FWD: ACTION: Protest SM Candidate Forum Exclusions

From: Jerry Rubin <jerrypeaceactivistru...@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:16:17 -0700
Subject: [LAAMN] ""SQUIRM NIGHT" CANDIDATE FORUM MAKING SANTA MONICA
SQUIRM FOR MORE INCLUSIVENESS

 > * PLEASE contact the S.M. Daily Press editor and tell him to NOT
EXCLUDE any City Council candidate: Call:
310-458-7737  Email:  edi...@smdp.com

 > "SQUIRM NIGHT" CANDIDATE FORUM MAKING SANTA MONICA SQUIRM FOR MORE
INCLUSIVENESS

 > The Santa Monica Daily Press has chosen to exclude 6 candidates
out of the 15 officially
 > qualified ballot candidates for Santa Monica City Council at their
annual "Squirm Night"
 > Candidate Forum, held October 15 at the Santa Monica Main Public
Library in the
 > Martin Luther King Auditorium.
 >
 > To a great many people in Santa Monica, the Daily Press decision
to weed out and exclude
 > candidates is distressing and un-Santa Monica.
 >
 > There are good reasons for people to be upset.
 >
 > 1.  The candidates all are qualified, and each had gathered the
100 necessary Santa Monica
 > registered voter signatures to become qualified.
 >
 > Recently, the City Council publicly debated whether  Santa Monica
Municipal Election candidates
 > should be asked to pay a filing fee and collect twice the amount
of signatures, but the Council voted
 > against changing the criteria, wanting to keep it open for
residents to have access to participate
 > in seeking office and furthering their civic involvement.
 >
 > 2.   The co- sponsoring neighborhood groups were not consulted
about the Daily Press last minute
 > decision or their criteria for candidate exclusion.
 >
 > The Daily Press has defensively tried to justify their actions,
but the fact remains that the rules should
 > have been made clear at the forum event planning stages, not one
week before the event is happening.
 > The sponsoring groups are upset and rightfully so.
 >
 > 3.   The decision to exclude certain candidates puts pressure on
their fellow candidates who were not
 > excluded.
 >
 > But, many of the other candidates did send letters to the Daily
Press publisher Ross Furukawa and editor
 > Kevin Herrera, urging them to reconsider and keep the candidate
forum inclusive to all 15 City Council
 > candidates.
 >
 > 4.   The Daily Press has in effect said by their exclusionary
action: "These excluded candidates are not
 > really worthy of your vote."
 >
 > Rather than letting the voters decide on November 6 who is worthy
of their vote, the Daily Press has already
 > to a large degree made it for them. They made the playing field
uneven. The Daily Press has in the past
 > made their endorsements publicly, and I expect they will again for
this election. That is fair, and so have
 > all the Daily Press candidate forums in the past been fair and
inclusive. The Santa Monica Mirror recently
 > hosted their "Hometown Forum", which included all 15 Council
candidates. That forum  was informative,
 > well organized, and served the community in a fully inclusive
responsible manner.

 > 5.  The City of Santa Monica advertises exclusively in the Santa
Monica Daily Press.

 > As the City's only daily news print publication, they have gotten
all of the City's advertising. The Daily Press
 > has a responsibility to the community. Their non-inclusiveness and
inflexibility to reconsider their decision
 > regarding "Squirm Night" does not serve Santa Monica in the open,
fair, and inclusive manner such a candidate
 > forum deserves.
 >
 > This is not about the Daily Press first amendment right to host
the forum any darn way they please.
 > It is about their responsibility to the sponsoring groups.
 > It is about their responsibility to all the candidates.
 > It is about their responsibility to the community.
 >

 > Thank you,
 > Jerry Rubin
 > Santa Monica City Council Candidate (one of the 6 unfairly excluded)
 > Peace Activist
 > 310-399-1000

- - -
###