---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Frank Tamborello <fr...@hungeractionla.org>
Date: Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Subject: hunger action day and more
To: food-advoca...@aumlist.com

*To All Those Interested in Food and Justice... *

* *

A (usually) weekly update on food issues, promoting access to sufficient,
affordable, healthy food ---with a focus on campaigns you can become active
in! ****

*Follow us *on Twitter @HungerActionLA . Welcome to all the new people on
the list: please respond to fr...@hungeractionla.org if you wish to use a
different e mail or be removed****

** **

*Thursday October 18, 2012:*

* *

***1.     ****Hunger Action LA Calendar: *

***a.     ****HALA Meeting Oct 26*

***b.     ****Hunger Action Day in LA Nov 1*

***c.      ****Awards and Dinner Thurs Nov 15*

***2.     ****After World Food Day, What Is The Hunger Situation Globally?*

***3.     ****Oct 24 is Los Angeles Food Day!*

***4.     ****Good Food Festival in LA, Nov. 2-4: *

***5.     ****Cornerstone Theater Presents “SEED: A Weird Act of Faith”,
Oct 25-Nov. 18*

***6.     ****Add Your Voice: Stop Dismantling Social Security*

***7.     ****Last But Not Least, There’s An Election On Nov 6*

* *

**
******

Hunger Action LA News****
****** ******* *

*            *

* *

* *

*Hunger Action LA meeting Friday October 26, 10 am-noon LAANE 464 S Lucas
Ave LA CA 90017: *Final planning and preparation for Hunger Action Day (see
below). ****

* *

*Hunger Action Day in LA: November 1: *

* *

Dear Friends and Allies,****

****

I want to personally invite you to an important morning of action on
Thursday, November 1st at 10am at City Hall.  I am sending you this because
of your commitment to building a vibrant, equitable and just food movement
for the City of Los Angeles.  Like you, I believe that our City can and
should be a place where everyone can freely grow, sell and distribute
healthy food, especially in food scarce neighborhoods.  Unfortunately, the
City of Los Angeles is home to some of the most egregious laws and
practices that prohibit people from doing this, including a growing crack
down on street food vendors, harassment and penalties for those who feed
the hungry and policies that prohibit the expansion of urban gardening
efforts.  ****

 ****

If you are like me, and you want our City’s leaders, policymakers and law
enforcement agencies to end the criminalization of LA residents who simply
want to put food on their tables,* then join us for Hunger Action Day on
November 1st.  *****

 ****

If you cannot attend, please feel free to spread the word.  Let me know if
you have any questions and if you are able to attend.****

****

In solidarity,****

****

Frank****

* *

*HALA Awards and Dinner November 15: *

*“*Honoring Champions against Hunger and Poverty”****

November 15, 2012 6:00 p.m. - Reception 7:00 p.m. - Dinner and Program****

Location: Kavar 4777 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90029 map****

We’ll be honoring various unsung heroes from the private, nonprofit,
professional and volunteer sectors who fight poverty and hunger every day
in their work! Rumor has it there will also be a monkey riding a unicycle!
For more and to pony up, follow the link below:****

** **

www.hungeractionla.org/dinnerandawards ****

** **

** **

**[image: Text Box: News, Events and Actions]**** **

** **

** **

** **

** **

** **

* *

*2. After World Food Day, What Is The Hunger Situation Globally?*

* *

World government farm ministers fail to reach agreement on holding
strategic reserves of grain and controlling speculation on food prices:****

** **

World Leaders Discuss Food
Prices<http://www.agprofessional.com/news/Governments-tackle-food-price-swings-disagree-on-stocks-174443771.html?ref=771>
****

** **

“During events at the 2012 World Food Prize taking place in Des Moines,
DuPont announced an enhancement to the Global Food Security Index that was
commissioned by DuPont and developed by the Economist Intelligience Unit
(EIU). The tool was designed to capture the impact of changes in global
food prices at the national level. In response to the rising cost of food,
the Index recorded a slight decline in global food security.” See:****

** **

Global Food Security
Index<http://agwired.com/2012/10/17/global-food-security-index-adds-new-feature/>
****

** **

With a billion going hungry now in the world and population expected to
increase by 2 billion more people in 2050, a growing list of national and
international leaders favors a shift to a more bottom-up approach to
development.  At the core of this approach is the cooperative business
model. Cooperatives are businesses owned and democratically governed by
their members. See:****

** **

Can Cooperatives Play Key Role In Fighting World
Hunger?<http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/foreign-policy/262555-global-population-crisis-creates-opening-for-cooperative-business-model>
****

** **

Huffington Post highlights ways to help feed hungry people overseas:****

World Hunger
Agencies<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/world-food-day-take-action_n_1968455.html>
****

* *

*3. Oct 24 is Los Angeles Food Day!*

* *

Please join the LA Food Policy Council & special guest speakers on Los
Angeles Food Day, Wednesday Oct. 24     ****

Featured speakers include:****

• Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa****

• Dr. Jonathan Fielding, Director of Los Angeles County Department of
Public Health and County Health Officer****

