Fukushima nuclear power plant suffers outage, fuel pool cooling stops
TOKYO, March 19, Kyodo
Tokyo Electric Power Co. said a power
failure occurred at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station just
before 7 p.m. Monday, leading to the suspension of systems to cool spent fuel
pools of the No. 1, 3 and 4 reactor units.
The incident so far has not affected the ongoing water injection to
the Nos. 1 to 3 reactors, which suffered core meltdowns in the early
days of the March 2011 nuclear crisis, according to the Nuclear
Regulation Authority. No major changes have been observed in
radioactivity levels detected by nearby monitoring posts.
As of 1:45 a.m., TEPCO has not been able to work out steps to ensure
bringing the system back online. The accident response center at the
station also suffered outage but power was restored shortly.

http://enenews.com/kyodo-tepco-hasnt-been-able-to-work-out-steps-to-ensure-bringing-system-back-online-at-fukushima-daiichi-no-major-changes-in-radioactivity-levels

Japan Diplomat: We don’t know what’s happening underground of Fukushima
reactors — Potential accident remains now (AUDIO)

Akio Matsumura, speaking at “The Medical and Ecological Consequences of the
Fukushima Nuclear Accident”, March 13, 2013 (h/t @chrisjcote):
[...] I have worked at the United Nations and other international organizations
in London and New York for 40 years [...]
>There are four major areas of concern that could cause a bigger disaster:
>       1. In reactors 1, 2 and 3, complete core meltdowns have occurred.
Japanese authorities have admitted the possibility that the fuel may
have melted through the bottom of the reactor core vessels. It is
speculated that this might lead to unintended criticality (resumption of the
chain reaction) or a powerful steam explosion – either event could
lead to major new releases of radioactivity into the environment. [...]
Audio excerpt of Matsumura’s speech, provided by Radio Ecoshock with host Alex
Smith:
At 2:30 in
>The invisible matter is we do not know what’s happening now
underground of the nuclear reactors.  When I talk to members of
parliament of Europe, my friends, they were under the impression that
already Fukushima’s solved. And when I talk to your leaders as well,
they’re surprised to hear what I’m saying. […]
>You cannot see the inside issue [at the reactors], so nobody knows.
That’s why people try to pay attention to policy issue. They forgot a
potential accident remains now. You’re talking a policy matter 30-40
years, you have time. But Fukushima doesn’t have time. That’s what I
told to all party leaders and I said to one of the cabinets, “My answer
is to improve this issue is maybe we might depend on the military.”
Listen to the broadcast here:

http://www.ecoshock.net/downloads/ES_130320_Show_LoFi.mp3
http://enenews.com/japan-diplomat-we-dont-know-whats-happening-underground-of-fukushima-reactors-potential-accident-remains-now-audio

Report: Research shows accelerated failure at Fukushima Daiichi

Source: SimplyInfo
http://www.simplyinfo.org/?p=8554
Date: December 3, 2012
New Corrosion Research Shows Accelerated Failure At Fukushima Daiichi
>The SimplyInfo.org research team has issued a new set of papers on corrosion
>factors at Fukushima Daiichi.
>The main paper “Spent Fuel Pools At Fukushima; Follow On Report – Corrosion”
>looks at corrosion factors in the spent fuel pools at Fukushima
Daiichi, it also looks into the ongoing corrosion of pipes still in use
to cool the melted down reactors. This paper also looks at the factors
such as the long term impact of sea water injection at the plant and the
ongoing uncontrolled water chemistry. [...]
>The corrosion issues at Fukushima Daiichi are concerning and merit
more immediate action to mitigate the potential consequences. [...]
Title: Spent Fuel Pools At Fukushima; Follow On Report – Corrosion
Source: SimplyInfo
Date: December 2, 2012
Emphasis Added
This is a follow up to a report [...] We have witnessed
several conditions in or around the spent fuel pools since the first
report. Foreign material have been introduced into the pools as a result of
cleanup on the main floor area, covering spent fuel pool #4 and
dropping a large steel beam into the unit 3 SFP. Cooling systems to the
SFPs have been shut off many times to make mechanical adjustments
causing fluctuations in pool water temperature
>Chloride levels in the SFP’s were extremely high (in the 6900’s ppm
as opposed to normal of 30 ppm or less) and were left unchecked for
months. (10) Every worst case corrosion analysis assumes Chloride levels at
least a factor of 10 lower for their extreme conditions. Some corrosion rates
have gone from 1mm to 10mm/yr which would suggest potential corrosion of the
structural parts of the fuel elements (lattice holders, springs, handling
assemblies, pellet holding tubing
and fuel pellet cladding. The spent fuel pools have had so many foreign
materials introduced that it is very difficult to pinpoint the chemical
makeup of the water. Season conditions around Fukushima have contributed to the
addition of dust and other foreign materials which can change
the chemistry in the pools. [...]
See also: Fukushima Daiichi Worker: I got worried about corrosion of pipes
after seeing new video of Reactor 1 -- One day pipes will break from slight
quake after
seeing how much they corroded in only a year -- Same risk at all four
reactors (PHOTO)
http://enenews.com/fukushima-daiichi-worker-i-got-worried-about-corrosion-of-pipes-after-seeing-new-video-of-reactor-1-one-day-pipes-will-break-from-slight-quake-after-seeing-how-much-they-corroded-in-only-a-year

http://enenews.com/report-research-shows-accelerated-failure-at-fukushima-daiichi