1/28/12
January Newsletter: 4  More Years To Truly Move Forward!
In 2013  the peace and justice community has a full plate. This current
newsletter  is a reflection of the multi-issue agenda we face as we work to
turn our  nation from war to peaceful co-existence in the global community. Of
all  the issues we struggle with every day the one that has captured the
attention of most everyone around the country is the anemic economy and  what
to do to fix it. The _Jobs  Not Wars Petition Campaign_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qOYLqnltjtotBcEEqB8MQ7LWIvroRsMY)
  is an
important part of the answer to this  crisis. We in the peace community
understand that war is stealing  resources and starving our nation. The
petition is close to reaching the  goal of 50,000 signatures and we ask you to
reach out to your friends and  family to ask them to sign on. We are taking the
signatures to Congress  before their President’s Day weekend break in the
middle of  February.

In his inauguration speech President Obama made many  great pronouncements
that would lead us to believe his agenda for the next  four years will be
more progressive, moving his policies closer to what we  would like to see.

His statement that, “A decade of war is now ending. An economic  recovery
has begun.” would be wonderful if it were true. Yes technically a  recovery
has begun, but we know millions continue to be out of work with  many having
given up looking for jobs because there are none to be found.  We know that
there are continued threats of budget cuts which will lead to  more layoffs
and more unemployment. We know that Social Security,  Medicaid, Medicare and
a host of services to assist working and poor  people are under attack by
both major parties.

We also know that  the war in Afghanistan may technically come to an end,
but what of drone  warfare and air campaigns in Pakistan and Afghanistan?
What about covert  operations around the world including in Iran? What about
the support of  war and oppression in areas of conflict such as Gaza? Speeches
are nice  but we demand real action. We demand real change and we demand
real peace  and justice.

Of all the words in his  speech perhaps this phrase holds the most truth, “
You and I, as citizens,  have the power to set this country’s course.”

He got that right.  It’s up to us to set a course of peace and justice. Let’
s do it in  2013.

In the Struggle,
Michael  McPhearson
National Coordinator

____________________________________
Member Group Updates

____________________________________
Greater New Haven Peace Council

Over  the last half year and into the coming spring, the Greater New Haven
Peace  Council is bringing the message of peace and social justice to our
schools  and schools around the world and to the voters and of New Haven.
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=LzqM/Z+ybWbAkfKEAcJrvbLWIvroRsMY)

_Back to top_ (mip://01e13218/default.html#top)
Code Pink
On  February 7, the Senate Intelligence Committee with hold hearings for
the  nomination of John Brennan as head of the CIA. We urge you to sign on to
the letter below that we'll be delivering to the Committee urging them to
reject his nomination. While we don't expect to a rejection (it's very  rare
that the Senate fails to confirm a cabinet position), we will use  this
opportunity to call on Congress to rein in the drones.

You  can sign on either as an individual with organizational affiliation
for ID  only or as an organization. Please email laura.kac...@gmail.com with
the  way you'd like to be identified.

_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=liPI+66l212/iTAiq7FzILLWIvroRsMY)

_Back to top_ (mip://01e13218/default.html#top)
School of the Americas Watch

Join  the School of Americas Watch and thousands of united activists from
across  the United States and abroad as we return once again to Washington to
 carry the message of global unity and anti-militarization to the White
House.  Last year on April 16th, thirteen activists were arrested at  our
peaceful convergence as they stood in defense of unity and  justice.  This
year,
from April 8th through the 10th we will be back  in Washington, bringing to
President Obama and members of Congress the  renewed spirit of our
strengthened resolve to close the School of  Americas/WHINSEC.  Show your
support,
and join our chorus of voices  in solidarity with all people who have been
bullied by the forces of U.S.  imperialism.

We will come to the Capitol in defense of a  global right to dignity and
livelihood, and carry this message to the  streets with passion and faith!
Also join us on the 7th of April for  a School of Americas Watch Social to
meet with others who have been  inspired by the movement of the masses toward a
common future free of  oppression.  Remember that resistance requires
dedication, and  dedication requires love.