• Members of the Los Angeles City Council****

• David Binkle, Food Services Director, Los Angeles Unified School District*
***

Representatives from the LAFPC Working Groups will be on hand throughout
the morning to share progress on their initiatives and highlight exciting
recent accomplishments.****

*OCTOBER 24, 2012*

*9:00AM*

*Los Angeles City Hall*

*200 North Spring Street*

*Los Angeles, CA 90012*

** **

Meet at City Hall Rotunda, 3rd Floor****

We will proceed to Council Chambers shortly after****

For more information, please email: i...@goodfoodla.org****

#goodfoodla • www.goodfoodla.org****

** **

Following keynote remarks, we will move to City Council Chambers to
celebrate a Food Day Resolution****

presented by the Los Angeles City Council, declaring its support for Good
Food policy priorities and****

recognizing LA’s commitment to Good Food. THE FOOD DAY RESOLUTION calls for:
****

**·         **Equitable access to affordable, healthy food for all
Angelenos.****

**·         **Building healthy, vibrant neighborhoods and eliminating
health disparities through street food vending,****

**·         **urban agriculture, farmers’ markets and community market
conversions, and healthy school food****

**·         **environments.****

**·         **Creating markets to support local growers, sustainable
agriculture, and fair pay and working conditions for food chain workers. ***
*

** **

* *

*4. Good Food Festival in LA, Nov. 2-4: *

*            *

Join us and experience the movement that’s transforming the way we eat.****

** **

The Good Food Festival & Conference is a nationally-significant event
connecting the NGOs, businesses, and individuals who are driving the Good
Food movement. This November we’re back in Southern California with a big
weekend celebration, including panel discussions, entertainment and, of
course, great food.****

* *

The purpose of the Good Food Festival & Conference is to link some of the
best local farmers and family-owned producers of food and farm products
with the public, trade buyers and leaders in the field to foster
relationships that facilitate the growth of local food systems.
FamilyFarmed.org now works with many of the nation’s largest buyers of
local food including Whole Foods Market, Sysco, Compass Group, Chipotle
Mexican Grill, Goodness Greeness, and others to connect them with local
food sources.****

** **

http://goodfoodfestivals.com/la/ ****

** **

** **

****

*5. Cornerstone Theater Presents “SEED: A Weird Act of Faith”, Oct 25-Nov.
18*

** **

SEED: A Weird Act of Faith****

Written by SIGRID GILMER****

Directed by SHISHIR KURUP****

** **

October 25 – November 18, 2012****

** **

Experience the second play in Cornerstone Theater Company’s Hunger Cycle,
SEED: A Weird Act of Faith, a fantastical tale that travels between an
urban farm, a rural haven, and the contested space of agribusiness.
Inspired by the community of South Los Angeles and those fighting for
sustainable and healthful food choices, SEED follows a neighborhood
struggling to grow greens amid concrete. The only hitch? The gods have
deemed humanity bound for destruction, and our survival depends on the
success of one urban farm. SEED takes you on a journey where you’ll dig
deep into the dirt and ask, “What are we putting in, and what are we
getting out?”****

** **

TIMES & DATES****

October 25, 2012 – November 18, 2012****

Thursdays – Saturdays @ 8:00 pm****

Sundays @ 2:00 p.m.****

** **

*Note: no performances on Friday, November 9****

** **

Join us for our pre-show Produce Stand every weekend! Saturdays @ 6-8 p.m.
& Sundays @ 12-2 p.m.****

** **

LOCATION****

Chuco’s Justice Center****

1137 E. Redondo Blvd.,****

Inglewood, CA 90302****

** **

(At the corner of Redondo & West)****

** **

TICKETS****

Pay-What-You-Can, suggested donation $20****

For group sales ticketing options, contact Lea Blair.****

Limited tickets available at the door.****

** **

http://cornerstonetheater.org/seed ****

** **

**[image: Text Box: More News]**** **

** **

** **

** **

** **

* *

*6. Add Your Voice: Stop Dismantling Social Security*

* *

*From Social Security Works (an organization advocating to keep Social
Security from devastating cuts): *

 ****

Two days ago (Oct 16) the Social Security Administration announced that the
Social Security Cost Of Living Adjustment (COLA) for 2013 will be 1.7%.We
need your voice to stop those who want to CUT the COLA:****

** **

http://signon.org/sign/stop-dismantling-social-1?source=c.fwd&r_by=4660722 *
***

** **

The adjustment applies to the monthly payments received by the more than 56
million seniors, people with disabilities, spouses, divorced spouses,
surviving spouses, children, and others.****

Medical costs rose 4.3% this year, and with other costs going up rapidly
the 2013 COLA is not keeping up with the costs faced by millions of those
relying on Social Security.****

** **

That is why it is stunning that RIGHT NOW there are discussions in DC about
cutting future COLA. This would break faith with today's seniors and people
of all ages.****

** **

We need your voice to stop them. Click here to add your
voice.<http://signon.org/sign/stop-dismantling-social-1?source=c.fwd&r_by=4660722>
****

** **

Social Security Works has joined with Senator Bernie Sanders and SignOn.org
because we need an army of Americans to stand strong against this assault
by Wall Street on our foundational systems. Organized people can and will
defeat organized money, we just need to turn up the volume.****

