PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY

Below is an email from Diane Russell, a MoveOn member from Portland, Maine.
Diane started a petition on SignOn.org, the
petition site from MoveOn.org which allows anyone to start their own online
campaign.
If you have concerns or feedback about this petition, click
here.
________________________________

Pay cuts for federal workers should not exempt Congress or the President.

Sign
the petition
Dear MoveOn member,
Congress is about to impose furloughs amounting to a 20% across-the-board pay
cut for 800,000 federal employees, more than
44 percent of whom are veterans.1
And yet, where is the same 20% cut for Congress and the president? Are they not
federal employees? Aren't these the
people who keep telling us that everyone must share the burden?
The across-the-board cuts set to go into effect at the end of the week will
hurt the economy and they should be stopped.
But if Congress insists on cutting anyone's salary, they should cut their own
paychecks first. We pay their salaries.That's why I created petitionon
MoveOn.org's petition site,
SignOn.org, which says:
Any across-the-board pay cuts for federal employees must include the same pay
cuts for all members of Congress and the president
of the United States.
Click here to add your name to this petition, and then
pass it along to your friends.
It's up to us to demand that if members of Congress pass these unnecessary and
harmful
cuts—despite overwhelming public opposition—that they start with
themselves.
Thanks!
–Diane Russell
Source:
1. "Many federal workers facing furloughs are veterans," The Washington Post,
February 13, 2013
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=287733&id=63488-3339930-VPDphEx&t=5

This petition was created on SignOn.org, the progressive,
nonprofit petition site. SignOn.org Political Action Edition is licensed to and
paid for by MoveOn.org Political Action, which is not responsible for the
contents of this or other petitions
posted on the site. Diane didn't pay us to send this email—we
never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 7 million members—no
corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures
that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.