Yesterday I sent around a couple of articles from Pambazuka News, which I have
found so far to be a reasonably good source on Africa.  For anyone who didn't
see my earlier message, those articles are at

http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84373

http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84503

The second article links to an article by a former US intelligence officer,
John R. Schindler.  To me, Schindler's article has the "ring of truth," which
in my experience with teaching naughty, sad children is a really useful
criterion.  So, it is really helpful, I think,  for understanding the sad state
of "the land of a million martyrs."

http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/the-ugly-truth-about-algeria-7146

Also, I think a couple of videos and an article from sources more familiar to
Western readers are good for beginners, even though some people might even
disagree with me about that. The article from Schindler is deeper, though.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/1/15/admin_aids_french_bombing_of_mali
http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/9/tuareg_rebels_in_mali_declare_independence
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/14/mali-france-bombing-intervention-libya
 (Glenn Greenwald)

After you read Schindler, I think it becomes reasonably clear:  the French
(imperialists) really never left North Africa, and a generation after the
Algerian War, I'm told that a lot of the Algerian leaders school their children
in Paris and may even be French citizens. I haven't been able to verify this,
but I'm told this is what people on Aljazeera (in Arabic) blogs say.

The French say it best: "Plus csa change, plus c'est la meme chose."