** **

We can stop them. But we have to act now. Click here to add your
voice.<http://signon.org/sign/stop-dismantling-social-1?source=c.fwd&r_by=4660722>
****

** **

We aren’t going to stop those who want to slash millions of Americans’
earned benefits to pay for tax cuts for billionaires with a petition alone.
This petition is the first step in a campaign to make sure that every
single member of Congress hears directly from their bosses; the American
people.****

Nancy Altman and Eric Kingson****

Founding Co-Directors****

Social Security Works                    ****

* *

*7. Last But Not Least, There’s An Election On Nov. 6*

** **

If you are not registered to vote, or if you have moved or changed your
name, please visit the****

*California Secretary of State's
website*<http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vr.htm>today!
****

 Or you can also check whether you are registered and register at****

*http://www.canivote.org*<https://mail.communitychange.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.canivote.org/>
****

Hunger Action LA members recommend on California ballot propositions. All
relate to hunger and poverty in that 30 and 39 concern revenue that can
fund education and social services, reducing poverty: Prop 32 is about
allowing organizations to raise money for campaigns to elect people who in
turn can propose and enact such policies relating to the state budget: Prop
34 is about ending the costly death penalty: and prop 37 about our right to
know what is in our food:****

*Yes on Prop 30: *

**·         **Stop another $6 billion in cuts to our schools this year.****

**·         **Prevent steep tuition hikes for college students and their
families.****

**·         **Invest in our schools and colleges so we can prepare the next
generation for the jobs of the future.****

http://www.yesonprop30.com/ ****

*No on Prop 32:*

**·         **Prop 32 supporters claim the law will limit big campaign
spending from all sides.  But the reality is that it would restrict
everyday Californians from coming together to have a voice in elections
while creating massive special exemptions for the same groups funding the
campaign.****

**·         **Prop 32 exempts thousands of big businesses, which aren't
technically "corporations," but rather "LLCs" or "real-estate trusts" or
any other form of business structure. This includes hedge funds, big Wall
Street firms, insurance companies, and thousands of other business entities.
****

**·         **Prop 32 creates special exemptions for secretive Super PACs,
allowing them to continue spending unlimited amounts of secret money to
influence California elections.****

** **

http://www.stopspecialexemptions.org/ ****

*Yes on Prop 34:* ****

End the death penalty in California. There are lots of reasons, and some
that you wouldn’t suspect are in this editorial by San Francisco DA and
former police chief Greg Gascon:****

Support Prop
34<http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/14/4907753/yes-death-penalty-is-a-costly.html>
****

** **

Greg says that: (1) The criminal justice system makes mistakes and the
possibility of executing innocent people is both inherently wrong and
morally reprehensible; (2) My personal experience and crime data show the
death penalty does not reduce crime; and (3) The death penalty wastes
precious resources that could be best used to fight crime and solve
thousands of unsolved homicides languishing in filing cabinets in
understaffed police departments across the state.****

** **

http://www.safecalifornia.org/ ****

** **

*Yes on Prop 37:* ****

Genetically modified foods should be labeled. Already people have suffered
due to ingredients passed through those foods to which they were allergic.
We do not know the long term consequences of consuming   genetically
modified foods. We have the right to know what’s in our food, just as the
big food companies have the right to try to sell it. Studies potentially
link consumption of some GM food to cancer, and GM crops were shown
recently to be less drought resistant than conventional crops. That should
put an end to the canard that GM foods can end world hunger, or that food
prices will skyrocket if GM foods have to be labeled. ****

http://www.carighttoknow.org/ ****

** **

*Yes on Prop 39: *

Prop 39 closes a corporate tax loophole that costs Californians $1 billion
each year. At the end of the 2009 state budget negotiations, in a
last-minute, middle-of-the-night deal, lobbyists and legislators created a
tax loophole that rewards companies for creating jobs outside of
California. Prop 39 closes this loophole, bringing back much needed revenue
to reduce the budget deficit, help fund our schools, and invest in clean
energy and energy efficiency projects. Join us. Let’s close this corporate
tax loophole, restore fairness to the tax system, and bring dollars and
jobs back to California.****

** **

http://www.cleanenergyjobsact.com/ ****

** **

*Lastly: if you work for a nonprofit organization don’t be intimidated into
silence on how people should vote on ballot propositions.* From Alliance
for Justice:****

** **

In general, regardless of how it measures its lobbying, a 501(c)(3) can:****

• Publicly endorse or oppose ballot measures;****

• Propose ballot measures;****

• Draft language for ballot measures;****

• Organize volunteers to gather signatures on petitions;****

• Send staff to gather signatures or conduct other ballot measure campaign
work;****

• Contribute money to ballot measure campaigns;****

• Loan money to ballot measure campaigns;****

• Host ballot measure campaign events at their offices; and****

• Register people to vote and encourage them to vote for or against a
ballot measure.****

** **

http://www.afj.org/assets/resources/resource1/Ballot-Measures.pdf ****

** **

With so much corporate money blatantly influencing elections, it’s
important we know what our rights are.****

** **

** **

Frank Tamborello****