people in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, and god knows where
else, now we discover that the Department of Homeland Security is using
them in the Caribbean and
Mexico<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2018512647_drones24.html>.
Can't keep the good stuff for everyone else; gotta bring it closer to home!
Plus there's money to be made. Military contractors keep making these
things, and the U.S. government -- meaning taxpayers -- have to keep buying
them. The excuse, of course, is the so-called "war on drugs," a boondoggle
that's now supplemented by the "war on terror."*
*
*
*Meanwhile, police departments all over the country are awash in DHS grant
money. So they're spending it, of course, on New and Improved weapons. Such
as armored vehicles. Even Berkeley,
California<http://www.ipsnews.net/2012/06/liberal-berkeley-poised-to-acquire-armoured-personnel-carrier/>,
home of protests and progressive politics. Cause you never know when you
have to run down a scary scofflaw in the streets. Better safe than sorry!*
*
*

------------------------------

*KILLING YOU TO MAKE A BETTER WORLD*

*Environmental activists are in increasing danger around the world,
including in this country, where some of the harshest prison sentences
around are meted out to them to send a message to others about what happens
if you go up against big money. But it's even worse in other countries,
where people are routinely murdered for trying to protect their local
rivers, lakes, and lands. The latest study reveals that more than one
person every week is murdered for environmental
activism<http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/06/19-2>.
So we've got the war on drugs, the war on terror, and the war on people who
get in the way of corporations making profits.*
*
*

------------------------------

*Need some summer reading? Yeah, me too. Long days at the beach, lazy
afternoons on the screened-in porch, breezy nights with the light left on.
So what could be better than picking up a new book that lays bare the truth
of what's going on in this country? The cover art alone on Charles
Ferguson's latest is worth the price of admission. As he says in this
interview, white collar criminality now pervades the U.S. And though I
disagree with him about Obama being the so-called lesser of two evils and I
won't vote for either him or Romney, I think the interview is worth reading
for Ferguson's other insights.  --Lisa Simeone*
*
*
*
*

Obama and Corporate
Crime<http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/06/12/predator-nation/>
Predator Nation <http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/06/12/predator-nation/>
*by RUSSELL MOKHIBER*
*
*
*
*

When Charles Ferguson accepted the Academy Award in 2010 for his
documentary film Inside Job, he told 30 million people viewing the award
ceremony that “three years after a horrific financial crisis caused by
massive fraud, not a single senior financial executive has been prosecuted
and that’s wrong.”

Two years later, still no prosecution.

So, now Ferguson is out with a book – Predator Nation: Corporate Criminals,
Political Corruption, and the Hijacking of America
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/030795255X/counterpunchmaga>(Random
House, 2012.)

It reads like an indictment.

Check that.

It reads like a number of indictments.

And Ferguson is hoping that federal prosecutors will pick up the book and
get some ideas.

And why exactly have there been no prosecutions of high level Wall Street
investment bank executives?

Politics?

“Not exactly,” Ferguson says.

“It’s important to bear in mind the direct personal incentive structures of
many of the people involved,” Ferguson told Corporate Crime Reporter last
week. “The revolving door phenomenon now affects the Justice Department and
federal prosecutors to a very substantial extent.”

“The previous federal prosecutor for the southern district of New York,
Mary Jo White, now does white collar criminal defense and makes a great
deal more money than she did as a federal prosecutor. I think that
phenomenon is very well entrenched, very thoroughly entrenched.”

“Indeed Lanny Breuer, the Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal
Division was head of the white collar criminal defense practice at
Covington & Burling. They represent most of the major banks and investment
banks in the United States.”

And his boss, Eric Holder, the Attorney General, came from the same firm.

“Exactly,” Ferguson said. “So, when you say politics, you sort of think of
Republicans, Democrats, ideology, large scale political and policy debates.
I don’t think that’s the only thing going on here. I think you have to
consider incentives – individual, personal, financial and professional.”

When Rudy Giuliani was U.S. Attorney, he had no qualms about prosecuting
Michael Milken. What has changed?

“One thing that has changed is that the amount of wealth and political
power held by the financial sector has gone up by at least an order of
magnitude,” Ferguson said.

“Another thing that’s changed is the amount of money that the financial
sector spends on politics and acquiring political power and influence has
also gone up by at least an order of magnitude.”

“And thirdly, the divergence, the difference between public sector salaries
and incomes and private sector salaries and incomes has widened enormously.”

“So again, for those at the level of large scale political behavior and at
the level of individual incentive, things have changed dramatically since
the 1980s.”

As an undergrad, Ferguson studied mathematics at the University of
California Berkeley and went on to study political science at MIT.

He then went on to organize an early software company – Vermeer
Technologies – which was sold in 1996 to Microsoft for a reported $133
million.

He was an early fan of President Obama.

“I donated my legal maximum to his campaign in 2008,” Ferguson says.

But at a press conference in October 2011, Obama addressed the question of
why no high level Wall Street executive has been prosecuted.

“So, you know, without commenting on particular prosecutions– obviously,
that’s not my job, that’s the attorney general’s job – you know, I think
part of people’s frustrations, part of my frustration, was a lot of
practices that should not have been allowed weren’t necessarily against the
law, but they had a huge destructive impact,” Obama said.

Does Ferguson still support Obama?

“I’m now very troubled,” Ferguson said. “I’m going to vote for him because
we face only two realistic choices, him and Mitt Romney, and between the
two, I still think that, for various reasons, he is by far the better
choice. He is the lesser of two evils and I can’t say that I will vote with
any happiness.”

Are you going to donate the legal maximum this time?

“I haven’t decided what I’m going to do,” Ferguson said. “I certainly would
find it emotionally difficult to donate money to his campaign given my
feelings about the situation and his conduct.”

What was Ferguson’s reaction when he heard Obama say – the actions “weren’t
necessarily against the law”?

“My reaction was very negative,” Ferguson said. “First of all the statement
is thoroughly inaccurate and incorrect, but secondly it’s very difficult
for me to believe that he doesn’t know that.”

“Given what we now know, it’s very difficult for me to believe that
President Obama actually believes that there was no significant criminality
in the housing bubble and the financial crisis.”

*Russell Mokhiber edits the Corporate Crime Reporter.*
*
*
http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/06/12/predator-nation/

participate*
 **
*email: libert...@hotmail.com*
**
*Tell your friends about LUV News because some people just don't get it*
*
*