With love as our ammunition, we  know we will win!  For more information on
SOA Watch's April Days of  Action, or to learn how to get your community
mobilized. _Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5NrVo4VVpzUSqsA+HoBS+bLWIvroRsMY)

_Back to top_ (mip://01e13218/default.html#top)
Nevada Desert Experience

The  Sacred Peace Walk (SPW) is Nevada Desert Experience's premier event.
This  65-mile, annual pilgrimage to the Nevada Test Site (the NTS, now
officially the Nevada National Security Site) begins on March 23rd with an
orientation in Las Vegas and preparation for our six-day walk starting on
March
24th (Sunday). The Walkers arrive at Peace Camp on Thursday, March  28th
after a day walking in Vegas and three days in the desert. In between  is a day
of reflection at the Sekhmet Temple, vigils against drones at  Creech Air
Force Base, and a "Peace-over" Seder. The SPW concludes on  "Good Friday," as
we greet the sunrise with the Western Shoshone and  conclude with a Good
Friday liturgy and procession to the entrance to the  NTS later in the
morning. A fuller schedule, maps, registration and  background information are
available from the _peace  walk webpag_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=DVocS9oCDLbGv50E/31BEbLWIvroRsMY)
 e. For images and
reflections from 2012 SPW participants  check out the Summer Desert Voices.

We walk in the footsteps of  a long legacy of peace walkers and spiritual
leaders to draw attention to  the nuclear dangers that continue to threaten
our sacred planet and the  community of life. Please join us in transforming
fears into compassion  and apathy into action. As one repeat walker put it
last year, "The Sacred  Peace Walk reminds us that prayer is an active
process to engage in, not a  passive wish to indulge in. If you’re not careful,
you
’ll get sunburns,  blisters, and life changing experiences."

Contact Jim Haber, NDE  Coordinator, at 702-646-4814 or
j...@nevadadesertexperience.org.  _Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dm3E+OuP4eHnuyZ1caWxObLWIvroRsMY)

_Back  to top_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9LSSoDMSGwfFylDhqRcKz7LWIvroRsMY)

____________________________________

Upcoming Events

____________________________________
Stop the Frack Attack Summit

This  past summer, over 5,000 people converged on Washington, DC under the
banner of “Stop the Frack Attack.” We lobbied, learned, strategized, and
formed relationships to build a strong network of activists working  against
dirty and unsafe fracking. Now it's time to take the next step  towards
build a sustainable movement to stop fracking. Join us for our  first National
Summit in Dallas, TX March 2-4.

Scholarships  Available!  _

Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=WympY2dx6F+D8rklxt+MhrLWIvroRsMY)

_Back  to top_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=/TpOYBaDbwJZMh16c0Gxq7LWIvroRsMY)

Foward on Climate Rally Feb  17th!

On  Sunday, February 17, thousands of Americans will head to Washington,
D.C.  to make Forward on Climate the largest climate rally in history. Join
this  historic event to make your voice heard and help the president start his
 second term with strong climate action. 1. _

Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=M4zb14W1EHK8ZjwKUeGu5bLWIvroRsMY)

_Back  to top_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uX01018Z2NvJzqIO7374brLWIvroRsMY)

Expose AIPAC mobilization in DC on March  2-5, 2012

This  past year, AIPAC has provided cover for Israel to continue war crimes
 against Gaza with impunity, ensured the continuation of weapons transfers
to Israel and pushed for war on Iran. We need you to join us in Washington
D.C. to show the growing opposition to AIPAC’s influence and US complicity
in the oppression of Palestinians.

Last year we united under the  banner of “Occupy AIPAC”, linking the
actions of the Israeli Lobby and the  Occupy protest movement against corporate
lobbies. This year, we will  unite under the banner of Expose AIPAC to show
how AIPAC stands in the way  of a foreign policy that could lead to a just
peace in the Middle East.

_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=aVE2I2cEjp8uu4YRu0ge27LWIvroRsMY)

_Back  to top_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=BUpQokUnmnYksl8Q91uYErLWIvroRsMY)

____________________________________

Opinion's from UFPJ  Supporters

____________________________________
Service to Honor Dr. Martin Luther King  Jr.-Should Not Support War

By  Michael McPhearson

I am a veteran. Sitting in the sands of Iraq in  1991, I remember how
wonderful it felt to receive expressions of support  from home. I once received
letter from an elementary school class and it  made me feel good to know
that people back home cared about me, and wanted  me to safely return home.
Citizens coming together to think about service  members and take action to
support them is a good thing, but not in the  memory of Dr. Martin Luther King
Jr.

