Hi John

Your email worries me. I've had those problem as
I always have had older cars. There are additives
that you can plug up a leaking radiator. You can
also have the radiator removed and repaired for a
few bucks. If the head gasket is blown you can
pour an additive in the radiator to seal up the
leak. Don't let the mechanic bully or panic you.
Find another more friendly mechanic and first try
to patch the leaking problem. Good luck. Chuck

Chuck
quetzalcoat...@aol.com

Chuck

What happen is that on Saturday, one of the
hottest day of the year, I was driving around
Echo Park and noticed some coolant leakage.  I
checked and added some water,  didnt notice any
more leakage.  On the way home on the 5, all hell
broke loose, engine shut down.  I was able to get
off the freeway and had AAA tow me home.

On Sunday I got some coolant filled it up and
notice some leakage but couldnt tell if it was
the hose or radiator, so drove it to Pep Boys who
were open   Use them in the past and they were fast and cheap.

They called me back and told me they had to
replace the radiator, hoses etc from about
$600.  I blanch but didnt have a choose.
They called back and said they thought the
headgasket was bad but couldnt fix it till  out to Monday, $2500.

I called back later Monday and they said they how
had to replace the engine,  rod damage etc.  I
thought it was more but later they said it would be $3500  plus some extras.

I call the place where I got the car and they
used a mechanic who was really good and cheaper.

So I went with my landlady who had a receipt for
a radiator replacement for $350.  We went to Pep
Boys and they agree to meet that price.

Then I had it towed to the other mechanic and he
thought it might be around $2500 so its being
repaired.  Of course I dont have that much money
and I guess will have in incur interest on my credit card.

Fun in the city.

>Hi John
>
>Your email worries me. I've had those problem as
>I always have had older cars. There are
>additives that you can plug up a leaking
>radiator. You can also have the radiator removed
>and repaired for a few bucks. If the head gasket
>is blown you can pour an additive in the
>radiator to seal up the leak. Don't let the
>mechanic bully or panic you. Find another more
>friendly mechanic and first try to patch the leaking problem. Good luck. Chuck
>
>Chuck
>quetzalcoat...@aol.com

change-li...@change-links.org
http://change-links.org