---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bilal Ali <mafundi...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Subject: SAVE THE DATE: COMMUNITY CONTROL OF THE POLICE MEETING
To: othla-core-organi...@googlegroups.com, May 19th Movement <
may19thmovem...@lists.riseup.net>, John A Imani <johnaima...@gmail.com>,
Michael Novick <antiracistaction...@yahoo.com>, Mary Sutton <
masutt...@earthlink.net>, Aim Santa Barbara <corin...@yahoo.com>, tiah star
<tiahs...@gmail.com>, "James M. Simmons Atty" <jmsa...@yahoo.com>, general
dogun <ste...@cangress.org>, kellyflor del <mskel...@yahoo.com>,
"dedon.kamathi" <dedon.kama...@gmail.com>, Kim McGill <freela...@yahoo.com>,
Gardenia Rivera <meetgarde...@yahoo.com>, Hamid Khan <janaa...@hotmail.com>,
cindy henderson <coz42...@hotmail.com>, javier rodriguez <
bajolamiradejav...@yahoo.com>, Kruti Parekh <kruti...@yahoo.com>, Pete
White <pe...@cangress.org>, Black Riders <blackrider...@yahoo.com>,
Thandisizwe Chimurenga <tchimure...@gmail.com>, Los Angeles Critical
Resistance <i...@mail.evite.com>, Diana Zuniga <di...@curbprisonspending.org>,
Bilal Ali <mafundi...@gmail.com>, "B. Kwaku" <n...@globalpanther.com>, Mo
Nishida <monish...@gmail.com>, Margaret Prescod <mpk...@gmail.com>

The Sisyphus Syndrome: ( In Greek mythology Sisyphus  was a king
punished for chronic deceitfulness by being compelled to roll an
immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to
repeat this action forever), whenever there is a atrocity committed by
the pigs the response has been righteous indignation by the people,
there are demonstrations, protest, press conferences, so-called chosen
leaders are trotted out for the purpose of chilling out the people’s
anger, promises of an investigations, and blood money is paid out to
relatives of the victims of pig terror and murder.  After all the
attention to the latest in pig terror everything returns to normal
until the next pig murder or atrocity is committed again at the hands
of the pigs.  This scenario is played out time and time again.  This
Sisyphus Syndrome has mostly been about a reactionary approach…we need
a more pro-active approach that builds people power…the necessary
power to change the genocidal practices of law enforcement in a racist
and capitalist social order. Because of this Sisyphus syndrome the
LAPD continues to be a notoriously racist institution.  The Rampart
Division scandal of the late 1990's is one recent reminder of how
racist and corrupt the institution is and continues to be. What Chris
Dorner's manifesto calls into question is the degree to which racism
is blatantly ignored, reasoned away, and legitimized in this society
in general and in law enforcement in particular. The Dorner manifesto
mirrors the deadly impact of racism and national oppression of people
of color.
The history of the LAPD has clearly shown that the LAPD has been
consistently unwilling to impose serious punishment for racist and
terrorist acts committed by LAPD officers either through internal
mechanisms, or by referral for prosecution.  Again it has been made
evident that the LAPD lacks in its effort to track problem officers or
implement any structural change proposed to ameliorate the problem.
This malfeasance of the public trust by the LAPD sends a clear message
to their officers who serve out “street justice”, that they will be
protected even awarded for their conduct and culture of racism, sexism
and violence.
Our research and investigations of the Board of Police Commissioners
informs us that (1) Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners is an
utter failure and creates an atmosphere of mis-trust on the part of
the people (2) Our findings also informs us that this board as
currently composed is not a solution to our problems with the police(
3) The Board of Police Commissioners acts merely as a Rubber-Stamp for
internal police investigation and cover-up (4) The board as currently
composed lacks real power and failure to confront lapd on
controversial polices..

Who Are the Police?
The state is the mechanism which guarantees the supremacy of the
ruling class. (Cutting off the arm cripples the ruling class). The
capitalists (or bourgeoisie) control science, education, culture and
all the levers of social power. This allows them to run things for
their own benefit and appropriate the lion’s share of social wealth.
To maintain their rule the bourgeoisie requires a monopoly of armed
power with which it can exert violence against those who might resist.
The police are the institution charged with the day-to-day exercise of
that power to coerce and suppress other classes when the preferred
means of persuasion do not work.
The police are not part of the working class, and their "unions" are
not part of the workers movement. They should be thrown out of all
trade union federations and other working class organizations. The
police serve as the first line of defense of capitalist property and
safeguard the dictatorship of the capitalist class over society. As an
arm of the state, the police are not neutral in any dispute between
the powerless and the powerful, workers and bosses, tenants and
landlords or oppressed and oppressor. Cops enforce a capitalist law
and order which places the interests of property, wealth and social
privilege above all else.

Occupy The Hood LA Action Assembly believes that the reign of terror
by the LAPD and by sheriff’s departments across the country including
the FBI, CIA and INS must be opposed.  This means mobilizing and
uniting a wide base of forces into a mass movement against police
oppression and terror.  Occupy The Hood LA Action Assembly is
committed to not only calling attention to the many instances of
police abuse, but also bringing people’s pressure to bear in calling
for and demanding community control of the police.
We will educate, agitate, organize and mobilize the people about our
human rights, train new leadership so that our people are can unite to
defend themselves and human rights from further attacks and unite as
many people and organizations as possible, so that in our numbers we
will the unity and strength to defend our homes, families and human
rights.  We will mobilize and rely on and give concrete direction to
the people in our communities to stand up for their rights against
police terror in the form of murder, beatings, harassment, racist
practices, insults and disrespect.

What: Community meeting to discuss forming a coalition to combat
police oppression
When: Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Time: 7:00pm
Location: TBA