_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3/181Yax5/bEH6cbQUJ7U7LWIvroRsMY)

_Back  to top_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Qc0CYq5Ea9qwBCve5zgIDbLWIvroRsMY)

Making Green A Threat Again

By  Scott Parkin

The energy was there. It was an overcast spring  morning in April 2011 in
the nation’s capita1. Thousands had shown up to  take action on climate
change. The earlier march led us to the Chamber of  Commerce, BP’s Washington
D.C. offices, the American Petroleum Institute  and other office buildings
associated with oil spills, coal mining, carbon  emissions and more. We heard
speakers. We saw street theater. It was all  very tame and managed. It lacked
confrontation.

_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VnzPZK+5m00+4htntv/XALLWIvroRsMY)

_Back  to top_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bmgxx9rVSb5vpisAMhRaU7LWIvroRsMY)

Nixon Went to China, Who Will Go to Iran?

By  David Swarnson
Iranians  are now beginning to die for lack of medicines kept out by
U.S.-imposed  sanctions.  I recently questioned (and videoed) former U.S.
Secretary  of State Madeleine Albright about her notorious defense of sanctions
that
 killed over a half million young Iraqi children.  She said she'd been
wrong to say what she'd said.  She did not comment on the  appropriateness of
what she'd done.  I asked her if what we were  doing to Iran was also wrong,
and she replied, "No, absolutely  not."

So, somehow it is good and proper for us to be killing  Iranian children --
although perhaps not to be talking about it

_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YAQHBuN/4Gd3xlk53BACYbLWIvroRsMY)

_Back  to top_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=20ntEheGvOMcHyxCUzPiErLWIvroRsMY)

_Donate to UFPJ_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4u1yH+uFCamtJA0hN4BQx7LWIvroRsMY)
 - help  us continue this critical  work
Get  Involved with UFPJ
    *   _Legislative  Working Group
_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=F93cx7LwWVIKow0fwyfuTrLWIvroRsMY)
     *   _Afghanistan  Working Group
_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KydHzTk/yp9AqbCDTLbCXLLWIvroRsMY)
     *   _Disarmament/Redefining  Security Working Group_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nJY1x/SIGKfOd/EjyhWwhLL
WIvroRsMY)
_Click  here for a list of UFPJ Member Groups_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3LZJZ9+s34uFN6TN/31JObLWIvroRsMY)

(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=rdimzE8l7Ouqq7wyc9Z/r7LWIvroRsMY)

(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=DMdei6ls7yRxXc6jJwY4CLLWIvroRsMY)

Greater  New Haven Peace Council
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Yr0rQnNDEih6pmceLfbzJrLWIvroRsMY)

Code  Pink
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3tQyNQ33290Cm3dRmHkHvrLWIvroRsMY)

SOA  Watch
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6JzrbH6Ls/mxEOkl8iUQ0LLWIvroRsMY)

Nevada  Desert Experience
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=holjQi9T+CVckhOF++BEDLLWIvroRsMY)

Stop  the Frack Attack Summit
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=+K419+8QTouMZSphwWnJRLLWIvroRsMY)

Foward  on the Climate March
_
Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VjbknFnelt/X6io/0NUgv7LWIvroRsMY)

Expose  AIPAC
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=z6d7IWFXzaqlYZpeTvrwi7LWIvroRsMY)

Service  to Honor MLK's
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KDlNEACKiJKGWn03Nw4frLLWIvroRsMY)

Making  Green a Threat Again

_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kSzWAekXEYeLw03tRD7SBrLWIvroRsMY)

Nixon  went to China, Who will go to Iran?
_Read  More_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=DglE5sMlbvzJRQTGlrSyVLLWIvroRsMY)
   to  submit items for future newsletters,
please send a short, nationally  relevant paragraph to  ro...@unitedforpeace.org
You have received this email through your  subscription to UFPJ's national
email list.
Donations to United for Peace and Justice are tax  exempt to the extent
permitted by law. The Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR) is  UFPJ's 501(c)3
fiscal sponsor.
If you would like to make a donation by check, please  make it payable to
"FOR" and write "UFPJ" in the memo line.  Mail to: P.O.  Box 607, Times
Square Station, New York, NY 10108.

==

National  Immigrant Solidarity Network _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)